Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusually designed late '40s Mallory Fedora

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Appears to be a "modified" hat. The crown was reduced by cutting and sewing it a bit lower. Some of the excess was probably used for the "gills".
My guess is a higher crown 30's hat "updated" for 1940-50's fashion.

John Galt

Vendor
If that was done, and I'm not saying it was, whoever did it was very talented. Maybe somewhere like Pantke-Harpke, which advertised and was known for renovating older hats to newer styles. I once traded this particular seller a gorgeous 1930's Whippet that had been cut down there in 1960, a few days after the shop ran an ad about renovating old styles. I got a very nice Knox Vagabond King out of the deal. I will also say that WTH's starting bids are very reasonable even for somewhat rare hats, especially compared to certain other eBay sellers (who seem to think they've got the only Resistol "Kitten Finish" hats and the like in the world). His communication & description were also good, and he shipped quickly. I'd buy from him again any day.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

I don't think so. This looks like the kind of sporty style many mfr's were producing in the late 40s. Obviously not the same hat, but the Mallory Country Club had a similar felt band.

$(KGrHqV,!jkE66tt+VPkBO-Vc-w0YQ~~60_3.JPG

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
What makes me think that this is a reworked hat, is that it is no self-felt band, but obviously a cut crown sewn in to create the effect of a band.
Has anyone ever seen a hat like this before?

BTW I think it looks rather smart and apparently quite well done.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I know I've seen one of these before, but can't find the pictures. I'm almost positive that it's not a re-worked hat.

Yes, I realise that. I'd love to see a picture of the work under the sweatband.

As I say, I have seen hats with the crown a different felt from the brim, joined together about 1/4" up from the bottom of the ribbon, so the join is hidden. Can't remember which hat, but I think it was a Dobbs. Just as an example, this Dobbs Fifteen sold on eBay recently:

707512137_o.jpg

What makes me think that this is a reworked hat, is that it is no self-felt band, but obviously a cut crown sewn in to create the effect of a band.
Has anyone ever seen a hat like this before?

BTW I think it looks rather smart and apparently quite well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany