Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniforms in casual wear

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
fishmeok said:
It's a difficult look to carry off well- I usually don't try (except for flight jackets) because I almost invariably end up in full uniform- pinks, shirt, etc. I like things that match, like Grranimals. It's also difficult to find civi items that go well with the standard US Army officer's trousers (pinks,green,and summer-weight wool). The wool elastique is very heavy and looks kind of odd without a wool or similar heavy shirt of some kind (doesn't help that my wife insists the "pinks" look like polyester), and the color shades are hard to coordinate. Anybody have any suggestions?
Cheers
Mark

It can be tricky. Its a good rule not to wear too many vintage pieces at once if youre trying to slip into the regular workday.
Consider the images posted by Feraud, a white shirt & tie go a long way.
DSC05873.jpg

DSC05870.jpg

I usually rotate WWII serge wool field trousers in my wardrobe, as well as the officer (chocolate) dark o.d. trousers. Instead of an ike jkt, you can pair them w/ a sports jkt in brown, green, blue, whatever.

The pants generally pretty neutral in effect. Its usually the jkts that can scream militaria.

fishmeok

Vendor
I agree- the WWII officer's and enlisted trousers are my favorite cut, just seem to have trouble with neutral colors for some reason. Probably because I don't wear dressy clothes at work, I'm stuck in a modern two piece mechanics uniform.

Cheers
Mark

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
It's a difficult look to carry off well- I usually don't try (except for flight jackets) because I almost invariably end up in full uniform- pinks, shirt, etc. I like things that match, like Grranimals. It's also difficult to find civi items that go well with the standard US Army officer's trousers (pinks,green,and summer-weight wool). The wool elastique is very heavy and looks kind of odd without a wool or similar heavy shirt of some kind (doesn't help that my wife insists the "pinks" look like polyester), and the color shades are hard to coordinate. Anybody have any suggestions?
Cheers
Mark

Try throwing on the OD or pink trousers with a button-down oxford in white or blue (or you can be REALLY adventurous and try it with striped oxfords!).
Then you can throw on a chunky cardigan or a tweed jacket or a flight jacket for a dressed up-dressed down look.
If you treat them as any other garment, and not as military clothes, maybe you can open up your imagination with throwing it with other pieces in your wardrobe.

Feraud

Bartender
fishmeok said:
Cheers
Mark
Military trousers go with nearly everything. Button down white shirts and a tie for work, chambray or plaids for weekends. Turtlenecks and sweaters look great with military pants too. Leather jackets, sport coats, fedoras, caps, workboots, all compliment military pinks and green.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A-2 cazh'

Just took this one tonight after arriving back by bike from the university.
It's my just-received, russet goatskin, Good Wear Doniger 21539, purchased from greyhound68. Very comfortable and great feel.
2908829464_01605f0886_o.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Not the best photo, but here are my HBT trousers and roughout boots in use.

10-8-08004.jpg

The pants are repros that were used in "Saving Private Ryan". I have several more pairs, all of which are filthy and torn. These came from atthefront.com, who got two semi-trucks worth of SPR uniforms and props after filming.

The boots are postwar French double buckle boots:
Frenchies.jpg

I bought them for WW2 reenacting and cut the cuffs and the lugs off to fit them to WW2 roughout boot specifications. I then rubbed several coats of olive oil into the leather to make them water proof. I can now walk through several inches of water and my feet stay dry. Olive oil also doesn't clog the pores of the leather like other treatments will, meaning the boots will last longer.
I've had these for 3 years and after almost constant use they are still in great shape. They are tough boots.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Not the best photo, but here are my HBT trousers and roughout boots in use.

10-8-08004.jpg
Eek! Close quarters. You must have miners' blood to be able to do that.

(Is that at Ledges? I think they prefer people climb on the rocks rather than in them.)

I then rubbed several coats of olive oil into the leather to make them water proof. I can now walk through several inches of water and my feet stay dry.
Secrets of the Italian campaign...?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Eek! Close quarters. You must have miners' blood to be able to do that.

I do. And I'm claustrophobic. :D

(Is that at Ledges? I think they prefer people climb on the rocks rather than in them.)

Yeah, that's the Ledges. Off the beaten path. Unfortunately the cave doesn't go back very far.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Great thread!

Most of my vintage wardrobe is military...

WickhamSquare07151.jpg

(I love my French army boots! But they are tough... difficult to drive the kombi in them, as there is no ankle movement in them :eusa_doh: )

And a family photo of my great uncles friends on a hiking trip just after the War. Most are wearing an assortment of civvie and military kit. Unlce Barry is wearing his Denison smock, a couple of other chaps in battledress blouses. The dark one could possible be dyed...

70a6f7da.jpg

After the war my grandfather wore an Irvin (he bought it from a Canadian while stationed on an airfield for £5 during the war) as workwear, while driving his milkfloat. He also dyed his battledress using boot polish, as a work suit.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mike, you've posted that first photo here before I think and I thought it was a great snap the first time too. The BSA Irvin, flatcap, RN jumper (or similar) and old army boots is a great look. Very dashing, my cap (flat or otherwise) is off to you.

jawisher

Familiar Face
I never thought about this much before, and I think I may mix more military items into my vintage look. A-2's are so ubiquitous, I don't always even think if them as military wear. I inherited an old one from my older brother, that I think is something like 1950s vintage, and I wear it all the time.

I also wear a five button WW2 GI sweater whenever it gets cold out. Like a lot of old GI uniform parts, it's both smart-looking and practical.

Doug C

Practically Family
I've been wanting to get a good pair of Army HBT pants (like thunderw21 has on) for casual wear, they'd go great with my Alden 405s, I imagine. Also, I'd love to eventually get an Irvin jacket (like Mike1973 is wearing) but I think it would have to be an original because to me the remakes always look a bit too "full/plump" if you know what I mean - and I realise that it's accurate, where as a lot of the originals have a bit of a deflated, thinner look that I like.

Doug C

Burnsie

Mike1973 said:
Most of my vintage wardrobe is military...

WickhamSquare07151.jpg

This pic is totally badass without even trying to be - cap, selvage jeans, military boots and jacket.....IMO the epitome of cool vintage style!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld