Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Unhappy Hipsters" Blog

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
:rofl:

You DEFINITELY have a different breed of hippie out there. They are the polar opposite out here. In fact, they do exactly what your "yuppies" do out there. They litter, defecate in the streets, use every drug known to man and hang out in front of small businesses with their animals and instruments begging for money---driving off patrons. Unfortunately, they aren't leaving and a new generation is spawned to replace the old. I'll send you some if you would like. :p
I need to set up a hippie tour around this area so that people can better understand why I dislike them. Feel free to come out and I will give you the tour.:D

No, no! I don't want your hippies! I only like the ones that play good music and make good brownies. I've never seen one of the hippies in the area I am referring to begging money, I'm pretty sure that would be anti-hippie behavior to them. I have sometimes seen them bumming rides for long distances (that's pretty rare and only happens with a certain set), but never asking for cash. And if they do play for money, it's normally in a park, not in front of a business, and they are really, really good musicians who often have CDs for sale- and often these people are just giving a "free concert" and don't even want money.

What lives where I used to live is mostly 1960s hippies who believed in "the movement" enough to stick it out. Peace, love, music, and environmentalist types. Who have jobs (mainly local companies), keep their modest "greened" houses nice, wear tie-dye, "green" the neighborhood, and occasionally go to a protest for some weird thing on the weekends. The worse thing they ever do is smoke some cannabis and act a little too friendly. :D

No, no! I don't want your hippies! I only like the ones that play good music and make good brownies. I've never seen one of the hippies in the area I am referring to begging money, I'm pretty sure that would be anti-hippie behavior to them. I have sometimes seen them bumming rides for long distances (that's pretty rare and only happens with a certain set), but never asking for cash. And if they do play for money, it's normally in a park, not in front of a business, and they are really, really good musicians who often have CDs for sale- and often these people are just giving a "free concert" and don't even want money.

What lives where I used to live is mostly 1960s hippies who believed in "the movement" enough to stick it out. Peace, love, music, and environmentalist types. Who have jobs (mainly local companies), keep their modest "greened" houses nice, wear tie-dye, "green" the neighborhood, and occasionally go to a protest for some weird thing on the weekends. The worse thing they ever do is smoke some cannabis and act a little too friendly. :D

I forgot to mention that they are indiscriminate about their drug use. They'll smoke, consume or shoot anything. These are the Tune in, turn on and drop out types of the 1960s here too. They never tuned back in.:eusa_doh:
They play music that I just can't stand. Of course, I can't stand Bob Dylan and they love him. :rolleyes:
I am sending a couple hundred right now. We have plenty---too many in fact. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Now, I have to say that after reading the hipster-hate, lol, hipsters aren't *entirely* bad....

Reason #1:
The resurgence of vinyl as a viable musical medium.

Reason #2:
Various fashion revivals, including 20's and 40's. (you are attributing 1920s and 1930s fashion revivals to hipsters? How did you come up with that correlation? Is that the same way Kid Rock brought fedoras back in style?)

Reason #3:
Old Style and/or Pabst Blue Ribbon. (How is this a good thing?)

Reason #4:
Underrated bands getting much deserved attention. (Any bands in particular?)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I like minimalist aesthetics myself, and understand why some may choose to embrace a lifestyle related to it, but those houses/apartments just look very barren and empty. Is hipster even a subculture, in the sense that the rockers/greasers and mods, or skinheads, punks, and goths are? Do they all generally listen to the same kind of music and dress pretty much the same, or is it just an all-encompassing term for any young person that wears very skinny clothing and listens to indie music?

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking through the thread and noticed all the references to minimalism. It reminded me a wonderful story about the wife of the architect Le Corbusier. When he designed their home, she thought it too minimal and knitted a cover for their toilet seat. Apparently, if you visit the house, the knitted seat cover is still there, undermining the whole aesthetic of the house.
You have to smile.

Feraud

Bartender
One has to experience the Brooklyn hipster in their element to appreciate the depth of the diehipster blog author's anger and accuracy of his descriptions.
This -
and all ethnicity disappears only to be replaced by phony homogenized make believe hipster ethnicity. Some sleeve tattooed, bearded ”Zach the Chef” from Wiscomichikota will begin “fusing” foods together for Sunday NY Times articles. Hemp baby-sling Zoey and Ethan will be picketing for stroller friendly beer halls. Kyle and Molly will be demanding more bike lanes that stay empty 95% of the day. Hayden and Holden will be plucking away at their banjo and upright bass on Church Ave.
is spot on accurate! It would be very funny if it weren't an extremely sad reality.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can think of few things sadder than the generation that held its ground all during the difficult days of post-Dodger, post-white-flight Brooklyn being mercilessly shoved out of the picture by an army of transplanted phonies quacking and honking endlessly about "authenticity." What's wrong with that picture?

Feraud

Bartender
Doesn't every generation?
Yes and I expect and accept that sense of discovery from young folks and not grown-ups! That is not to say grown-ups should ever stop learning or discovering. What I don't want is some adult discovering the joys of growing cabbage and now feeling they need to convert the un-washed masses.
My "off the boat" Italian mother and grandmother were growing vegetables and shopping at local butcher shops when these idiots were in hemp diapers. I don't need a "Buy Local / Be Green" mantra shoved in my face.
That whole "the feeling of discovery of grilling vegetables and having drinks with friends" shtick might play on the Food TV Network but comes off as so damned contrived in real life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters