Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Uncontested - The Champ"

Annixter

Practically Family
Great find Buler; I think the single button looks pretty good at the connecting point rather than having another one above it too.

m0nk

One Too Many
So I've got a question for those Champ guys out there. I just picked this one up for $30 on etsy (looked like a decent deal, perhaps only needs some good brushing and maybe a reblock), should arrive next week. I'm not sure when it's from, and I'm not sure what the Kasmir finish is, but it sounds like a specific finish on their fur felt models. If anyone could fill me in with more info that would be great. I can/will also post more pics next week when it arrives.

champ1.jpg

champ2.jpg

champ3.jpg

champ4.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
A few extra notes on this one: the seller said that the open crown height was about 5 1/2", brim about 2 1/2", and ribbon about 1 3/4".

Chicago Jimmy

Familiar Face
Those are some nice hats and old ads.
I picked this up today at an antique shop while on lunch. This is my first Champ, it's a Envoy in cordovan (dark brown) the liner has two small stain spots. No marks on the felt with a 2" brim 1 3/4" ribbon and it has a red feather which I removed for the quick clean-up. Can anyone give me an approx. year? I'm guessing mid 1950's?
IMG_2519.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2521.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2522.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2523.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2524.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2525.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've picked up a nice Champ Kasmir Finish on the 'Bay. It's a silverbelly Open Road style, but with -- get this -- a 2" brim. The sweatband and liner are lovely. The crown is pretty high and straight, and the felt is allowing me to massage out the cattleman crease (I have several hats with that already) and work in a loose, "casual" front pinch. The brim is stiff, though, and despite being marked as my size, the hat is more oval than my head; I've got to break it in.

But it's in good shape, and a short-brimmed, light-colored, thin-ribboned fedora is something of a rarity.

Here's what it looked like before (seller's pic, much darker than the actual color):
Champ_03.jpg

And now:
100_1189.jpg

100_1190.jpg

The liner:
100_1191.jpg

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Paul, really nice, felt and color looks very good! A good hat!
Thank you, Manfred. The seller said the hat had been purchased in the late 1950s and worn once, for a school play, and then had been stored since. The box looked pristine too. It even had that little shark-toothed paper ring around the crown of the hat, as well as a paper cover inside.

I wet the base of the crown last night and wore the hat around my place -- strange, to wear a hat while you're eating dinner -- and it seemed to loosen up and conform to my head a bit more. I need to work on that, and maybe give it a little more swoop to the brim, though of course there isn't much brim to swoop!

howardeye

Practically Family
Nice Champs everyone and thanks for the kind words. Under the old Hebrew law the coney was considered unclean because it chewed the cud.

howardeye

Practically Family
Howard, that Champ is flat drool-inducing. What a lid!

Aaron

Thank you for your kind words. I drool over every hat you post. I bought that hat from a lounge member and I am blessed to have come across it. It is my favorite wide brim fedora that I actually wear and a great color being a purple tinted gray. Here is another Champ I just bought my 10 year old grandson Caleb. He said he outgrew the other as his hair grew out. The straw will do him good living in south Florida. He now wears a 7 1/4!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24