Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Uncontested - The Champ"

Another nice one, Josh. Looking at that hat, I think a diamond or C-crown would give you more spread on the crown. I like center dents myself, but a lot of my hats don't look as good with them.

azshawn

Familiar Face
I present a Champ stingy that I inherited from my Grandpa. It's a cool little hat, too bad the moths got to it.

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0086-1.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I present a Champ stingy that I inherited from my Grandpa. It's a cool little hat, too bad the moths got to it.
You should be able to "repair" those moth divots so that they are not very noticable. There was recently a couple of good posts on how to do it and I tried it with decent success on one of my open roads.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Another nice one, Josh. Looking at that hat, I think a diamond or C-crown would give you more spread on the crown. I like center dents myself, but a lot of my hats don't look as good with them.

Thanks hatophile! I completely agree with you about the c-crown. It would most definately fit the time period from which the hat came from. The only reason I went with a slim center dent is because even though the crown looks big in the pictures, its only 5 inches tall (open). So I figured that the center dent would get the maximum height possible. Chances are though, I might re-steam it to a c-crown anyways. We'll see. :)

Thanks hatophile! I completely agree with you about the c-crown. It would most definately fit the time period from which the hat came from. The only reason I went with a slim center dent is because even though the crown looks big in the pictures, its only 5 inches tall (open). So I figured that the center dent would get the maximum height possible. Chances are though, I might re-steam it to a c-crown anyways. We'll see. :)

I know what you're saying about crown height. What I do, is move the pinch up high, so it gives the impression of a higher crown, I also don't put a very deep bash in the C part. That way it maximizes the crown heighth. You are acquiring some very nice specimens.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up

OK, don't faint -- but, I'm thinking no teardrop on that one. Wow, did I just say that? :eeek:

I think you've got the crease just right on that one, Joshbru -- and for the right reasons. Lower crowns really don't take teardrops very well. The crease you have chosen keeps the crown height and looks very organic -- the center dent with that ribbon treatment looks just right. I elected to do the very same thing with a Portis with similar characteristics in terms of crown height and ribbon.

It's all a matter of personal taste, but I think you done good. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
OK, don't faint -- but, I'm thinking no teardrop on that one. Wow, did I just say that? :eeek:

I think you've got the crease just right on that one, Joshbru -- and for the right reasons. Lower crowns really don't take teardrops very well. The crease you have chosen keeps the crown height and looks very organic -- the center dent with that ribbon treatment looks just right. I elected to do the very same thing with a Portis with similar characteristics in terms of crown height and ribbon.

It's all a matter of personal taste, but I think you done good. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Thank you very much for your honest opinion Jimmy! I did however almost faint when you said, "no teardrop." ;) That Portis looks like it has almost the same proportions as my Champ. When I first bought the hat on ebay, it had a teardrop bash. When I actually received it though, I soon realized that the crown was too low in comparison to the brim width. I think that the center dent really maintains the height well and keeps the felt off the top of my head. Every time I put it on, I feel that it looks right, even though based on the time period it was made, it was probably meant for a c-crown of sorts. I dont understand why the crown is only 5 inches verses, 5 1/2 or 5 3/4. It seems to me that this hat should have been blocked with a taller crown, but oh well. I still love the hat. Thanks again Jimmy.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
LaSalle Hat Company - THE CHAMP

I just got this hat at a local antique clothing store that I often frequent. I had seen it there numerous times and I finally had to buy it. This hat is really interesting. We all know that originally CHAMP was made by the LaSalle Hat Company, but I have never have actually seen a hat with the LaSalle Hat Company name. Until now. This hat isnt labeled CHAMP, its labeled THE CHAMP By the LaSalle Hat Company. Its extremely lightweight and even has a boxer in the logo representing the "Lightweight Champ." The finish is extremely soft and the hat is very well pounced. Whats interesting is that the crown is fairly short and round even for the 50's. I thought that the hat might date from the 40's, but it would be an extremely short crown even for the 40's. Could this hat be from the line that started the brand CHAMP from the LaSalle hat Company? It would seem to look that way, but I dont really know. Ive seen Champ Featherweight hats from the 40's and 50's, and this hat doesnt look like any one of them. Heres some pics:

05062011406.jpg

05062011407.jpg

05062011404.jpg

05062011402.jpg

05062011405.jpg

05062011399.jpg

05062011396.jpg

05062011398.jpg

05062011397.jpg

05062011400.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
I just got this hat at a local antique clothing store that I often frequent. I had seen it there numerous times and I finally had to buy it. This hat is really interesting. We all know that originally CHAMP was made by the LaSalle Hat Company, but I have never have actually seen a hat with the LaSalle Hat Company name. Until now. This hat isnt labeled CHAMP, its labeled THE CHAMP By the LaSalle Hat Company. Its extremely lightweight and even has a boxer in the logo representing the "Lightweight Champ." The finish is extremely soft and the hat is very well pounced. Whats interesting is that the crown is fairly short and round even for the 50's. I thought that the hat might date from the 40's, but it would be an extremely short crown even for the 40's. Could this hat be from the line that started the brand CHAMP from the LaSalle hat Company? It would seem to look that way, but I dont really know. Ive seen Champ Featherweight hats from the 40's and 50's, and this hat doesnt look like any one of them. Heres some pics:

Wow, that's a great one.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
That is a great looking hat Josh, I like the color too! I have several Champ hats and the only thing I've noticed is, they run smaller in size, with age. I know this is typical but owning to their lighter felt is even more evident with Champ. It also amazes me how they can baste in the plastic or onion skin label at the top w/o puncturing the felt.
I think pugs were chosen by some to indicate a warm weather felt as well. My Dobbs Hankachif and a Portis tissue weight have pugs rather than a sandard bowed ribbon.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that's a great one.

Found an ad for it - from Life magazine, 18th March 1940.
5692294837_68e63890be_b.jpg

That is a champ an in really good shape. I would not pass it by for sure.

That is a great looking hat Josh, I like the color too! I have several Champ hats and the only thing I've noticed is, they run smaller in size, with age. I know this is typical but owning to their lighter felt is even more evident with Champ. It also amazes me how they can baste in the plastic or onion skin label at the top w/o puncturing the felt.
I think pugs were chosen by some to indicate a warm weather felt as well. My Dobbs Hankachif and a Portis tissue weight have pugs rather than a sandard bowed ribbon.

Nice one. I would have bought it for this stamp alone.
05062011396.jpg

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I cant believe that I passed it up a couple of time. Like I said, it may not seem like it from the pictures, but the crown is very low. Even though I though the sweatband and label pointed to the fact that the hat was an old Champ, the crown height made me second guess myself. See, I guess this hat is proof that not all golden era hats had tall crowns. Thanks Billy for the Ad, it prompted me to find all the Champ ads that I could this morning. I found about 30 and some havent been posted here. I will post them when I have a chance. ejbhats, It always amazed me how they could baste in the plastic or onion skin label at the top w/o puncturing the felt, also. These hats were meant for year round use, but since the felt is so light and this hat has a Pug, I would imagine that this Featherweight was meant to be worn in Summer or Spring.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
So Josh where is the picture of Cristen modeling the hat "We" all are waiting. :)

HAHA. Well, most of my collection I don't wear out of the house because I don't want to mess up the sweatbands. But I told her that we have to take another picture with another hat of mine. She's up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot