Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Army considers new uniforms

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
marineabilly said:
Depending on what your Higher Headquarters directs, pretty much all services require you to wear your utilities while traveling home on leave from Iraq. I wore my desert digitals home from Iraq this past summer and although it was comfortable on the flight and with all the hurry up and waiting going on, it would’ve been nice to wear “civies” or other form of service uniform – Service “C’s,” perhaps? Some Soldier’s got to change into their civies upon arrival in Kuwait. We had a very warm welcome home from the kind folks at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport, though, so it was definitely nice to be in uniform then… Bottom line, with the worlds current events, utilities will be the norm for all services.

I would love for the Marines to bring back the short “Ike” jacket – now this was a SHARP uniform…

marineikejacketmay51950camppendleto.jpg

Yes, it would be nice, but again the question is when would you be able to wear it, since utilities/fatigues are now the daily uniform? As for the Army, the Ike jacket would no longer be practical; they wouldn't look good as a Dress Blue option.

I, too, came home from Iraq in my fatigues, tan DCUs to be exact. While it was nice to be singled out as someone coming home from in-country, Class As or Bs would have been more appropriate and sharper.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
Yes, it would be nice, but again the question is when would you be able to wear it, since utilities/fatigues are now the daily uniform? As for the Army, the Ike jacket would no longer be practical; they wouldn't look good as a Dress Blue option.

Oh man!! I'd wear this EVERY chance I got. The moment I found out the Marine Corps had the "Ike" jacket some years ago, I had to get one. I have a great size 38 hanging in my closet in pristine condition. Although, by the way this officer looks in his, I think a size 36 would be more appropriate.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
That is the parade deck on mainside Camp Pendleton back in May 1950 (near the football field/gym). The event was some sort of pass and review where John Wayne was the guest of honor. If you are familiar with that area (13 Area), you can see that the building accross the street is the home of today's 1st MarDiv HQ building "The White House."

I found it under Googles Life archive: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=camp+pendleton+source%3Alife&gbv=2

Subvet642

A-List Customer
One of the many reasons that I chose the Navy was the fact that they were just changing back to the traditional "Crackerjack" uniform. Every detail of it has a story, and you can't mistake a "Squid" for anything else. And futhermore, they were real wool. Wicked sharp! A Sailor should look like a Sailor. And the same should go for Marines, Soldiers, and Airmen. With apologies to the Marines, I do like the "Billy Mitchell" stand up collar for the Air Force, but make them just like they were during WWI, and I do mean with jodhpurs! I think that as long as it has precedent, why not?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
marineabilly said:
Oh man!! I'd wear this EVERY chance I got. The moment I found out the Marine Corps had the "Ike" jacket some years ago, I had to get one. I have a great size 38 hanging in my closet in pristine condition. Although, by the way this officer looks in his, I think a size 36 would be more appropriate.

I've got what a believe is a size 36, Korean War-era Marine Ike in my closet, perfect condition, along with what appears to be WWII Army Ike which has seen some use.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here, here...

Subvet642 said:
One of the many reasons that I chose the Navy was the fact that they were just changing back to the traditional "Crackerjack" uniform. Every detail of it has a story, and you can't mistake a "Squid" for anything else. And futhermore, they were real wool. Wicked sharp! A Sailor should look like a Sailor. And the same should go for Marines, Soldiers, and Airmen. With apologies to the Marines, I do like the "Billy Mitchell" stand up collar for the Air Force, but make them just like they were during WWI, and I do mean with jodhpurs! I think that as long as it has precedent, why not?

Exactly!

Staredge

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
The class B looks like Civil Air Patrol. I'm sure the Army will appreciate being mistaken for high school kids. The class A's look like doormen. All that gobbledigook. This implies something rather unsetling about the mentality of the people in charge of this matter. Toy soldiers. Saber rattlers. Our people deserve better. What gives the marine uniform its class is its SIMPLICITY.

HEY!!!!!! :rage: Back when i was in Civil Air Patrol (USAF Auxiliary, with a long & proud history of our own...including two submarine kills) we wore the regulation USAF uniform. Now, as to how WELL we wore the uniform....well we were technically civilians. For my cadet squadrons part, we wore it to the best of our abilities...and a darn sight better than some of the ANG members on the base we met at. I know that they've now added a grey & white uniform for the Senior members. Not sure how I feel about that.

Semper Vigilans!
Cadet Squadron 111
Arizona Wing
Civil Air Patrol

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
I come from one of those families where joining the military is just a part of life. I learned to read a uniform shortly after I learned to swim and cannot recall a time in my life when I could not do both. When my father retired from the US Army as a Colonel, he hosted a dining out (formal military dinner party) and all of the myriad relations dusted off their mess dress uniforms and showed up. I was in the army at the time (been both blue and green in my time) and wore the enlisted mess dress blues (a rare sight but directed by the Colonel) We all felt pretty sharp looking until cousin Vince shows up in his Marine Officer's Mess dress with boat cloak. His arrival was well timed the room seemed to part before his matador splendor. With a practiced flourish of Blue and Red he removed his cloak and handed it to the coatroom attendant.:cool: It was one of the coolest things I have seen outside of film. I have wanted one of my own ever since.

Here is a photo of three generations My grandfather, father, and me, the lowly SGT on the right
ThreeTomsThreeUniforms.png

It is interesting to note that my grandfathers mess uniform had real gold bullion thread for all of the piping. Even the braids on his trouser seams were bullion. Very cool but Very heavy.

Doc

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I would love to see the Army go back to WW2 uniforms but I want to see the Navy do it even more, but for selfish purposes as my boyfriend is in the Navy

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
marineabilly said:
WWII UNIFORMS
675px-MarineMajor-3uniforms.jpg

QUOTE]

Where did they find three blokes who look so alike ? Were they specially cloned by the US Army ? :p :p

Dave​

Ok so the Navy's Choker Whites still look like that and that is deffinately my favorite uniform. I love when my Paul wears his chokers they are so wonderful and he looks super handsome in them.​

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
DocMustang said:
Here is a photo of three generations My grandfather, father, and me, the lowly SGT on the right
ThreeTomsThreeUniforms.png

It is interesting to note that my grandfathers mess uniform had real gold bullion thread for all of the piping. Even the braids on his trouser seams were bullion. Very cool but Very heavy.

Doc

Looking good, all three of you. Yes, bullion was used until perhaps the '60s, and it was solid-looking. My Dress Blues were originally owned by an Army officer who served during the Vietnam War, and are of a heavier wool than is now normally available, at least at Clothing and Sales. As a member of a color guard unit, I spent many hours in the sun paying for the sharpness that my uniform afforded me (but it was worth it :D ).

Otium

New in Town
Curse the good stories!

DocMustang said:
I come from one of those families where joining the military is just a part of life. I learned to read a uniform shortly after I learned to swim and cannot recall a time in my life when I could not do both. When my father retired from the US Army as a Colonel, he hosted a dining out (formal military dinner party) and all of the myriad relations dusted off their mess dress uniforms and showed up. I was in the army at the time (been both blue and green in my time) and wore the enlisted mess dress blues (a rare sight but directed by the Colonel) We all felt pretty sharp looking until cousin Vince shows up in his Marine Officer's Mess dress with boat cloak. His arrival was well timed the room seemed to part before his matador splendor. With a practiced flourish of Blue and Red he removed his cloak and handed it to the coatroom attendant.:cool: It was one of the coolest things I have seen outside of film. I have wanted one of my own ever since.

Doc

I really wish you didn't share that story. I had all but talked myself out of a boat cloak and now I don't know if I can resist, especially with enough found cash heading my way to get it and not feel it.

The bad thing about this site is it ends up costing me so much stinking money.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Otium said:
I really wish you didn't share that story. I had all but talked myself out of a boat cloak and now I don't know if I can resist, especially with enough found cash heading my way to get it and not feel it.

The bad thing about this site is it ends up costing me so much stinking money.

I know I want one. However I do not think I will ever own one. Even at the Navy or Submarine ball I doubt I would ever have the guts to wear it. I think I would run the risk of becoming "that guy". You know the one I am talking about. The kind of primadonna who wears his bridge coat with his khaki's just because he can. Or the jackass who wears gold bullion shoulder boards with his summer whites. (FWU's) Pick yourself up Marlowe-White Mess Dress jackets instead. Only after you have a mess dress uniform worthy of the boat cloak should it be purchased.
Doc

PS I am assuming you already have both Brooks Brothers Blues, a Bridge Coat and a decent dress sword. If not pick them up first you'll get more use out of them. It may also be worth your time to get a membership in the Army Navy Club in DC.
D.

Otium

New in Town
DocMustang said:
I know I want one. However I do not think I will ever own one. Even at the Navy or Submarine ball I doubt I would ever have the guts to wear it. I think I would run the risk of becoming "that guy". You know the one I am talking about. The kind of primadonna who wears his bridge coat with his khaki's just because he can. Or the jackass who wears gold bullion shoulder boards with his summer whites. (FWU's) Pick yourself up Marlowe-White Mess Dress jackets instead. Only after you have a mess dress uniform worthy of the boat cloak should it be purchased.
Doc

PS I am assuming you already have both Brooks Brothers Blues, a Bridge Coat and a decent dress sword. If not pick them up first you'll get more use out of them. It may also be worth your time to get a membership in the Army Navy Club in DC.
D.
If you must know, I went with a military tailor rather than go with the Navy issue, nicer material. I've got the mess dress (black and white) but didn't go Marlow, different source. Did go to Marlow for the sword, no mistake there, worth every penny. My wife said that I was far too much like Tony Curtis in Operation Petticoat since I was the snappily dressed supply officer on my sub. (Great move by the way.)

I guess I'm already "that guy" since when it is cold I do wear my bridge coat with khakis for the eminently practical reason of warmth (khakis are a tropical weight). The relax jacket and rain coat aren't warm enough and I don't have a reefer so the defacto winner is the O-coat, plus it looks good. Funny enough only one officer every laughed at me while everyone else (officer and enlisted) started asking how much it cost and where they could get one. It was a life saver up in the Groton CT winter.

Must take issue with you on the summer whites, officers are required to wear the shoulder boards with that uniform so you're not really doing anything special.

My CO has also strongly encouraged me to go Army Navy Club here as well, I just haven't had the time to look into it yet. Now that you mention it, it could be worth the time.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Otium said:
If you must know, I went with a military tailor rather than go with the Navy issue, nicer material. I've got the mess dress (black and white) but didn't go Marlow, different source. Did go to Marlow for the sword, no mistake there, worth every penny. My wife said that I was far too much like Tony Curtis in Operation Petticoat since I was the snappily dressed supply officer on my sub. (Great move by the way.)

I guess I'm already "that guy" since when it is cold I do wear my bridge coat with khakis for the eminently practical reason of warmth (khakis are a tropical weight). The relax jacket and rain coat aren't warm enough and I don't have a reefer so the defacto winner is the O-coat, plus it looks good. Funny enough only one officer every laughed at me while everyone else (officer and enlisted) started asking how much it cost and where they could get one. It was a life saver up in the Groton CT winter.

Must take issue with you on the summer whites, officers are required to wear the shoulder boards with that uniform so you're not really doing anything special.

My CO has also strongly encouraged me to go Army Navy Club here as well, I just haven't had the time to look into it yet. Now that you mention it, it could be worth the time.

If I gave offense I apologize. Having spent 2 winters in Groton as a "dirty blue shirt" I completely understand wearing the bridge coat. Those CT winters are brutal. The damp air, inability of the terrain to hold in any heat and the way the wind whips around on lower base, perfectly reasonable. I think though I would wear my combination cap with the bridge coat. Somehow the garrison cap feels wrong and :eek: command ball cap :eek: would make you "that guy".

As to the shoulder boards, I have 2 different sets. For Summer whites I wear the issue boards. When I wear Full dress white or dinner dress white I have a set that are made with gold bullion thread. (inspired by my grandfather's mess knots) I would "never" wear those on my summer whites.

Congratulations on a fine sword. Like you, I wanted the best. At the time of my commission (March 2004) the only place I could find one with a gold plated hilt and real rayskin grips (I cannot abide the plastic grips) was Wilkinson. Since they have closed WKC's premium sword would be my choice if I ever had to replace it.

How can I contact the military tailor you mentioned? Do they do bespoke?

As to the Army Navy club, The under 30 Dues are not that bad. A CO rec for membership is huge.

Again if I gave offense you have my apology

Doc

PS do they still sell real gold and silver dolphins at the exchange in Groton?

D.
Doc

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Staredge: My apologies for besmirching the CAP. They're a great outfit.
Doc: Curious about the mess uniforms. Do the colors of the lapels denote rank? Black lapel for enlisted, red for field grade officer and red for flag grade? Or something like that? You guys look very very very sharp.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Branch colors

dhermann1 said:
Doc: Curious about the mess uniforms. Do the colors of the lapels denote rank? Black lapel for enlisted, red for field grade officer and red for flag grade? Or something like that? You guys look very very very sharp.

All enlisteds wear black satin lapels. Interestingly so do all General officers (flag rank is for the navy)

For officers, the lapel color denotes branch.
Infantry: light blue
Cavalry or Armor: yellow gold
Artillary or Engineers: Red
Medical Officers: Maroon
MP: Green

During my grandfather's time Branch was also indicated by the Branch insignia on the sleeve. (note the armor insignia within the trefoil) Rank was indicated by ever more elaborate sleeve braiding. This proved impractical and difficult to interpret. The braiding was fixed as a trefoil and the branch insignia replaced by conventional insignia of rank. :Note the Colonel's eagles on my father's sleeve)

Doc

Doc

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man. I 'm so rusty with my nomenclature. I meant company grade, not field grade, and field grade not flag grade. Whatever.
So your dad is artillery or engineers, and your granddad is cavalry or armor. Makes sense.

Otium

New in Town
DocMustang said:
If I gave offense I apologize. Having spent 2 winters in Groton as a "dirty blue shirt" I completely understand wearing the bridge coat. Those CT winters are brutal....

PS do they still sell real gold and silver dolphins at the exchange in Groton?

D.
Doc

Offense was never taken. Actually my wife and I were both amused that you hit so close to the mark on different things, but not offended. I never checked if the exchange had gold fish or not, but the ones still available at USNA when I visited were about a grand and that isn't worth it to me.

Uniforms were bought through Abbotts Uniforms. The have offices in Pensacola and Atlanta and make the best khakis around. Their whites are great, but I prefer the Brooks Bros SDBs.

Sadly Johnsons in Annapolis went under and no longer sells the straw framed combination covers though you can get them online. That was another wad of cash well spent, very comfy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner