Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters in Film

poetman

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend films (from any period) that showcase typewriters in the film? I like All the President's Men and The Lives of Others, also the recent PBS Masterpiece Any Human Heart was great. What films have typewriters that you all can recommend?

Thanks!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Stanwyck, Christmas in Connecticut (1945)

Stanwyck.jpg

His Girl Friday (1940)

his-girl-friday-typewriter.jpg

Lily Powers

Practically Family
These films about authors: Starting Out in the Evening (2007) with Frank Langella and Lauren Ambrose (who was great in HBO's Six Feet Under) and Finding Forester (2000) with Sean Connery. Both have manual typewriters in them.

Classic films about reporters usually have a pretty good array of people using manual typewriters. Lee Tracy played quite a few reporters, and I'm not sure how many of his movies are on DVD, but Advice to the Lovelorn (1933) jumps to mind - he plays a hot shot reporter who gets demoted to an advice columnist.

And of course, Joan Crawford ("Oooh, you're a little stenogorapher""Yes, I'm a little stenographer") types away in Grand Hotel (1932).

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
poetman is nowhere to be seen .... it's cool, no prob ...:D

Like this one? Gotta use your imagination :p

[video=youtube;gWJBfvWjlk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJBfvWjlk0[/video]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Somehow, I'm reminded of "Schindler's List" and the scene where Schindler and Stern are typing up the famous "List". That was a great typewriter scene.

A live performance of Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter":

[video=youtube;g2LJ1i7222c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LJ1i7222c&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland