Unpopular movie opinions...

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by calendargirl, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Absolute and complete wastes of time:

Apocalypse Now
    Thin Red Line
    Sex In The City
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

Actresses who resemble feet:

Julia Roberts
    Sara Jessica Parker
    Cameron Diaz

Kubricks best movie:

Paths Of Glory

Vastly Overrated:

Greta Garbo
    James Dean
    Joan Crawford
    Bette Davis

Linda Thorson was better than Diana Rigg in The Avengers

Watch L.A. Confidential, then watch Minority Report, SAME MOVIE!

2. Charlie74

Charlie74 Familiar Face

I recently saw"The Graduate". It was so "cutting edge" at the time but found Dustin Hoffman's character to be completely insane, obnoxious, and annoying. Today you would arrest him for stalking and take out a restraining order against him

3. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

lol
    Okay, now tell us how you really feel!

4. Undertow

This is exactly why Inglorious Basterds was the only Tarantino film I've fully enjoyed on the same level as actual films.

(Don't get me wrong, Pulp Fiction had its moments, but I still place it on par with comedies and hack ups.)

5. CopperNY

CopperNY A-List Customer

Inglorious Basterds is my second favorite Tarantino film. it seemed less self indulgent and more stylistic than previous offerings. also, the spaghetti western aspect was obvious and acknowledged with "once upon a time in occupied France".

normally Tarantino turns me off because he directs like he's doing you a favor just by letting you in on his private jokes....

my favorite Tarantino effort was True Romance. written by Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott. incredible performances from Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Gary Oldman and Christopher Walken. James Gandolfini is scene stealing in an early role and the cameo w/ Brad Pitt is priceless.

6. conrad5157

conrad5157 One of the Regulars

Most of my opinions have already been covered here with one big exception; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

3 boring actors from 60's dress like the 1890's but act like 60s. Worst western ever made.

7. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I don't find her attractive. I'm not into "delicate beauties." I love the offbeat and/or sharp-featured beauty of Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Joan Blondell, Aline MacMahon, Glenda Farrell, Lola Lane, and Kay Francis. The most beautiful actresses, in my opinion.

8. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

More "unpopular" opinions:

I think Joan Crawford is a beauty even in old age.

I like Virginia Rappe

I think Louise Brooks is overrated, but only because pretentious "film students" think she is so great. In my opinion, she's just another silent film actress that didn't quite make it. I've seen more than her German films. :rolleyes:

I think Corrinne Griffith is terrible.

Lola is the prettiest Lane Sister.

Jean Harlow was the loveliest woman to ever grace the screen.

I find Karl Dane attractive.

I find Clark Gable revolting -- but I like him as an actor/30s film figure.

Glenda Farrell, Winnie Lightner, and Aline MacMahon are all some of the loveliest female film stars of the 1930s, in my eyes.

I like Marilyn Monroe.

Male actors who never did a thing for me: Jimmy Stewart and Spencer Tracy (yawn)

I'd rather go on dates with Hugh Herbert, El Brendel, and/or Karl Dane over "romantic matinee idols" (Clark Gable, John Gilbert, etc) any day of the week!

Hot Water is Harold Lloyd's best film. His most boring: The Kid Brother.

I don't like Chaplin AT ALL.

I still don't see what the hype is over Rita Hayworth [huh] I'd much rather look at photos of Kay Francis in slinky gowns all day.

Everything about Al Jolson makes me giggle! I <3 him and his over-inflated ego!!!

I like the cookie-cutter 1930s platinum blonde with really high and thin eyebrows. She's my favourite female in all of film history.

9. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Disregarding the sounds of people's voices, which are valid opinions, btw, Ive always admired Jimmy Stewart and his characters because they have been, for the most part, fair minded and level headed, two traits I highly value. Does he sometimes play the meek guy? Sure. But in some of his later westerns, he's certainly not meek.

10. Lensmaster

Lensmaster One of the Regulars

Haha, I'm the opposite, I get bored watching the Stooges but love Abbott and Costello. I'm a big fan of verbal comedy as opposed to physical comedy.

11. Lensmaster

Lensmaster One of the Regulars

Yes. I think Farrell has potential as a light comedy actor but he goes with the money which is stupid broad characters with no character. Can't really say anything good for Jack Black.

12. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I dont think theres even one iota of funny in Will Farrell. But his movies make money, so . . .

13. You left out how mono is superior to stereo...;)

I don't think it's the purpose of all directors--for better or for worse--to heighten unreality, so having to use black and white to further said goal is then not mandatory. (The Wizard of Oz veers fairly far from reality, though, and does pretty well in color, I think. In fact, it is the opening and closing sequences, both of which are generally more grounded in reality than the rest of the movie, which are shown in black and white.) Regarding the artistic comparisons between silent pictures and talkies, etc., a certain amount of subjectivity comes into play. In addition, to broadly state that all of one group are superior to all of another seems a bit hyperbolic. A superior photographer, for example, can invest much artistry into his/her compositions, producing works which rival the canvases of master painters. (Even within the discipline of painting, if I were to say that Cubism--because it omits "key ingredients of reality" [by rendering them abstract] and therefore makes the viewer more of an active participant--is artistically superior to Realism or Impressionism, my view would be roundly applauded by some and roundly rejected by others due to its subjective nature.) And as to why average "moderns" hate black and white films, I don't believe that it is solely due to not wanting "to work for their entertainment," but rather a result of the simple fact that they are used to seeing "modern" films and TV programs in color, and therefore perceive anything black and white as outdated (i.e. "inferior"). And that's where we need to educate them. (Yet as regards artistry and media in general, I'll grant you this: "The House on Cypress Canyon" could never be as scary on television as it was on radio...)

14. Then don't come to my house...:rolleyes:

15. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg One of the Regulars

Cameron Diaz - please go away.

Scarlett Johannson - go with Cameron.

When, oh when, will these stooopid people in Hollywood realize that Jennifer Anniston is nothing but good hair. Can't act and no man in his right mind would ever date he without hearing the clock of doom ticking in the background!

Enough said!

Mary S.

16. Tiller

Tiller Practically Family

His characters maybe annoying to some, but he was hardly a wuss in real life. He was veteran of three wars, and rose to the rank of Major General.

17. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Do you hit your guests with custard pies? ;)

18. ClassicMan1966

ClassicMan1966 New in Town

While I admit that "OHMSS" had a great story and wonderful music, Lazenby can't act his way out of a paper bag.

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

Agreed.... and yet he was still a better Bond than Roger Moore. Roger Moore killed Bond, really.

20. Undertow

Yes, very interesting point!