Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters

poetman

A-List Customer
NicolettaRose said:
I have a early 1940's Quiet Deluxe. Its in perfect shape. It belonged my friends grandfather when he was a journalist in Miami and was known to have been a very good friend of Ernest Hemingway who he would regularly visit in Key West.

Yes, more stories, pictures?

Feraud

Bartender
I recently found this Smith Corona. It is in vg condition and only needs a new ribbon.
DSC02341.jpg

DSC02342.jpg

DSC02344.jpg

DSC02343.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
Here is my Smith-Corona Super Speed.

sctype1bp6.jpg

sctype2xw5.jpg

Its in great shape, just needs a bit of servicing for some sticky keys and a new ribbon.
I bought it off a guy who found it in a abandoned building in Des Moines that was marked for demolition a couple years ago.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Just trying to keep up

LEUII said:
I just found this thread. I love old typewriters. And, I use them. I'm partial to Underwoods. That 'u' in LEUII means something
LEUII said:
LEUII is my name! Well, sort of. It is my initials with a Roman numeral II to denote Junior.

Hunh, and here I was thinking something more along the lines of:
LEUII
Late Edition Underwood II:
the Underwood portable typewriter of choice
lol​

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My Royal, salvaged from the dump c. 1986.

typewriter.jpg

During my radio days I wrote over 10,000 pages of news copy on this machine, tapping away six days a week. It never needed service, and I got all the free ribbons I wanted by helping myself to the supply for the teletype machine (they had to be wound onto the Royal's spools before they'd fit, but my resistance to getting my hands inky took second place to my extreme penuriousness.)

I still use this machine for things like addressing envelopes and other such functions, and it still types as nice as ever. Probably it'll outlive me.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:

typewriter.jpg

During my radio days I wrote over 10,000 pages of news copy on this machine, tapping away six days a week. It never needed service, and I got all the free ribbons I wanted by helping myself to the supply for the teletype machine (they had to be wound onto the Royal's spools before they'd fit, but my resistance to getting my hands inky took second place to my extreme penuriousness.)

I still use this machine for things like addressing envelopes and other such functions, and it still types as nice as ever. Probably it'll outlive me.

What a great salvage story!

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if one of you would be willing to explain the process of dating a typewriter.I have an Underwood and as I was looking up serial numbers today on the typewriter database I just became more confused than I was to begin with! If I have the correct number it is 2377884-5. I didn't know if they just round up the number or disregard the dash.I obviously have no idea as to how to figure out the age, but any help that you could offer would be very much appreciated! Thank you!:)

Travis

Suspended
Small Town Girl said:
I was wondering if one of you would be willing to explain the process of dating a typewriter.I have an Underwood and as I was looking up serial numbers today on the typewriter database I just became more confused than I was to begin with! If I have the correct number it is 2377884-5. I didn't know if they just round up the number or disregard the dash.I obviously have no idea as to how to figure out the age, but any help that you could offer would be very much appreciated! Thank you!:)

Do you have a picture of it?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

typewriter.jpg

Just goes to show you what a little bit of TLC will do for vintage items. Most were built to last forever, opposed to the disposable mentality of today's society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner