Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

For those that don't like the Godfather series, I can understand if one it holds no interest or two it hits too close to home. Some people think that the Godfather films stigmatize Italians and Sicilians and won't watch them. (In the end in every group of ethnicity there are the good and the bad.)

As I came from Long Island and the NYC area and read the papers, watched the news, heard the personal anecdotes of people "involved" with some of the low level ones, it has an interest to me. The inner workings of powerful families is often interesting. The book's author Mario Puzzo said "These are all good guys that just happen to kill people." The lead in quote for the Godfather is something like "Behind every great fortune there is a crime."

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I hate Star Wars. Didn't see it until 1996 and then I realized I hadn't missed a thing. Don't understand why anyone would want to dress up like the characters either. NUTS!

Al though I prefer Star Trek, I do enjoy the first three Star Wars movies. I see those who like to dress up no stranger than those who paint their faces and go to sporting events. Fans just want to be a part of things.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I hate Star Wars. Didn't see it until 1996 and then I realized I hadn't missed a thing. Don't understand why anyone would want to dress up like the characters either. NUTS!

Anyone who did not see Star Wars in the theater (and I'm talking non-shoebox, full-size theater) when it came out in 1977 has no frame of reference to appreciate the sheer impact that movie had on audiences. By 1996 the amazing special effects and attention to detail in movies that were introduced in Star Wars were ho-hum and expected--in 1977 they were astounding. True, the basic story itself has been told many times in many different ways, but that doesn't stop audiences from enjoying it time and again against different backdrops.

As for the dressing up in costumes, well, as Charlie B. says, fans just want to be part of things. I don't understand people who decorate their house with fanboy stuff for their favorite team or NASCAR driver, of who wear "official" uniform items when out in public, but chalk it down to the same urge as drives people to dress up when they go to science fiction or comic conventions.

Cheers,
Tom

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Anyone who did not see Star Wars in the theater (and I'm talking non-shoebox, full-size theater) when it came out in 1977 has no frame of reference to appreciate the sheer impact that movie had on audiences.

I saw it in 1977, in a full size theater.

Six-speaker Dolby was relatively new at the time. The opening theme, the receding written narrative, and then the bottom of the battle cruiser appearing with full sound moving from the rear to the front of the theater was astounding! The spaceship special effects were miles ahead of Star Trek, the TV series (the first movie was still two years away). I could go on but that stage-setter began the greatest movie I had seem up to that time, and for many years afterward.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
For those that don't like the Godfather series, I can understand if one it holds no interest or two it hits too close to home. Some people think that the Godfather films stigmatize Italians and Sicilians and won't watch them. (In the end in every group of ethnicity there are the good and the bad.)

As I came from Long Island and the NYC area and read the papers, watched the news, heard the personal anecdotes of people "involved" with some of the low level ones, it has an interest to me. The inner workings of powerful families is often interesting. The book's author Mario Puzzo said "These are all good guys that just happen to kill people." The lead in quote for the Godfather is something like "Behind every great fortune there is a crime."

Thank you, my Danish-Norwegian friend;)...Anyways, I think that The Sopranos and Jersey Shore are more of an insult to Italians.

For years, I wouldn't re-watch the first two Godfather films, since I am part Sicilian (the overwhelming majority background of Mafia/Cosa Nostra/Mano Nera family members) and didn't like the way the movies helped to again stereotype Italian Americans in general (while realizing that stereotypes often contain a grain of truth). Now I can watch them for what they are: a director's interpretation of a novelist's/screenwriter's interpretation of the development of organized crime in the US. Did some characters, and their actions, as portrayed in the film really exist? No doubt. Are some others merely fictional, based on "idealized" interpretations? Sure. Did and do the films generate some negative stereotypes of Italian Americans. I believe so, but I also realize that such an outcome is difficult to avoid when dealing with historical subjects involving ethnic/religious/whatever groups. Yet for whatever such films may or may not have done, I can say one thing: Having an Italian surname has proven more of an asset than a deficit. (Hey, even John in Covina has once or twice muttered "Godfather" to me under his breath...:lol:)

rue

I personally love the Godfather movies, but then again I think, in a sick way, the lifestyle/power (the men most especially) is hot. I've always been fascinated by the mafia. As far as stereotype.... well. I'm mostly German, but not all of us are Hitler, if you know what I mean ;)

As for the Star Wars movies, the first one was great, after that... not really interested.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up

Anyone who did not see Star Wars in the theater (and I'm talking non-shoebox, full-size theater) when it came out in 1977 has no frame of reference to appreciate the sheer impact that movie had on audiences. By 1996 the amazing special effects and attention to detail in movies that were introduced in Star Wars were ho-hum and expected--in 1977 they were astounding. True, the basic story itself has been told many times in many different ways, but that doesn't stop audiences from enjoying it time and again against different backdrops.

As for the dressing up in costumes, well, as Charlie B. says, fans just want to be part of things. I don't understand people who decorate their house with fanboy stuff for their favorite team or NASCAR driver, of who wear "official" uniform items when out in public, but chalk it down to the same urge as drives people to dress up when they go to science fiction or comic conventions.

Cheers,
Tom

I can't argue about the sports team stuff. That crap went out or should have with beleiving in Santa Claus.

Thank you, my Danish-Norwegian friend;)...Anyways, I think that The Sopranos and Jersey Shore are more of an insult to Italians.

For years, I wouldn't re-watch the first two Godfather films, since I am part Sicilian (the overwhelming majority background of Mafia/Cosa Nostra/Mano Nera family members) and didn't like the way the movies helped to again stereotype Italian Americans in general (while realizing that stereotypes often contain a grain of truth). Now I can watch them for what they are: a director's interpretation of a novelist's/screenwriter's interpretation of the development of organized crime in the US. Did some characters, and their actions, as portrayed in the film really exist? No doubt. Are some others merely fictional, based on "idealized" interpretations? Sure. Did and do the films generate some negative stereotypes of Italian Americans. I believe so, but I also realize that such an outcome is difficult to avoid when dealing with historical subjects involving ethnic/religious/whatever groups. Yet for whatever such films may or may not have done, I can say one thing: Having an Italian surname has proven more of an asset than a deficit. (Hey, even John in Covina has once or twice muttered "Godfather" to me under his breath...:lol:)

Gee Godfather, you'll have to excuse me. I like all those---even Untouchables too.:p
It has done nothing detrimental to my view of people from that area either. I think most people can separate movies from reality but then again, there are those who take their history from Hollywood to the detriment of their intellect. :rolleyes: Those people couldn't be helped by reality anyway.
:hippie::wacko::whip:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I still don't get Casablanca. I saw it a couple months ago at Stanford Theater hoping that if I saw it in it's
original setting I'd enjoy it more. It still doesn't do anything for me.

I like The Godfather I and II, not III. I don't think it causes negative stereotypes so much as it does show one man's historical perspective on organized crime and corruption. Here in the Bay Area the last "ethnic" political boss died a couple years ago. He ran his little town with an iron fist. Many people did not know he was Calabrian since he anglicized his surname and was light skinned. But, I never came across one Italian who would ever criticize him. My take on stereotypes is "don't be one".

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I still don't get Casablanca. I saw it a couple months ago at Stanford Theater hoping that if I saw it in it's
original setting I'd enjoy it more. It still doesn't do anything for me.

My take on stereotypes is "don't be one".

As to your reaction to Casablanca, if I may mis-quote Major Renault: "I'm shocked, Lincsong, shocked!" ;)

As to your second comment, I think that, as it applies to negative stereotypes, it makes quite a bit of sense...

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Still can't understand why a 35 year old man would wear a backwards ball cap and want a Wii for Christmas.

Someone once sent me a picture of a dude with a backwards ball cap at a ball game trying to shade his eyes. The caption went something like "someone aught to make a hat with something to protect your eyes". I thought it was one of the funniest things I ever read.

But, we digress....

rue

The only time a baseball cap should be turned around is when someone is working on something that the bill gets in the way, but you still want your head covered (ie working on a car) and then it should be turned back again right after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR