Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Authentic (FlightJacket.com) Opinions?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I am curious what people think about U.S. Authentic (FlightJacket.com). I am especially interested in their customization work, since they claim "Custom jackets and work are one of the main strengths of our company."

Thus far I have only found one post from a satisfied customer about a copy of an Eastman Luftwaffe (alas, no pictures):

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32013-My-New-Luftwaffe-jacket&highlight=luftwaffe

Certainly, their quick production is attractive compared to the months Eastman and Aero take. But I wonder whether the quality is the same or even nearly the same.

The reviews on the site (which doesn't work using an iPad) are all glowing. If they are to be believed, they sound good.
Prices competitive too. Would love to hear more on these. Thanks for pointing this out.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
I purchased a "custom" jacket from Flightjacket.com "$610" and was not impressed.I found the owner difficult and borderline rude to deal with.In the end the jacket did'nt fit right and got the impression I was bothering him when I called.To be fair I've read some positive reveiws on this forum but unfortunately mine was not not case.One more thing...their turn around time is super fast,about two weeks after your order.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Some of us have had very good experiences with US Authentic. I'm not going to argue that their stuff is top quality, but it is good for the price, and has a lot more character than the assembly line jackets of some other makers. Try doing a search on "Shaul" (rather than "Authentic"!) in the Outerwear forum and you'll find LOTS of opinions.

yar

New in Town
I bought a horsehide A2 from US Authentic 2 weeks ago, the shipping from USA to Germany took only 4 days (including saturday and sunday), this is fantastic. The leather and the jacket are great, especially for this price. I can agree that Shaul is not the easiest person to communicate with, but i can understand that since he has a lot of work, i have to say that he answers immediately compared to aero (where i had to wait a much longer time to get an answer). If you keep asking questions again and again you will get what you need. The size of the jacket Shaul suggested was too big though, he said i need a 40R size, but in fact (to get a tight fit) i need 36R. I ordered the 38R and it fits perfect with a little bit room.

And yeah, im 181-183cm tall and the sleeve length is perfect.

Last edited:

kojax

Practically Family
they have a nice product for the money but there horsehide is to haevy for me i got one years ago. i just boughjt a a2 real mccoy i saw it in new york city in a store nice jacket dark seal brown horsehide the leather is not that heavy nice to wear ,

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunate that he was rude on the phone.
I would counter that this is how tradespeople in the NY/NJ area typically use the phone. They're liable to be brusque in the extreme. They don't want to waste your time or their own, and altho they don't mean to come off rude, they don't care if they do. One reason I prefer to do business by email within the region.

Last edited:
I would counter that this is how tradespeople in the NY/NJ area typically use the phone. They're liable to be brusque in the extreme. They don't want to waste your time or their own, and altho they don't mean to come off rude, they don't care if they do. One reason I prefer to do business by email within the region.

Probably a good theory. Good point.

M

member 16283

I got an HH A2 from them recently. I have some measurements and a review up in my thread. I don't have many threads :D

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
i own 2

I have 2 of jackets from them. Both are A-2's, one in HH and the other in goat. I really love the feel and smell of the goat. The sleeves are a little tight and narrow on the forearms though. It is a size 46T. The HH is russet in color and is a 48R. The fit is better and the sleeves are more fuller. I am between sizes of 48T and 50R depending on the maker. I had a 46R in the goat but returned it with no problems. Both jackets I have had for over 3 years, but they get little use since I have several others to pick from. The goat is for sale by the way.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I have been considering getting one of their fabric flight jackets. They are the Alpha brand. Is this a good brand for an MA-1, B-15 or CPU/45? or might there be other recommendations? I'm hoping for one that doesn't skimp on quality or the amount of 'batting' used in lining.

I like all three versions but will settle for one model only. Favourites?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you're going to get an Alpha jacket, you will find lower prices elsewhere than at US Authentic. I get my Alpha stuff from these guys:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/alpha-outerwear.htm

Alpha's jackets are good for mass-produced import items, and are prefectly serviceable, if not super-accurate reproductions of specific jacket versions a la Buzz Rickson's. I wore an Alpha B-15 through several winters and loved it, until the zipper failed. I just got an MA-1, and am happy with the quality for what I paid... but it's got the same clunky zipper, so I'm a little concerned that it may turn out to be something of an Achilles heel in their current products.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Thanks Doc, while the Buzz Ricks appeal for their authentic/heavier "nylon twill" outer shell, better quality woolens and repro zippers I can't go the $555.00 tag right now.

Which of your 2 Alphas had the bulkier 'batting' in them do you recall?

PS. If you can comment how would you characterize the Alpha Mcguire jacket compared to the regular Alpha version (I have never seen or handled either), it looks like the Mcguire's outer shell is not as shiny which I think might be nice.

PSS. Do you know if the MA-1, B-15 or the C/45 has a bi-swing back?

If you're going to get an Alpha jacket, you will find lower prices elsewhere than at US Authentic. I get my Alpha stuff from these guys:

Alpha's jackets are good for mass-produced import items, and are prefectly serviceable, if not super-accurate reproductions of specific jacket versions a la Buzz Rickson's. I wore an Alpha B-15 through several winters and loved it, until the zipper failed. I just got an MA-1, and am happy with the quality for what I paid... but it's got the same clunky zipper, so I'm a little concerned that it may turn out to be something of an Achilles heel in their current products.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I never handled a Mcguire or the C/45, so I can't speak to your questions on those. The new MA-1 - which I actually haven't worn outside yet - seems to be a little heavier-insulated/warmer than the B-15 was, and it's cut a little longer. (Which is good: the B-15 was always a bit short-waisted for my taste.) None of these jackets have bi-swing or action backs, but their big-rounded-shoulders-with-darts construction is very comfortable: there isn't any of the arm-movement limitation of the cut-like-a-shirt A-2 jacket.

But I'm no real expert: I only have experience with recent Alphas and the (actually-not-too-awful-for-half-the-price) knockoffs by UltraForce/Rothco, of which I've bought my son a couple. Anyway, we have folks here who've owned dozens of these nylon jackets, from all makers and periods, and hopefully they will chime in...

In the meantime, try doing a search for Alpha and/or MA-1 in the Outerwear forum: there's a huge amount of info/opinion in many older threads here.

Philalethes

A-List Customer

Am I right that the Alpha bomber jackets (the B-3 and B-7) aren't lined with real shearling? On the website you posted they mention that the jackets are lined with sherpa, which I thought was fleece. On the U.S. Wings site, they describe the lining as being "plush [and] warm".

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Well I went ahead and ordered a navy blue Alpha MA-1. Didn't realize how many different colours can be had: ie: navy blue, vintage blue, washed, od green, sage green, vintage and a green described as an "A&T green" whatever that is. Thinking I might get a second one in sage green as the jackets are being offered at approx. 1/3 the price on ebay and shipping is only an extra $5.00 for the second jacket. I'm afraid that I have caught the virus.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My new one is gunmetal gray - since I already have plenty of blue and black jackets. Now that temps here have dropped into the twenties, I've worn it and it's very warm.

The only thing I don't like about it is its junky, clunky, white-metal zipper, which is very difficult to get started... and feels like it will ultimately fail just like the identical one on the Alpha B-15 I had. I am hoping that lubrication and use will improve it... but I don't understand why they put such a P.O.S. zip on an otherwise nicely made garment. I mean, I have $5 fleece vests from Wal-Mart with better quality zippers!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
My new one is gunmetal gray - since I already have plenty of blue and black jackets. Now that temps here have dropped into the twenties, I've worn it and it's very warm.

The only thing I don't like about it is its junky, clunky, white-metal zipper, which is very difficult to get started... and feels like it will ultimately fail just like the identical one on the Alpha B-15 I had. I am hoping that lubrication and use will improve it... but I don't understand why they put such a P.O.S. zip on an otherwise nicely made garment. I mean, I have $5 fleece vests from Wal-Mart with better quality zippers!

Yes I noted that you found the zippers to be less than stellar. I wonder how difficult or expensive it would be to replace the zip with a better quality version?
I have a sewing machine which I have decided to take up as a hobby now that I've retired but as yet have not tackled it.

PS. It so happens that the Alpha MA-1 I purchased from an Ebay Military Surplus store is advertised as having been "made in the US instead of Burma", perhaps a zip difference?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR