Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uneven grain/crease on a Horsehide?

Ball sack leather is the best leather and has lasted for 70 years on this jacket. Vive’ the sack!
AC4ECE6C-A424-4F00-BA55-3811E4A1A632.jpeg

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
"Ballsack leather" lol...some people.. just wow....

Embrace the irregularities in leather!

Yeah, inspecting this jacket again, the inch or so in the right side sleeve near the shoulder seam is also ball sack leather like, just the left side is more prominent. I suppose whoever made this jacket knows to use the softer hides for the sleeves.

I dont think it will be much of a structural integrity issue since I am right handed anyways. Thanks for everyone's comments ITT. I would post fit pics but Europe has a heatwave right now. It was literally 100 degrees yesterday.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Really? He 'seems' knowledgeable and really has a happy vibe about him
He absolutely is not. He just says everything is great. He offers no detailed information about any of his jackets whatsoever and he knows nothing about patterns or the actual differences in quality and such between different Japanese leather jacket makers. He just says everything is amazing without giving any explanation or evidence whatsoever to substantiate it.

Almost everyone on Youtube acts like they know stuff, but basically none of them do. There are only a couple exceptions.

His picks for "best leather boots" are a joke.

Last edited:
He absolutely is not. He just says everything is great. He offers no detailed information about any of his jackets whatsoever and he knows nothing about patterns or the actual differences in quality and such between different Japanese leather jacket makers. He just says everything is amazing without giving any explanation or evidence whatsoever to substantiate it.

Almost everyone on Youtube acts like they know stuff, but basically none of them do. There are only a couple exceptions.

His picks for "best leather boots" are a joke.

Lol Fjorde is a clown and I found him so annoying that I had to repeatedly block his account as he kept on constantly popping up everywhere, though... I can't even tell what exactly was it that annoyed me about him so much as I mostly ignored his stupid "rugged" content anyway but I'm curious now - What are his picks for the best leather boots?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Lol Fjorde is a clown and I found him so annoying that I had to repeatedly block his account as he kept on constantly popping up everywhere, though... I can't even tell what exactly was it that annoyed me about him so much as I mostly ignored his stupid "rugged" content anyway but I'm curious now - What are his picks for the best leather boots?

Just had a look, good videos to play drinking games to, take a shot everytime he says something is incredible...
You should be done in one or two videos!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Red Wing, Dayton, Wesco. None of them are bad, but none would be considered the best in the category he is discussing.

Not all of us on here agree on everything, but most of us long time members tend to at least give actu evidence and some sort of reasoning behind our opinions. He does not do this and I find that detrimental and in fact harmful to people new to leather jackets and denim and such.

Allow me to disagree. I've seen long time members here bashing specific brands while, when asked, they admit they have never owned, handled, let alone wore this brand.

Depends what you bash but when it comes to clothes in general, if shit isn't falling apart at the seams, all disagreements are purely subjective anyway. I don't need to try on a Fine Creek Leon to complain that a 27" + long motorcycle jacket is - In my opinion, of course! - stupidly too long. Trying one on won't change my mind about it as I have tried on motorcycle jackets of that length and didn't like them.
You see enough leather jackets, you've seen them all. It's no rocket science.

Longer I'm in this, more I realize I can to an equal extent ignore the subtle differences that make a great leather jacket as much as I can focus on them, and all this to the same effect. Or no effect, more likely. Other than the financial.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I don't need to try on a Fine Creek Leon to complain that a 27" + long motorcycle jacket is - In my opinion, of course! - stupidly too long.
no, obviously you don't need to try it, it is too long - unless you're Stojko Vrankovic or Dino Radja (I hope they're still considered national heroes over there!).
What I had in mind was not length but rather multiple posts regarding the horrendous built quality of brand X of Y based not on owned (and worn) products but photo's on Instagram, discussions on internet fora or items seen in physical shops. And yes, this happens really too often lately.
Again, nothing wrong with it but not what I would consider actual evidence.
In any case, ignore my rant, I guess the tropical heat of the previous days has affected me. Time for a break.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Depends what you bash but when it comes to clothes in general, if shit isn't falling apart at the seams, all disagreements are purely subjective anyway. I don't need to try on a Fine Creek Leon to complain that a 27" + long motorcycle jacket is - In my opinion, of course! - stupidly too long. Trying one on won't change my mind about it as I have tried on motorcycle jackets of that length and didn't like them.
You see enough leather jackets, you've seen them all. It's no rocket science.

Longer I'm in this, more I realize I can to an equal extent ignore the subtle differences that make a great leather jacket as much as I can focus on them, and all this to the same effect. Or no effect, more likely. Other than the financial.
This. I knew Fine Creek mc/hb jackets had terrible patterns before I tried them on based on my experience. I went and tried them on and handled them and the patterns were indeed poor, especially for what they were going for. Their denim style jackets are better though on this front.

You, @Marc mndt and I don't need to try on Fountainhead jackets to know that they're patterns are appalling. We just know based on experience.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
You, @Marc mndt and I don't need to try on Fountainhead jackets to know that they're patterns are appalling. We just know based on experience.
Yeah I think it's fair to conclude that Fountainhead patterns are crap without having tried one on.

Fountainhead vs FW
Potato sack pattern vs refined pattern

9D6F871D-AA14-4208-8366-7093CBF5BFAE.jpeg

But sometimes pics can be deceiving.

When I saw Fjorde wearing these DH jackets I concluded that the patterns must be designed for the Japanese market. Narrow chest, way too slim sleeves. The jackets below look like sausage cases. I cannot imagine Fjorde is able to tip his hat/cap while wearing those straightjackets.

241AE645-079A-4506-BB69-38052357A571.jpeg

ACAC57EF-E499-4BFC-8029-287BAD081B1C.jpeg

Then I tried on a Double Helix myself. No this is not one size up, this is a 42 which is my regular size.

133E3F32-DC7E-4F08-B503-15FE9A6B7DF5.jpeg

Long story short, yes some jackets are bad and one doesn't always necessarily need to try one on to come to that conclusion. But sometimes pics (or guys like Fjorde who wear their jackets at least one size too small) can be deceiving.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I think it's fair to conclude that Fountainhead patterns are crap without having tried one on.

Fountainhead vs FW
Potato sack pattern vs refined pattern

View attachment 439408

But sometimes pics can be deceiving.

When I saw Fjorde wearing these DH jackets I concluded that the patterns must be designed for the Japanese market. Narrow chest, way too slim sleeves. The jackets below look like sausage cases. I cannot imagine Fjorde is able to tip his hat/cap while wearing those straightjackets.

View attachment 439410

View attachment 439411

Then I tried on a Double Helix myself. No this is not one size up, this is a 42 which is my regular size.

View attachment 439409

Long story short, yes some jackets are bad and one doesn't always necessarily need to try one on to come to that conclusion. But sometimes pics (or guys like Fjorde who wear their jackets at least one size too small) can be deceiving.
Fair point. Also, sometimes makers have a variety of pattern qualities. Or, some patterns fit some people better than others. For example, I think Fine Creek's denim style jackets tend to look a little better on people than their other jackets.

I'd also trim down the arms on that DH jacket, but that's me haha.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Alright fit pics! I buttoned down the collar, zipped, and unzipped. Note, its not in 4k HD because these are screenshots of a video of me spinning in my bathroom with a jacket on during the EU heatwave.

I personally like the pattern and how it fits. Still have some room for a hoodie as I want to wear the crap out of this for the money I paid.

Out the box it fit like my Schot 618HH that was broken in and tailored (IMHO Horsehide does stretch, rode in the rain with the jacket on).

I will see how this will fit after it gets broken in and rained on, etc. Let me know if it looks like doodoo :(

P.S. Ballsack leather non-issue apparent

Attachments

• Zipped 2.jpg
    Zipped 2.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Zipped 1.jpg
    Zipped 1.jpg
    906.4 KB · Views: 151
  • ZIpped 3.jpg
    ZIpped 3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Unzipped 3.jpg
    Unzipped 3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Unzipped 2.jpg
    Unzipped 2.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Unzipped 1.jpg
    Unzipped 1.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 146

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Alright fit pics! I buttoned down the collar, zipped, and unzipped. Note, its not in 4k HD because these are screenshots of a video of me spinning in my bathroom with a jacket on during the EU heatwave.

I personally like the pattern and how it fits. Still have some room for a hoodie as I want to wear the crap out of this for the money I paid.

Out the box it fit like my Schot 618HH that was broken in and tailored (IMHO Horsehide does stretch, rode in the rain with the jacket on).

I will see how this will fit after it gets broken in and rained on, etc. Let me know if it looks like doodoo :(

P.S. Ballsack leather non-issue apparent
I wouldnt call it doo doo. The chest looks a little tight when zipped and the bottom opening looks a little loose on you imo, but I think this is the right size in this jacket for you.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
I wouldnt call it doo doo. The chest looks a little tight when zipped and the bottom opening looks a little loose on you imo, but I think this is the right size in this jacket for you.

Hey thanks. I knew that coming in, that the bottom "skirts" like it did on the model from Rivet and Hide. I am cool with it tho, my waist is like a size 30/31 in levi's but I have a 40" chest.

It does hug my chest a bit, but I have some room still, but then again I have a weird caveman body with wider lats and a round back. Here it is zipped all the way up ft. my gym shorts.

Edit: Unless it looks horribad, objectively speaking

Attachments

• DSCF3785__47950.jpg
    DSCF3785__47950.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF3820__33185.jpg
    DSCF3820__33185.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG-8792.jpg
    IMG-8792.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG-8793.jpg
    IMG-8793.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG-8794.jpg
    IMG-8794.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-8796.jpg
    IMG-8796.jpg
    1,022 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Hey thanks. I knew that coming in, that the bottom "skirts" like it did on the model from Rivet and Hide. I am cool with it tho, my waist is like a size 30/31 in levi's but I have a 40" chest.

It does hug my chest a bit, but I have some room still, but then again I have a weird caveman body with wider lats and a round back. Here it is zipped all the way up ft. my gym shorts.

Edit: Unless it looks horribad, objectively speaking
It actually looks better zipped all the way up.

In my opinion, it's not terrible, but it does flare out a lot and I don't think the pattern flatters your physique. Because it doesn't taper enough for you and the flare is too much.

I'm nitpicking of course. I nitpick my own jackets too which is why I've sold so many of them :D

Also for what it's worth, the leather looks fine in all the photos so I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider