Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Union Labels

GWD

One Too Many
The pictures of Baron Kurtz labels are no longer available does anyone have the information or knows where it can be found?

could someone direct me to the thread that outlines the union labels?
I recently came by a really nice suit with a red numbers union label and would like to date it, how ever aproxamate it might be.

filfoster

One Too Many
I have read that union label tags can be used to date clothing. I haven't been able to decipher a date on these tags.
1. Is there some kind of code?
2. Is the date just often on the part sewn into the seam?
3. Do these labels always have a date? (This is important: It would justify a gentle seam rip and repair to see it).

Yup, that's a very helpful thread indeed. Many thanks also to the people at steelzipper.com (which is linked in the thread) for putting together that clear, concise overview of the clues to dating provided by the union labels.

I've been repeatedly taken aback by the numbers of people who deal in vintage clothing who have little if any knowledge of union labels. Some apparently don't even know to look inside the interior pockets. (Not all, certainly, and probably not even close to a majority, but enough to have me repeatedly scratching my head.) Just last week I bought a suit (cheap, by the way) with not only the '49-'62 union tag, but also another label dated 1955. This all led me to believe that what I have here is a suit made in, oh, 1955 or so. It's highly unlikely the sellers (a large thrift store) knew that, though, for if they did it would have been priced much higher.

Dagwood

Practically Family
NRA Label information:

I found this interesting: "On October 13, 193[3], the First Lady and her daughter Anna sewed on the first Blue Eagle NRA labels, made under the Coat and Suit Code. She received the coat from the shop workers, and union cooperation in the effort was reflected in President Dubinsky standing by her side in the photograph. In January of 1934, Secretary of Labor Perkins sewed in the first dress label and in February, Eleanor Roosevelt sewed in the first hat label with a golden thimble from the Millinery Workers Union. These events were covered not only in the union newspapers, but in the mainstream press, such as The New York Times (Cook, Vol. 2, 79)."

Note - the article states that Mrs. Roosevelt sewed on the first NRA label in October 1934. However, according to the NY Times, it was 1933.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Saw this on a '60s shawl collar tux. I don't recall having seen it before.

P1000925.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Hi hbk,

I've got a pair of early 50s trousers with this label. but i've also seen the exact same label used in 1970s women's jeans. [huh]

bk

I had that three piece belted back single breasted number once, it had that same union lable in the vest, coat and back pocket of the pants. That suit was early, pre NRA I'd say.

Funny it's been seen in women's jeans from the 70s... now my question is why are you looking at women's jeans from the 70s? lol

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I'm uncommonly interested in finding out whether there is any dating info to be gleaned by the differences in the 49-68 labels. As you can see, Feraud's one has the numbers printed in black ink. There are also 49-68 labels with red ink numbers. I am certain that the red ink is earlier than the black. i'd like to know when the cross-over occurred.

bk

From what I found out through research of union labels there is one extra hint to date a union tag between 1949-1968. Starting in 1962, the letter R in a circle was added to the label. There was one tag that baffled me however. It was an ACWA tag, but it was on the inside of the collar and it had black lettering on a shiny silver material.

caravan70

New in Town
The R symbol...

GoldenEraFan said:
Starting in 1962, the letter R in a circle was added to the label.

That appears to be the consensus... I note, though, that in post #34 Feraud presented a label stamped July 30, 1956 that seems to have the R in the lower left corner. I wonder if anyone can shed light on this (unless the date was stamped on much later for some unfathomable reason)?

Thanks in advance! (And thanks to all for much enjoyable and informative reading before I took the plunge and joined! :) )

Darren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider