Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Uncontested - The Champ"

MikePotts

Practically Family
The Champ I bought last week-end arrived today, here are pictures:
P1010006-1.jpg

5 1/2" Crown, c.2 3/4" brim
P1010005-1.jpg

I would have to describe the condition as 'new'
P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010007.jpg

the only thing I see wrong are a few brown spots on the lining
P1010011.jpg

Beautiful soft felt, I guess kind of a slightly darker 'silverbelly' colour
I'm not used to wearing a hat of this ......volume? and it feels weird, but looks OK in these pics I guess

P1010012.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Size is 7 3/8 but feels a little bigger than my other of that size.

MP

Duper

Practically Family
I'm not used to wearing a hat of this ......volume? and it feels weird, but looks OK in these pics I guess

P1010012.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Size is 7 3/8 but feels a little bigger than my other of that size.

MP[/QUOTE]

It looks very nice. You have a definate winner there.

Annixter

Practically Family
I picked up another Champ to use in the winter rain and snow. It was a porkpie, but my face shape goes better with dented, almost pinched fronts on fedoras. I did some steam work with the iron and got the front to dent and pinch as much as I could without deforming the porkpie bash, and I think it looks quite unique now. The brim also has interesting lines. The front and left side generously curl down while the back and right side have pronounced upward curves. It makes for a nice look when tilted on my noggin. I've seen some 1940s/50s Mallory advertisements with brims that have a downward tilt on the front and around one side, so I don't know if someone previously worked the brim into that position or if its original to the hat.

I'm continually, pleasantly surprised by the quality and design of 1950s Champs. The hat is in great condition other than some bleached spots on the brim. After brushing the hat clean, I washed the front brim with shampoo to see if the stains were just mud, but they didn't lift. I guess it's probably a good thing they didn't because I'd feel bad wearing the hat in the elements every day like I plan to, so it would join the other fedoras in the closet and I'd still be looking for a beater hat!

100_2336.jpg

100_2340.jpg

100_2343.jpg

100_2346.jpg

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks Randall. I've been wearing it around town since I got it, and it does a good job of battling the wind and rain. I look forward to seeing how it does in the snow. The added benefit is that I've gotten some nice comments about it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Some details of the Champ I was lucky enough to get from LMH2.

The coolest crown patch (tip sticker?) I own:

I don't go for hat pins, but this one STAYS! :) (raindrop smudge on ribbon)

Thematic sweatband stamp:

Annixter

Practically Family
The newest find makes me very happy indeed! I stumbled across this on the internet and quickly knew that the seller did not know what he had when listing this beauty for $20! It was covered with dust and had some creases and wavy parts on the crown, but with a good brushing, complete sponge cleaning, more brushing, poor-man "blocking" using wooden spoons and a piece of hardwood, and a final shaping with clothing-iron steam, it turned out quite nice. There are a few shallow moth nibbles on the brim's underside, one area where the brim trimming ribbon has frayed, and the liner logo ink has run. Other than those very minor and blemishes, it looks rather unworn.

The style/color tag under the sweatband reads "Diamond Jim" - "Metal Blue." I can't find any advertisement references to a Diamond Jim model. I shaped it into a teardrop because I thought it the best style for my face and it seemed to naturally fold that way easily enough. Judging by the Romanesque "Champ" font on the liner and sweatband logos (compared to period advertisements courtesy prior poster), the liner logo, and the reeded sweatband/stitching, I believe this is a 1947-1949 model. Interestingly enough, the sweatband logo's "Feel the Felt" appears underneath the coat of arms whereas all the other 1940's examples I have found with the same font show the motto underneath the "Champ"--including all those in this thread. Therefore, I wonder if this is a transition year hat--either 1947 or 1949 judging by the pre-'47 comic-strip font and the post-'49 bold-block font? The hat store's logo is pretty neat too.

9ab7b050.jpg

8e92d1f9.jpg

843d8d9d.jpg

e2897c7a.jpg

dca7cbee.jpg

2b28de20.jpg

22bdeb65.jpg

"The Store of Certain Satisfaction, Kaufman's Inc."
c62dcddf.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks randooch and hatophile. After years I'm finally starting to refine my collection to where it functions practically, and this is my first light blue-gray hat that I've been itching to get for some time now.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Interesting ribbon work on this Champ. There is supposed to be a button above the other one, but its missing. Someday I may run across a match in an antique shop. Great color blue. Has my favorite brim flange profile.

B

champ_slant_1.jpg

champ_slant_2.jpg

champ_slant_3.jpg

champ_slant_4.jpg

champ_slant_5.jpg

champ_slant_6.jpg

champ_slant_7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member