Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK Women

cookie

I'll Lock Up
UK women 'least likely to care what men think'
By Lesley Thomas
Last Updated: 9:27am BST 01/08/2007

Have your say Read comments

Russian women are more worried about a man's seal of approval

Frank Sinatra advised in the song Wives and Lovers: "Don't send him off, with your hair still in curlers. You may not see him again."

However, it seems that British women couldn't care less after a survey showed they are the least likely to put effort into their appearance for the sake of men.

They have the lowest levels of concern in the world for what husbands, boyfriends and other male observers might think, with only 51 per cent caring whether men liked their appearance, the study said.

Japanese women were second bottom with 53 per cent followed by Americans at 56 per cent.

advertisement
Indian, Spanish and Korean women were far more worried about having a man's seal of approval, but it was Russia which topped the poll of 10,000 women, with 77 per cent saying that they cared what their men thought.

Janet Saunders, of Clinique, the cosmetics company which commissioned the study, said: "British women like to feel confident and beautiful for their own pleasure and take pride in their outward appearance." Susan Quilliam, a relationship psychologist said: "It's a delicate balance. It's a positive thing in an equal relationship to reference the other person's tastes and preferences sometimes."

The survey also showed, that Britons are among the keenest on cosmetic surgery. Thirty five per cent of British women said they have gone, or are willing to go, under the knife for beauty.

Only Korean women were more likely to consider surgical enhancement, while just three per cent of Indian women condone it.

The survey also asked which of the 12 countries polled had the most beautiful women. Although most found their country's own women the best looking, Britons rated Italian and Indian women more beautiful than themselves.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It's kinda true for me, but I don't actually care what *anyone* thinks of how I look, I dress only for me really! lol

Not strictly true I suppose, I'd hate for people to look at me in disgust, but I'm not afraid of being seen as eccentric or whatever.

I'd place many other races and nationalities above how the slobby, pasty and overweight average woman of this country looks though.

However, I have had cosmetic surgery.

Martina

One of the Regulars
I think other women judge women much more critically than men do, at least here in the US.

I, personally, try to dress comfortably and in a way that suits me and is pleasing to the opposite sex.

Obviously, there are times when dressing just to please your man has its...
..... 'advantages'! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters