Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Atomic

One of the Regulars
I thought Blade Runner was boring, predictable, and over rated.

I finally saw it a few years ago after hearing fantastic things about it since my childhood. What a let down.

I STILL like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Also, when I saw the previews for Avatar before it hit theaters - I actually thought it was intended to be a joke. Tall blue people with dreads running around in the jungle? C'mon. I still can't believe it won all those awards and people acted like it was the film of the century.

EmergencyIan said:
"Inglourious Basterds" ... I think it's very, very overrated. And, I expected it was a fine movie, before I watched it.

Terrible.

Agreed. The only redeeming thing about the entire film was the soundtrack.

I'm no fan of Tarantino - personally, or his films. I could go into long and sordid detail, but I'll just leave it at that.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I liked the film version of Daredevil... many people said it was awful but I thought it was great and while we are on that note... I like Ben Affleck as an actor, he's done what every actor has which is make some bad films. So what? He's made some good ones, and directed some good ones as well.

Also, I really liked Unbreakable. The Sixth Sense, not so much, Signs was good... everything after that made me want to cry.

The Prestige is Christopher Nolan's greatest film to date.

My favorite film of Tom Hanks? A League of Their Own. I laugh everytime I watch him in that film, pure awful genius.

Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly brought absolutely nothing to the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Johnny Depp made the movie and most of the ones he is in.

LordBest

Practically Family
I dislike Casablanca.

I enjoyed Indiana Jones IV and felt it was authentic to the comic book heritage of the character.

I may even have enjoyed the Star Wars prequels a little. (Honestly, skip through the romance and gungan bits and it isn't too bad. I will admit to being rather ashamed all the same.

I filnd film, in general, to be a much over rated medium for story telling when compared to television. You can fit much more story into a season of television.

V.C. Brunswick said:
Then there's the Guy Movie/Chick Flick conflict when going on a movie date. To simplify things, in Guy Movies people get blown up or blown away. In Chick Flicks they die of some terminal illness.

And the crowning example of Chick Flick is Love Story. :eusa_doh: I almost got to the point of "ok, die already." Sappy as all get out. A bigger steaming pile I have never seen. :eusa_doh:

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly brought absolutely nothing to the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Johnny Depp made the movie and most of the ones he is in.
Keira Knightly brings little more than a slightly hysterical screech while "emoting" to any film she has been in. She's not as bad when being quiet, but if the role requires anything more than a dull throb from her, she is grating

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Keira Knightly also leaves me baffled, can't act and she looks like teenage boy...

I'm tired of gritty crime films set in Boston that are so self-referential of locations and sub-cultures in Boston but don't explain the context to someone who doesn't know Boston. I gave up some 20 minutes in The Departed...

Here's a really unpopular movie opinion: I liked Dicaprio in The Aviator :p I also think that movie had one of the best soundtracks for a period film I've seen in years.

Like Packin' Heat I think Barry Lyndon is one of Kubrick's best films.

Oh one more, I liked Batman Begins much more than Dark Knight.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Okay, here's one: Sin City. Everybody I know loves this film, and with its gritty noir look I was easily enticed to see it. I won't go into its over-the-top cartooniness, as the film aimed for that (which was poor judgment in my opinion). I will merely highlight two big letdowns that prevented the film from fulfilling what makes noir what it is:

1: Violence: I am not against violence per se in film noir, since the characters are often murderers and thugs. What I object to is that the violence is meant to be the main thrill of the film. Violence in film noir should be incidental and woven in non-romantically, it shouldn't be the primary entertainment. Psychological tension and suspense should be what the viewer feasts upon.

2. Absolutism: Even though the protagonists are anti-heroes, there is no blurring of the ethical lines here. The antagonists are pure evil and lack any interesting personalities that might redeem them to the audience or at least make them memorable. This might might pass in a pinch, but what doesn't is that, along with this, the film tries to shove the justice of protagonists' actions down our throat. Moral ambiguity is a defining aspect of film noir, even neo-noir. Either the justice of the protagonists' actions has to be in question or the villains have to fascinate the audience with character to an extent that some sympathy is grudgingly felt.

I understand that the film is based on a comic book, but one cannot be soft on a film because of its source material. Either pick something better for an adaption or alter the film to work.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Packin' Heat said:
Okay, here's one: Sin City. Everybody I know loves this film,

Apart from me, too. I thought it was a very forgettable watch. Lacklustre. Lacking depth. A classic example of style over substance.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Packin' Heat said:
I like the 1989 Batman better than either film, though I admit that comparing the two visions of Gotham isn't entirely appropriate.

I love the 89 Batman, but my favorite out of the entire franchise is Batman Returns with Catwoman and The Peguin.

I find it funny because everyone loves how "gritty" and "creepy" Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are, but those are the reasons people give for hating Batman Returns. The Tim Burton vibe was in full effect on this movie, Danny Devito was disgusting and endlessly interesting to me, and Michelle Phiffer was awesome (minus the fact that in high def she looks like she's on a coke binge through the entire movie with bloodshot, sunken eyes). The characters are flipping back and forth between good and evil, and set is eternally dark, and the story was interesting.

I honestly haven't met anyone else who likes this movie, just a few people that thought its "okay".

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
I thought it was pretty good. It doesn't meet the first one for me simply because Nicholson as an actor combined with the Joker as a character can't really be beat by by whatever else might succeed.

I agree with Keaton being a rather poor choice for Batman as well. I think Tim Burton just used him because of prior work with him.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Packin' Heat said:
Okay, here's one: Sin City. Everybody I know loves this film, and with its gritty noir look I was easily enticed to see it. I won't go into its over-the-top cartooniness, as the film aimed for that (which was poor judgment in my opinion). I will merely highlight two big letdowns that prevented the film from fulfilling what makes noir what it is:

1: Violence: I am not against violence per se in film noir, since the characters are often murderers and thugs. What I object to is that the violence is meant to be the main thrill of the film. Violence in film noir should be incidental and woven in non-romantically, it shouldn't be the primary entertainment. Psychological tension and suspense should be what the viewer feasts upon.

2. Absolutism: Even though the protagonists are anti-heroes, there is no blurring of the ethical lines here. The antagonists are pure evil and lack any interesting personalities that might redeem them to the audience or at least make them memorable. This might might pass in a pinch, but what doesn't is that, along with this, the film tries to shove the justice of protagonists' actions down our throat. Moral ambiguity is a defining aspect of film noir, even neo-noir. Either the justice of the protagonists' actions has to be in question or the villains have to fascinate the audience with character to an extent that some sympathy is grudgingly felt.

I understand that the film is based on a comic book, but one cannot be soft on a film because of its source material. Either pick something better for an adaption or alter the film to work.

Agreed every line;
also, a lot of this applies to 300, too.
Which by the way had the dubious success to make angry both my greek, and my persian friends.

Ciao!

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
I found 300 to be an equally obnoxious film (same author of the source material, figures), but I gripe about Sin City because of its betrayal of a film style--noir--that I am unhealthily fond of. Like I've said before, The Man Who Wasn't There is a good example of neo-noir; one can easily tell how it's a massive %$*&ing world away from Sin City.

Sin City had such a cool premise and it ruined it! *weeps*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails