Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I do not care for the rapid cut editing style, as in the Greengrass directed Bourne movie.

I do not care for otherwise entertaining, enjoyable movies where the characters use profanity for no other reason than to use profanity.

Ditto, for any movie that has children spewing filithy language (cf. Goonies).

rcfko

Familiar Face
JimWagner said:
I liked Avatar. shhhhhhhh

In my mind, I didn't like that Avatar was a melting pot of many stolen ideas.
1) Take Disney's Pocahontas (1995)
2) Add Dances with Wolves (1990)
3) With a hint of Apocalypse Now (1979)
4) Throw in a dash of Blizzard's Star Craft space exploratory technologies, ships, weapons, vehicles
5) Design aliens with characteristics of Blizzard's World of Warcraft's Draenei and Elves
Roll it into one big ball and bake in a new 3D technology oven and walla! Avatar

But I did like the movie a lot.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Daniel Craig has been very polarizing.

there's only Connery for me, with Craig a distant second. Moore/Dalton/Brosnan were just embarrassing. still undecided, after all these years, on Lazenby.

not to say that i haven't made a point to see every James Bond film, starting with Moonraker, in the theater....

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Chas said:
Disagree. The Japanese original of "Shall We Dance" is inspired. Wonderful.

That was such a beautiful, quiet little film - I love love love it! I've not seen the American "re-imagining" (quiet guffaw), and don't usually slam something outright unless I've seen it, but past experience with American remakes of perfectly good foreign films tells me it's probably something akin to heart surgery done by a bonobo (with plenty of what bonobos like to do thrown in...:rolleyes: )

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
Dance movies that were not made in the golden age, are complete rubbish. Movies about "dance/cheerleading competitions" are the worst in this category.

Strictly Ballroom was really cool. Well, if you like Baz Lurhmann's style (which I do.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
3-D technology is nothing more than a cheesy novelty designed to blackjack theatres into spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for equipment they don't need to give patrons headaches they don't want. And a lousy, poorly-written and shabbily acted story told in 3-D is still a lousy, poorly-written and shabbily acted story.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I loathed Moulin Rouge - it was pretty much Camille set to a bad soundtrack. Nicole Kidman can carry a tune (just about) but Ewan McGregor's vocals reminded me of the Stenaline ferry foghorn - loud and tuneless - every time he sang it was just a cacophonous explosion.

Speaking of Camille - I've said before that I've really tried to like Garbo but I just can't - her acting comes across as just so laboured and forced - it was a trial for me to sit through Anna Karenina.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Golightly said:
I loathed Moulin Rouge - it was pretty much Camille set to a bad soundtrack. Nicole Kidman can carry a tune (just about) but Ewan McGregor's vocals reminded me of the Stenaline ferry foghorn - loud and tuneless - every time he sang it was just a cacophonous explosion.

An ex-girlfriend of mine made me watch that. I found it the most creatively bankrupt pile of musical nonsense this side of Once More, With Feeling (the chief difference being there was actually one good song in the latter).

LizzieMaine said:
3-D technology is nothing more than a cheesy novelty designed to blackjack theatres into spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for equipment they don't need to give patrons headaches they don't want. And a lousy, poorly-written and shabbily acted story told in 3-D is still a lousy, poorly-written and shabbily acted story.

A lot of folks kept saying to me I should go and see.... what was it called, the Dances with wolves in space thingy.... blue people with cat noses.... for the "event". I saw some clips, the trailer.... well, more than enough on the television to convince me that not even 3D technology could render it more than one dimensional. I did see Alice in wonderland in 3D, and enjoyed it very much. There the technology was, I felt, used very subtly to give the film just a little extra depth as opposed to it being all effects and no content. More Lord of the Rings than The Phantom Menace, if you will. To be honest, though, I don't know that I would have missed it had it not been there. I'm certainly not interested in the idea of 3D TV at home - not so long as it means wearing those clunky glasses. For two hours in the cinema as a novelty, it was okay. They just about fitted vaguely comfortably over my Ronsirs. Not something I'd want to be bothered with at home.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
An ex-girlfriend of mine made me watch that. I found it the most creatively bankrupt pile of musical nonsense this side of Once More, With Feeling (the chief difference being there was actually one good song in the latter).

How could you not like El Tango de Roxanne?
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HvHsAF_gpk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HvHsAF_gpk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
I admit that the movie is not the best in the world, but I loved this song.

Edward

Bartender
Yeps said:
How could you not like El Tango de Roxanne?
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HvHsAF_gpk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HvHsAF_gpk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
I admit that the movie is not the best in the world, but I loved this song.

Nope, hated them all. They seemed to get what Smells Like Teen Spirit was about, but lacked the creativity to make it more than a novelty "oh, isn't it funny, modern pop songs sung all old fashioned like" affair.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
...And a lousy, poorly-written and shabbily acted story told in 3-D is still a lousy, poorly-written and shabbily acted story.

That's how I feel about a lot of movies that gratuitously use special effects. When you're good, you don't need a gimmick.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
Dance movies that were not made in the golden age, are complete rubbish. Movies about "dance/cheerleading competitions" are the worst in this category.

Mad Hot Ballroom was good, but it wasn't typical: it was a documentary about kids in New York City public schools learning to dance for a competition. I liked Swing Kids, too, and I really expected it to be awful.

I don't like most Golden Era dance movies. I'd rather do my income taxes than watch Fred Astaire.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of both Sinatra and Astaire, but my mom sure wasn't.
Her one word reaction to the name of Fred Astaire was always, "Cadaverous", and to Sinatra, "Thug." lol

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Argh! I failed to mention one of my ultimate hatreds! :mad:

Pick a Lord of the Rings movie, any one...

Now promptly flush it down the toilet. They were worse than garbage. I don't care how popular they were, or how many people were turned on to Tolkien, or how cool the crap effects were...

The story was butchered in favor of cameo appearances and special effects. And the end of Return of the King - after all the waste I'd put up with, and all the lame effects - they didn't show the scouring of the Shire...

And was it me, or did it seem like every 5 minutes of the film was highlighted by some dramatic piece of music followed by epic acting? Gandalf comes hobbling out of the woods with toilet paper stuck to his boot and there's music, special effects, people on the verge of tears, etc. Total Rubbish!!

The Lord of the Rings movie franchise was nothing more than a money making scheme unrelated to the stories and entirely self-interested in some grandoise illusion of epic proportions. The books were far, far superior in depth and drama.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
sign me on as an 'Avatar' hater.

my friends were convinced that the story/acting was secondary to the technical breakthroughs. i asked them how long they enjoyed looking at bright shiny objects. a group of them saw it -seven- times in the theater. :eusa_doh:

if it had been a half hour "nature special" feature about the planet, without the actors/catmonkeys, it -might- have been interesting.

going back to "Man Called Horse", we've seen it all before and better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner