Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unlined jackets and sizing up or down

rocki

New in Town
Looking at picking up an unlined jacket, wanted to hear people’s thoughts and experiences with them.

Also, I find myself having to pick jacket sizes based on it fitting my torso well and being tight through the shoulders, or fitting my shoulders and being baggy. I don’t think there’s many ways to get around this short of tailoring a jacket. What do people prefer when picking between the two?

Edward

Bartender
In terms of sizing, I'd stick with the same size you are happy with in the same / similar jacket lined. The vast majority of jackets - shearling lined aside - won't have enough extra room with the lining removed from the shell to make any difference.

Agreeing with @Edward. The difference is negligible. Certainly not enough to warrant a different size. If it was sheepskin lined then yeah, 1+ size would help but otherwise.

I'd rather the jacket is tight around the waist. Wider shoulders I can live with. Easier to wear over layers.

rocki

New in Town
Thanks! And to clarify, when I’m saying unlined I mean it’s rough out on the interior, like a schott 571. Looking for something lighter that I can wear more of the year

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer a jacket that fits my shoulders and fits a bit baggy elsewhere although I know The other option looks much better when worn.

bn1966

I’m expecting an unlined suede Trucker next week, I’ve two lined jackets in a 26” chest and am going down to 25” this time for something a bit more fitted given that it will be only worn over a T shirt and open most of the time..hoping it works out.

bn1966

If a jacket doesn’t fit my shoulders it’s going on eBay or down the thrift shop..

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! And to clarify, when I’m saying unlined I mean it’s rough out on the interior, like a schott 571. Looking for something lighter that I can wear more of the year
I have a jacket with the lining I can totally take out and wear with suede interior, I would take the same size, suede feel different than let say the inside of denim jacket, suede feel stickier I don't like it to wear it too trim to my skin or to my clothes

rocki

New in Town
Pulled the trigger on a Schott P571 (Mission). Should be here next week, thanks for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner