Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

p51

One Too Many
"Make Way for Tomorrow", Leo McCarey's take on the world before Social Security. He always believed it to be his finest picture .
Ye Gods, I just read the wikipedia page on the film and it's plot, even that was crushingly depressing!
And here I thought, "Penny arcade" had a pretty depressing ending...

Nobert

Practically Family
Big Night and The Imposters. I don't know why, but I just really like Stanley Tucci. Even his cameo at the end of Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle seemed to prop up that blighted tomato stalk of a movie a bit.

DNO

One Too Many
Some films that certainly deserve a wider viewing public just slip under the radar. Here’s a few that really should be better known…there’s a lot more.

Breaker Morant
(1980) An excellent, well acted, well directed film.

The Beast of War (1988) Obsession, redemption, revenge…a terrific film…and not a Rambo in sight.

The Duellists (1977) Ridley Scott’s directorial debut. Beautifully photographed. Harvey Keitel is perfect as the obsessed French officer.

Levallois

Practically Family
"The Great Silence" - A very unusual spaghetti western with several twists - the hero is mute - he uses a Mauser broomhandle as his sidearm (way before Eastwood used it in a film) - klaus kinski is the bad guy - and it takes place in the snow instead of the desert among others - Sergio Corbucci directed

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Some films that certainly deserve a wider viewing public just slip under the radar. Here’s a few that really should be better known…there’s a lot more.

Breaker Morant

The Beast of War (1988) Obsession, redemption, revenge…a terrific film…and not a Rambo in sight.

The Duellists (1977) Ridley Scott’s directorial debut. Beautifully photographed. Harvey Keitel is perfect as the obsessed French officer.
Totally agree on Breaker Morant, one of my all time favorites. I haven't seen the other two you mention (yet).

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
"The Great Silence" - A very unusual spaghetti western with several twists - the hero is mute - he uses a Mauser broomhandle as his sidearm (way before Eastwood used it in a film) - klaus kinski is the bad guy - and it takes place in the snow instead of the desert among others - Sergio Corbucci directed
I'm intrigued.

p51

One Too Many
I must add the 2001 HBO film 'Conspiracy', based on the one existing copy of the record of the 1942 Wannsee Conference. While maybe not the ultimate in film making, it's amazingly compelling for the acting, you get a true sense of immediacy, something you rarely see in historical movies. You see the people who orchestrasted the greatest crime in modern times clearly weren't comic book villians, but that they clearly believed in what they were doing. Which makes the aftermath far more frightening...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(2001_film)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Aside from any film from Werner Herzog, "Local Hero", Sam Peckinpah's "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid", "Once Upon a Time in Anatolia", "Pan's Labyrinth", "Searching for Sugar Man", "The City of Lost Children", "Blood Simple", "Reservoir Dogs", "The Lives of Others", and I suppose I should stop before I clog this up.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab

Breaker Morant

Man excellent selection there!

Feraud

Bartender

Breaker Morant

I haven't seen Beast of War but Breaker Morant and The Duellists are very unappreciated masterpieces!

In the crime drama there are- Get Carter with Michael Caine (watched it again last night on TCM), Point Blank with Lee Marvin, and The Long Good Friday with Bob Hoskins.
You could do a lot worst than sitting through these three greats!

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
I've see a lot of the films mentioned but a long time ago. Time to search them out.

Others that come to mind are the westerns -

"Will Penny" with Charleton Heston
"Monty Walsh" with Lee Marvin

And a 70s thriller set in Japan -

"The Yakuza" with Robert Mitchum

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've see a lot of the films mentioned but a long time ago. Time to search them out.

Others that come to mind are the westerns -

"Will Penny" with Charleton Heston
"Monty Walsh" with Lee Marvin
Two of the very best westerns ever made, on my A+ list.

It might be strong to say Masterpiece, but a very well done film that flies under or completely off the radar:

-"Separate Tables" An elegantly done "little" movie that conflates characters driven by social snobbery, crushing insecurity, unbridled sexual passion, subtle and beautiful compassion and quietly painful heartbreak all brilliantly exposed just below the thin veneer of British stoicisms. I take more out of it every time I watch it. And it happens to have David Niven, Rita Hayworth, Burt Lancaster and the under-appreciated Wendy Hiller in it.

p51

One Too Many
"The Beast of War" is actually best known simply as, "The Beast."
I've seen the movie countless times and have it in DVD, I had no idea of that title as earlier referenced.
GREAT movie, best representation of main guns on tanks firing ever put to screen. Many people to this day think they're firing live rounds in the movie!

DNO

One Too Many
"The Beast of War" is actually best known simply as, "The Beast."
I've seen the movie countless times and have it in DVD, I had no idea of that title as earlier referenced.
GREAT movie, best representation of main guns on tanks firing ever put to screen. Many people to this day think they're firing live rounds in the movie!

I know it best as 'The Beast' as well. I encountered the longer title when looking up the date on IMDB. I suspect IMDB uses the longer title to avoid confusion with similarly titled works.

You're certainly right about 'Conspiracy' as well...a truly chilling film.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
If I may, a few more:

The Battle of Algiers (1966): Compelling look at another dirty war (I'd lean toward 'Intimate Enemies' (2007) as well, but, though a well crafted film I'm not sure it would reach the masterpiece level)

Comedies never seem to be considered as masterpieces but I'd certainly be inclined to include:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
and possibly Shot in the Dark (1964) as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk