Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typical newbie questions?

Chuck

New in Town
Hey ya'll!

I've been lurking here for a month or so trying to glean as much info as possible. So far, I've learned a lot.

But... (typical, obvious questions to follow) :rolleyes:

I'm ready to buy my first "real" hat, probably a fedora. I've found the following on ebay and was wondering if this is a "good" hat, or something I should avoid, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8161582776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Specifically, any idea of the vintage?
Typical price for something like it?

Maybe a better question would be, "What should I look for when buying a vintage fedora?".

Any and all help would be appreciated!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge Chuck. It is a decent hat...especially considering that size is harder to find. The brim is only 2" though. At that size it is a stingy brim. If you like that, you are set. Dobbs is a quality hat.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome aboard!

MK is correct. This hat is 1960 ish...

If you like it, go for it. I did not look at the bid price. If you want one custom made, you can also find a couple hatters here on the Lounge that can hat you up!

Chuck

New in Town
typical brim size?

Thanks guys...

The brim does look small. What would be considered a typical (or desirable) brim size?

7 5/8 vintage hats seem to be hard to find. Any good sources other than ebay?

up196

A-List Customer
Kinda neat . . .

. . . that it was sold by a shop in the General Motors Building in Detroit. Might be just the thing to wear while driving a vintage GM car, which, of course, you will have to get to go along with the hat! See how these things get out of hand? Welcome to the Lounge . . . Tom

Canadave

One Too Many
Chuck said:
The brim does look small. What would be considered a typical (or desirable) brim size?

7 5/8 vintage hats seem to be hard to find...

Welcome, Chuck.

Most guys here seem to favour 2 1/2" brims, but it's totally personal taste. That's a nice looking hat.

Hey jamespowers, just what you need...competition on the 7 5/8s! :cry:

David

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Good looking hat

Chuck, this is a good brand and so far, a fair price. In my store I would retail this for about $65 so with the shipping, if you got it at this price, you will have a bargain.
Welcome to the Lounge

Canadave said:
Hey jamespowers, just what you need...competition on the 7 5/8s! :cry:

AHHHHHHHHHH! :p
Ah yes, another fellow vintage hat hunter. Welcome. Dobbs is sort of a favorite of mine as well. They made some really nice hats if you can find them in our size. ;) Not many big headed people in the old days I guess.
I agree with the other comments here concerning age and the price you got it at. When you find a vintage hat in a good size, it is going to cost you more because there are more people looking for a limited supply. There are, of course, custom hatters that will do a good job making a hat in our size. Sometimes, if you know what you want, this is a good way to get it. ;)

Regards,

J

Victor

One of the Regulars
I found a perfect condition tight weave mexican made straw fedora in 7 5/8 at the same goodwill that I got the steamer.Its earmarked for a friend of mine with a large head. I think it will suit him. Its VERY rare to find mexican hats that large!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Quote: "there are more people looking for a limited supply"

No kidding on that one JP, ebay is looking very sparse these days and the ones that are quality are going much higher.

fedoralover

fedoralover said:
Quote: "there are more people looking for a limited supply"

No kidding on that one JP, ebay is looking very sparse these days and the ones that are quality are going much higher.

Yeah, time to look for different avenues if you want to find a nice vintage hat cheap that is for sure. If you find that avenue---let me know. Privately of course. :p ;)

Chuck

New in Town
I got my first fedora!

Thanks to everyone's help, I went for it and won the vintage Dobbs fedora on ebay! :)

I probably paid too much, but I got caught up in the rush of bidding. Anyway, it looks like a great hat, and I can't wait to get it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran