Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
I am so glad there is a thread on typewriters, would you mind casting your eye over the one I aquired yesterday?

01typewriter.jpg

I paid the equivalent of around $12 for it at our local market and have spent a couple of hours this afternoon cleaning it up, I originally bought it for display but found it to be in good working order, just needing a new ribbon. I must admit I have no idea at all when it comes to this kind of thing :eek:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
So here is my 1939 Remington::D

Typewriter1.jpg

As shown in the purchases thread.

And here is my 1920's Remington:
Typwriter2.jpg

I'm climbing the walls waiting for delivery, stupid customs likes to hold everything:mad:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh and Amber I meant to say earlier NICE Underwood!:)

I don't know much about them other than that they seem to be a very good typewriter.

Travis

Suspended
Amber DeCadence said:
I am so glad there is a thread on typewriters, would you mind casting your eye over the one I aquired yesterday?

01typewriter.jpg

I paid the equivalent of around $12 for it at our local market and have spent a couple of hours this afternoon cleaning it up, I originally bought it for display but found it to be in good working order, just needing a new ribbon. I must admit I have no idea at all when it comes to this kind of thing :eek:

As I've said before, I'm not exactly a typewriter expert, but I think that looks a lot like a 1931 Underwood Portable. Are the keys glass covered by any chance? Beautiful machine though. Thanks for the picture!

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Travis said:
As I've said before, I'm not exactly a typewriter expert, but I think that looks a lot like a 1931 Underwood Portable. Are the keys glass covered by any chance? Beautiful machine though. Thanks for the picture!

Thankyou for that, I've just checked and yes the keys are glass covered, I am very pleased with it and my children are fascinated too!

Travis

Suspended
Amber DeCadence said:
Thankyou for that, I've just checked and yes the keys are glass covered, I am very pleased with it and my children are fascinated too!

If the keys are glass covered I'd say it's a 1931. Great score. I'm jealous.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a rare one:

My Remington DeLuxe Portable Hebrew-Yiddish typewriter with red-black ribbon. The collector who sold it to me said it was 1950's. Came with the case, and it hasn't been touched yet, just got it. Anyone have any information on this?

typewriter_hebrew1.JPG

typewriter_hebrew1b.JPG

typewriter_hebrew1c.JPG

Vintage Betty

And a couple other typewriters I was given for free a couple weeks ago by someone who wanted to recycle them. I was originally going to pull the keys off to make jewelry, but apparently these aren't the correct models for that, so maybe I'll use them for bookends.

Vintage Betty

typewriter1.JPG

typewriter1b.JPG

typewriter1c.JPG

typewriter2.JPG

typewriter2b.JPG

Travis

Suspended
Vintage Betty said:
Here's a rare one:

My Remington DeLuxe Portable Hebrew-Yiddish typewriter with red-black ribbon. The collector who sold it to me said it was 1950's. Came with the case, and it hasn't been touched yet, just got it. Anyone have any information on this?

typewriter_hebrew1.JPG

typewriter_hebrew1b.JPG

typewriter_hebrew1c.JPG

Wow, what a gem. I'm not even going to pretend to have any knowledge about that one. Great find.

Vintage Betty said:
And a couple other typewriters I was given for free a couple weeks ago by someone who wanted to recycle them. I was originally going to pull the keys off to make jewelry, but apparently these aren't the correct models for that, so maybe I'll use them for bookends.

Where do you come across all of these?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh Betty I'm drooling right now, that Hebrew/Yiddish typewriter is flawless, and your book end idea is really cute! I never thought about using them as room decor in that fashion, I am so copying that idea if I don't get over this typewriter buzz of mine.

Speaking of which one of mine just arrived!!!!!:D I feel like a schoolgirl with a first crush this is so exciting, I can't wait to go home and open it up:D

Vintage Betty

Well, the funny thing is that I wasn't looking for any of these and don't collect typewriters. :rolleyes: I got all these in a two week period. I collect ***way*** too many things already; which is why I am giving stuff away on the Classifieds

I stumbled across the Hebrew typewriter by accident, and I will be using it to type sentiments on greeting cards that I create and donate regularly to a non-profit - it will be put to irregular use. If you want more info on this, PM me.

The typewriters were being given away on a recycling list. I was over at his house in about 15-30 minutes.

:eek:fftopic: And to boot, the nice man gave me an old monopoly game too so I can alter it for a craft project I want to do later this year. It was in a magazine article on the newstands right now; you change a board game and use pictures of family/friends as game pieces and board pieces. It's really a cool idea from a clever lady. PM me if you want the name of the magazine.

Vintage Betty

Travis

Suspended
Six months after the typewriter I found on Craigslist fell through (see above post for more info) I finally have the typewriter of my dreams. Once again scouring Craigslist, I found this beauty for only $20. It's in perfect condition other than the fact it needs a new ribbon. The guy who sold it to me said it belonged to his grandfather. It's a 1935 Underwood Universal Portable. Enjoy the pictures.

01typewriter_closed.jpg

02typewriter_open.jpg

03typewriter_front.jpg

04typerwriter_back.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:

I have this same typewriter: identical. My mother used it for years. I even have the fitted gray cover. :)

If you're ever in Orange, CA, go to Book Carnival on Tustin. They have quite a collection of antique typewriters scattered about the store.

Lee

"It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous." - Robery Benchley

panamag8or

Practically Family
We have a garage full of vintage typewriters. My Grandfather was an Olivetti sales guy, then he opened an office supply store and serviced them, along with Underwoods. We also have sales and service manuals, as well as correspondence from the main office.

There are probably 30-40 typewriters still in the garage, all vintage, some portables. I took some of the really banged up ones and clipped the keys to sell on the bay. The keys are worth more than the whole machines.[huh]

We have several old honking big adding machines, too. I could probably furnish that old office from upthread with some old chairs. Unfortunately, they aren't the 40's metal chairs that bring the big bucks. They are older all-wood chairs.

Travis

Suspended
panamag8or said:
We have a garage full of vintage typewriters. My Grandfather was an Olivetti sales guy, then he opened an office supply store and serviced them, along with Underwoods. We also have sales and service manuals, as well as correspondence from the main office.

There are probably 30-40 typewriters still in the garage, all vintage, some portables. I took some of the really banged up ones and clipped the keys to sell on the bay. The keys are worth more than the whole machines.[huh]

We have several old honking big adding machines, too. I could probably furnish that old office from upthread with some old chairs. Unfortunately, they aren't the 40's metal chairs that bring the big bucks. They are older all-wood chairs.

If you would be willing to sell any of those manuals, I would love to take them off your hands.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Travis said:
If you would be willing to sell any of those manuals, I would love to take them off your hands.

I'll have to dig through the mountains of paper to see exactly what there is.

Yes, Newport, it is a fun garage, actually 2 garages (3-car and 2-car), to look through. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what neat stuff there could be. A lot of it, though, is ephemera and things pertaining to local Gainesville life. Phone books, business directories, etc take up several shelves alone.

Then, there is my Grandmother's stash of tacky craft stuff and membership directories of every club she has been in... and there were many. That takes up an entire spare room inside the house.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Okay, I checked them out today. Most of them are in sorry shape, but there are several interesting ones. There are quite a few different models, including some 18-inch carriage models, and several portables in cases. We also found an old Hammond #12, but my Mom said she's keeping that one for now.lol

Some people cut the keys for eBay, and I have done that before with some of these. I think I hit the motherlode today, though... Greek Keys! I only found one of those today, but there might be more in a pile of parts machines.

We also found several check writers, including one from 1915, and a dictaphone that wrote to wax cylinders, a la Edison.:eek:

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I have a early 1940's Quiet Deluxe. Its in perfect shape. It belonged my friends grandfather when he was a journalist in Miami and was known to have been a very good friend of Ernest Hemingway who he would regularly visit in Key West.

Travis

Suspended
NicolettaRose said:
I have a early 1940's Quiet Deluxe. Its in perfect shape. It belonged my friends grandfather when he was a journalist in Miami and was known to have been a very good friend of Ernest Hemingway who he would regularly visit in Key West.

Sounds very cool. I love stories like that. Any pictures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR