Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U-Boat Crewman Impressions

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

While some here know I only do an "on board" impression, I am more than willing to talk with others who may be interested in putting together an impression for WWII events.

The nice thing about doing an on board impression is that it can be quite inexpensive compared to many other types of impressions and that one can be a bit creative too.

It can be as inexpensive or expensive as you want it to be.

I do an early war impression - but using the last rank awarded.

Currently, I am debating on whether to use the U-Boat denim drill pants or the captured British P38 pants - this is regarding captured British uniforms from Dunkirk and used by the U-Boat crews - (as I only attend Reading's WWII weekend - and for the most part it is warm at that event).

The thing I've noticed that people compliment me the most on, are my cap, medals, and jacket. I always say attention to the details. I bought high quality medals from Soldat, and my cap is also from Soldat. I had aged my jacket (buttons, 'piston rings', and stars - and when I had my old NS eagle, that too) with flat black enamel model paint. Many asked if they were original.

For photos please see my blog link in my profile, and would be happy to continue from there with any questions.

Thanks.

Prien

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
My friend at work last Halloween dressed as a U-boat crewman. He had ordered some Denim Battle Dress. It was the first time I heard Germans using captured clothing. I know they used captured M-1 Carbines. They even had a re-issued name for them that I forgot.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Cool we need U-boat crew men to surrender at Fort Miles! Seriously www.fortmiles.org. In Lewis, DE. Sometimes we recreate the surrender of U-858. Or portions thereof with the crewmen being moved under armed guard, One guy, I forgot his name does a bang up representation of Kapitanleutnant Thilo Bode and comes out to do the formal surrender.

Matt

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
MPicciotto - If you're talking about the event that happened in 2007, that would have been me that was there. I got volunteered to be the surrendering captain. I haven't been down there since then though.

DannyBoy - Yes - they're far from me, but I could perhaps give them info. via email.

I have moved all my stuff from my blog site into my Time Warp Living account - but am still willing to send info via email...I chose to do this because I can have everything there (as the site has many features - blog, photo albums, etc.) And right now I'm continuing to get some original and repro/modern civilian items for my apt. Tomorrow, I'm off to Adamstown - Antique Capital to see if there's things I can get on my list.
:)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Prien said:
MPicciotto - If you're talking about the event that happened in 2007, that would have been me that was there. I got volunteered to be the surrendering captain. I haven't been down there since then though.

Sure glad what I said was complimentary :D Or else it would have been a severe case of foot in mouth disease for me:eek: Seriously though I can look at photo's of Captain Bode and look at you and well... Much cooler then some of the Patton reenactors out there who just want to have shiny stars on their coats and yell a lot. The fort is still being restored and events are still being held there, 3 or so each year. I'm sure you'd be welcome down again.

Matt

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
MPicciotto - lol Thanks. :)

Well, I wasn't sure if they had found someone since I was last there to take my place. I spoke with a reenacting friend of mine, who just got himself the British uniform to wear as he also does Kriegsmarine, to the event there this year.

Frankly, when I got volunteered to do that - I was very nervous, as I have never done anything like that before, but everyone said I did well. They are a wonderful unit to work with too and am thankful that the C.O. of the one American unit 'fought' to get Kriegsmarine reenactors in down there - as he and I talked quite a bit about it when I was down there.

It's a wonderful place - my favorite spot, when my friend and I, along with others toured the fort, was this little look-out spot (I'm sure you know the area I'm talking about) - you can watch the ships come and go up and down Delaware Bay there.

I did check out Ft. Miles' site not too long ago, and am happy they are coming along well with the fort restoration. I got to hear of what they wanted to do when I was there visiting and it is so nice to have something relating to the U-Boats here in the U.S.

The uniform that I wore there, I no longer have (except my commander's cap, boots, and medals) as I outgrew the pants and am switching things around a bit.

I don't have that type of disposition to go around yelling a lot - and as far as all the shiny stuff goes - I even feel awkward wearing my medals at Reading because I wind up feeling like some sort of 'eye candy' - when actually most U-Boat crewmen didn't wear their medals (there were cloth types made one could sew on if one felt inclined - but not many did) - because of all the projections in the boat that they could get stuck on. I wanted to see how people would react if I didn't wear any medals and just went as a regular U-Boat commander normally would - and not many noticed me. That's ok though - even without them, one sticks out like a sore thumb at events as there aren't many Kriegsmarine impressions to begin with. [huh]

I do hope to visit again though.:)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Prien,

I think it's great that you are representing that aspect of the war. Besides being the most NON-political branch of the German military, submarines are just plain scary things. It took a special person to serve on U-boats. I love boats but I like to be able to see the top of the water myself.

Matt

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello Matt,

Thanks I appreciate the compliment.:) I understand when doing a naval impression (from either side) that some say it tends to be awkward considering - no boat or no ship, but that shouldn't stop anyone from doing it - how else can other folks learn?...maybe they want to do one too.

This year at Reading, it was nice to see even more naval impressions. I didn't catch any Kriegsmarine - but there may have been some there. As far as I know, I'm one of the only two U-Boat commanders that are around this area.

The only others that I am aware that do Kriegsmarine, aside from me (this includes both U-Boat and surface fleet) are 6 others...and out of those 6, 4 I got to talk with for an extended period of time. Out of that 4 - 3 do U-Boat crewman. So, as you can see, it is obviously very under represented. Although, I know that since talking with others over the past two years, more are putting together the uniform (either dress uniform or an 'on board' uniform).

The service on a submarine is what most people overlook - that the training and education for it (especially pre-war) was very tough. There was only a certain percentage that passed.

Where it concerns my involvement - the Niobe disaster is what led the Navy (at the time called the Reichsmarine - wasn't named Kriegsmarine until 1935) to opening up to the Handelsmarine (German Merchant Marine) officers. There were 15, if I recall the number right, that signed on - Bleichrodt was another well known one of that 15. That was Crew 31/33 - joining in the year 1933, but due to the prior education and training in the Handelsmarine they are referred to as such.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy