Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgot three

Hi

I REALLY INTENSELY disliked the Matrix series. I took most of the classes for a Computer Engineering degree, so I know computers. The whole concept of a mega computer with fighting programs including programs that are basically cops, programs that are guns etc was TO ME incredibly stupid. How do you fight them?

You find a [INSERT YOUR CHOICE OF REALLY BAD WORD HERE] terminal and type DELETE *.*;* and hit return. Problems solved. :eusa_clap

I feel better already. I solved the whole pretense of these three movies in 12 seconds, therefore I wasted more than 4 hours, 6 times a $12.00 ticket, Drinks, and Dinner in a theater diner with my wife's friends (that I can't stand anyway).

Later

HepKitty

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
Hi

I feel better already. I solved the whole pretense of these three movies in 12 seconds, therefore I wasted more than 4 hours, 6 times a $12.00 ticket, Drinks, and Dinner in a theater diner with my wife's friends (that I can't stand anyway).

Later

:eek:fftopic: that's because movie dates are usually boring, especially as the first few dates. go rock climbing, problem sovled

HepKitty said:
:eek:fftopic: that's because movie dates are usually boring, especially as the first few dates. go rock climbing, problem sovled
Or flying, shooting or (assuming you have access to a "performance" car) see if the local dragstrip will allow you to race with someone in the right-seat--point being, shared experiences make both the date and you more memorable, although the gamble is that this cuts both ways.

Personally, even if there were any movies worth watching in recent years there isn't a one I'd pay full price for, ever. (Gotta love clients who tip you with a steady stream of free passes! Which I usually end up "re-gifting" as small tips for little things like the espresso-bar or sub shop anyway...lol )

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
I'm gonna be a heretic and defend Roger Moore here, just a little.QUOTE]

You know, years ago I was visiting San Francisco and Roger Moore had the hotel room right next to mine.

I'm certain it was him 'cause all night long I could hear a woman's voice saying "Roger....Moore"
lol

Oh, and I totally agree with all who unabashedly bash Dicapprio. Whoever saw leading man status in this kid should be quartered. I don't care how much facial hair they glue on him, he still looks like a casting call loser from the "Our Gang" series.
Best,
Toots

HepKitty said:
that's because movie dates are usually boring, especially as the first few dates.

Then there's the Guy Movie/Chick Flick conflict when going on a movie date. To simplify things, in Guy Movies people get blown up or blown away. In Chick Flicks they die of some terminal illness.

cotillion

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
All exceptions, rather than the rule. The vast majority of feature films made before 1950 ran less than two hours, and a substantial percentage of those ran less than 90 minutes.

It was always my understanding that the barometer for quality movies was usually 100 mins+. Perhaps less timeless, lower quality films ran around 85 (of course exceptions) but 100+ min seems pretty standard for the best films of the 1940s:

Sunset Blvd
110 Min
Double Indemnity 108 Min
Maltese Falcon 101 min
Notorious 101 min
Strangers on a Train 101 min
Mildred Pierce 111 min
The Third Man 104 min
The Killers 103 min

then

Casablanca 102 min
Its a Wonderful Life 130 min
Citizen Kane 119 min
M 117 min
Rebecca 130 min
Grapes of Wrath 128 min

IMO, less than two hours--and it has to be two hours of quality material--is a ripoff.

But that may just be Asperger hyperfocus at work--through that lens, the rest of the world looks like y'all collectively have Attention Deficit Disorder by comparison. (Not pickin' a fight and no offense intended, I'm just saying that different neuropathology can lead to a very different--not necessarily good or bad, just "not the same"--view of the situation.)

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Oh, I love this thread.

I also like how everyone is quite civil about disagreeing. Unlike non-Loungers, who look at me as if I just killed their puppy. On with the:rage:

I hated Steel Magnolias. It's overwrought, manipulatve tripe. Almost as My husband says I have no soul

Will Farrell is nearly as annoying as Jerry Lewis, the Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello.

I do not get the appeal of Nicole Kidman, Gwenneth Paltrow, Catherine Zeta-Jones or Anjolina Jolie. Even if the four of them joined forces, they could not act their way out of a wet paper bag.

Every time I see Tom Cruise and John Travolta, I think of The Master Thespian's line: "I'm acting!"

The Dark Knight movies made me long for the Tim Burton's Batman - don't get me started on Jack Nicolson and Kim Bassinger. While I hated those two, I thought and think Michael Keaton has been the BEST Batman to date.

90% of biopics are a waste and the audience is expected to know the subject and suffer from my next gripe:

Modern American filmmaking is all high points. No character or plot development. Thanks MTV: you killed American cinema.

I hated Sleepless in Seattle. A cross-country stalker movie is not charming, heart-warming or romantic.

Any movie involving Native Americans who are really white guys in Texas dirt, oh and that wretched Dances with Wolves crap. The only thing I hate more than Red Face is White Man's Guilt personified in movie form.

More broadly, I dislike movies where are cultures portrayed yet the filmmaker excludes the people from that culture as actors.

I love Spike Lee movies. Bamboozled showed up and I expecting the Bedazzled remake. It's one of his best movies.

A Marx Brothers movie without Margaret Dumont is lacking as much as one without Zeppo.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
IMO, less than two hours--and it has to be two hours of quality material--is a ripoff.

But that may just be Asperger hyperfocus at work--through that lens, the rest of the world looks like y'all collectively have Attention Deficit Disorder by comparison. (Not pickin' a fight and no offense intended, I'm just saying that different neuropathology can lead to a very different--not necessarily good or bad, just "not the same"--view of the situation.)

Three on a Match, anyone? 63 minutes (according to IMDB) of non-stop Pre-code fun, nary a chance to catch your breath. Same could be said of most of the (WB) Pre-codes, if I'm not mistaken. Lots of bang for your buck, and less wear on the seat of your trousers.

That having been said, I could very happily sink into Greed or GWTW and stay the distance. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21