Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Currency Circa 1923

Warbaby

One Too Many
Not only were they beautiful examples of the engravers' art (I particularly like the fiver), but were actually worth something in those days. You could exchange your intrinsically valueless paper at any time for silver.

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
And the notes were much larger. Today's standard wallets couldn't hold them. You'd have paper hanging out over the edges.

Cheers!

Dan

There was a cartoon drawing in the later 1920s, showing the old large currency as a matron (think Margaret Dumont) and the new smaller bill as a flapper.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The slang term for the old notes was "horseblankets," which is pretty fitting when you see one in person. When the new money came in in 1928, it was called "Phillipines style," because it was patterned after the currency used on the Phillipine islands.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Interesting. I was told that the bigger bills were also called bedsheets by some folks. I can see why they called them horseblankets also. The art work on those old bills are great.

My favorite is the 1899 $5 silver certificate

indian-five-dollar-bill.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24