Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate Leather Conditioner Comparison (on Reddit)

Skidmore’s Update

It’s been a few weeks (I got impatient and coated the sleeve again- so the clock started over), and I’m still happy with Skidmore’s on the arm of the deerskin jacket! I also used it with mixed results on my green Brooks. The underside piece of the sleeves and sleeve gussets are still much softer than they had been, but the rest of the jacket feels mostly the same as it did a couple of weeks ago before the treatment.

Today, I decided to do a re-boot on the deerskin jacket!

I wiped down the whole thing with Reno-mat to get rid of the waxy finish left by Tenderly (again- mixed results: i did get lots of wax on the rag, but it didn’t all come off).
Then I treated the whole jacket with lots of Skidmore’s and put it in my hot car out of the sun to soak in. In 2 hours the conditioner had evaporated, and the jacket was dry again, and a bit crunchy :( I still believe that letting it soak in over a couple of weeks works remarkably better. So, I slathered the jacket up again and put it back in the closet... more to come in October, but I think it will be better.

willyto

One Too Many
Skidmore’s Update

It’s been a few weeks (I got impatient and coated the sleeve again- so the clock started over), and I’m still happy with Skidmore’s on the arm of the deerskin jacket! I also used it with mixed results on my green Brooks. The underside piece of the sleeves and sleeve gussets are still much softer than they had been, but the rest of the jacket feels mostly the same as it did a couple of weeks ago before the treatment.

Today, I decided to do a re-boot on the deerskin jacket!

I wiped down the whole thing with Reno-mat to get rid of the waxy finish left by Tenderly (again- mixed results: i did get lots of wax on the rag, but it didn’t all come off).
Then I treated the whole jacket with lots of Skidmore’s and put it in my hot car out of the sun to soak in. In 2 hours the conditioner had evaporated, and the jacket was dry again, and a bit crunchy :( I still believe that letting it soak in over a couple of weeks works remarkably better. So, I slathered the jacket up again and put it back in the closet... more to come in October, but I think it will be better.
I don’t think the hot car thing was a good idea. It’s like putting your jacket in an oven.

Even when new you’re basically drying it hardcore mode.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i rather use thing like applying hand lotion or lip balm on my own dry skin... I mean if I have a dry elbow I don't lather the product allover my body but just use very little on places where it needs some conditioning and just go on with it normally, when it still feel dry add a little there again using fingertips the next time.

I don’t think the hot car thing was a good idea. It’s like putting your jacket in an oven.

Even when new you’re basically drying it hardcore mode.
There are folks who recommend using heat with Skidmore’s to encourage deeper absorption of the product. I haven’t found this to work as well as just leaving it in a warm closet for a couple of weeks.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Mhhh. Then what vanson uses for the topcoat of a new jacket? Because normally this original topcoat stays long, or not?
Probably acrylic coating. It stays very long, but is applied by spray-coating machines to full hides, in an industrial manner. If you want to try acrylic coating for leather, you can try Fiebings Resolene. It comes in different gloss grades, so you will have to match the gloss, otherwise it will look worse than it is now. In any case, if you use Resolene, use a very thin coating using a cotton swab. Thick coating does not work. Resolene is more permanent than wax.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Probably acrylic coating. It stays very long, but is applied by spray-coating machines to full hides, in an industrial manner. If you want to try acrylic coating for leather, you can try Fiebings Resolene. It comes in different gloss grades, so you will have to match the gloss, otherwise it will look worse than it is now. In any case, if you use Resolene, use a very thin coating using a cotton swab. Thick coating does not work. Resolene is more permanent than wax.
Mhhhh. I am actually thinking about doing nothing and last it as it is....
Picture one without honey leather oil
Picture two with...
What do you say?

Attachments

• 20230213_114239.jpg
    20230213_114239.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230213_114737.jpg
    20230213_114737.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Any update on Pecards v Skidmore v Doc Jackson as best overall conditioner?

Or would you put these three in different categories of use?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I vote for Skidmore. Remember Pecards is more of a water proofer. Remember most conditioner have TALLOW as the main ingredient. Tallow has been used by crafters for centuries.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
@photo2u a timely reply. I just read the ingredient list on Mustang Paste: 95% horse fat 5% beeswax

Fat has been used as leather conditioner for ages because it works! Some conditioner money makers add other products to justify the price. However, still mainly fat. I have created my own formula that works for me. There are other products that do have a function. The French do make excellent leather care products.

@handymike on your recommendation a while back, I’ve been using Blackrock. It really does soften jackets after a few applications. Apply, wear the jacket for a while, it gets dirty on the bike, clean, apply again…. I’m happy.

Blackrock has impressed me. One of my Vanson is much softer and pliable. And it really helped my Aero.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@handymike on your recommendation a while back, I’ve been using Blackrock. It really does soften jackets after a few applications. Apply, wear the jacket for a while, it gets dirty on the bike, clean, apply again…. I’m happy.

Blackrock has impressed me. One of my Vanson is much softer and pliable. And it really helped my Aero.
@JMax @handymike , does Blackrock darken lighter leather? Conditioners like Pecards and Obenaufs do (at least temporarily), curious how Blackrock does in that department. Thx.

Al 916

One Too Many
Not available in the UK as far as I can tell.
I am gently using Sapphir as a final as recommended by Marc, is it similar in effect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider