Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Marines and USMC reenactors?

EwaMarine

New in Town
One more thing!:

What about the belt for the WW2 Alphas????
Where do you find one of those???
Shoulder Rank for Msgt??
Forgive the ignorance but still learning yet want perfection...in the accuracy...Its a Marine thing. Do it right or just kill it.

JoshK

New in Town
There are 2 options. 1st is of course to get an original which do sometimes come up on Ebay. Problems are of course that certain sizes may be hard to get and the condition may vary. The second option is to get the garrison belt from WPG and dye it the proper cordovan color:
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=97&bc=no

It will be missing certain features(like the button behind the buckle) but will be the best you can do till someone reproduces the belt. Remember to oversize it enough so it will still fit over your overcoat.

For Stripes I would go with originals or check this guy out for reproduction:
http://stores.ebay.com/National-Cap...7955QQ_sidZ4407197QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

For those who don't know here is a very informative website on the USMC during World War II:
http://www.ww2gyrene.org/

Just Going to add here some books that all USMC reenactors should have:

Grunt Gear(As recommended by the USMC museum at Quantico):
http://www.amazon.com/Grunt-Gear-Combat-Infantry-Equipment/dp/0912138920

USMC Uniforms and Equipment 1941-1945(Has some inaccuracies but is good for the beginner):
http://www.amazon.com/Uniforms-Equipment-1941-1945-Bruno-Alberti/dp/2915239991/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Dungarees to Frog Skins(mostly about uniforms but has some good original pictures and reconstructions):
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Uniforms-Insignia-Personal/dp/0764322648/ref=pd_sim_b_18

Pacific Warriors(Great place to begin when researching the "look" of a pacific marine I highly recommend any of his books as they all feature a ton of original photographs so you can portray each campaign authentically):
http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Warriors-Marines-Pictorial-Tribute/dp/0760320977/ref=pd_sim_b_4

USMC Uniforms 1900-1940(This is only for those trying to navigate the minefield that is reenacting pre-war USMC):
http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Marine-Uniforms-1912-1940-Moran/dp/B0006S18AC

782 Gear(not out yet but sure to be a must buy when it does):
http://www.amazon.com/782-Gear-Unit...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261193529&sr=1-4

-Josh

DannyBoy

New in Town
JoshK said:
I would e-mail him about it but I'm not entirely sure. I got mine more than a year ago now, one of his very early production ones.

The Army interpreter sounds interesting. Do you know if the USMC had the same thing? The only one I know about is Guy Gabaldon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Gabaldon

-Josh
Cool deal, I'll shoot him an email after the New Year.

I know the Navy had it's own Japanese/Oriental Language School based out of the University of Colorado, Boulder, and sent many of its graduates to Allied Translator and Interpreter Service in Brisbane, Australia. I would assume that some would also have been assigned to USMC units as they were island hopping towards Japan.
Many Japanese-American linguists (who were only allowed to enlist in the Army) though, were assigned to Marine units which likely suggests that the Navy's school at Boulder was smaller or not as as developed as the the Army's Military Intelligence Service Language School at Ft. Snelling, MN that cranked out thousands of interpreters by the end of the war, and hence had to use Army interpreters to fill the gaps.

JoshK

New in Town
Very interesting. Do you have any books that you would recommend on the subject that sounds very interesting?

-Josh

DannyBoy

New in Town
JoshK said:
Very interesting. Do you have any books that you would recommend on the subject that sounds very interesting?

-Josh
"Yankee Samurai" by Joseph Harrington is probably the most widely available book on the topic. It's all over the place, and you can probably find a copy online for no more than a couple dollars.
"Rising Sons" by Bill Yenne is a more recently published book that also covers some of the work of Japanese-American's in the Pacific, as well as in Europe with the 442nd (in fact the cover photo is of two Nisei interpreters with Frank Merrill of Merrill's Marauders).
Other than that it's somewhat difficult to find decent published materials on the work of translating and interpreting units. After graduating from language school, graduates were sent in teams to different units all over the Pacific, making the documentation of what many of them did difficult. In fact it's believed that the Navy and Marine Corps recorded little to nothing of the Army interps attached to Navy and USMC units.
As for those who went through the Navy's language school, I don't know of any books on them, although to be honest I mostly focus my research on the Army, so there could very well be something out there that I don't know about.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
EwaMarine said:
What about the belt for the WW2 Alphas????
Where do you find one of those???

My husband made his own, and dyed it the proper color.

Here are a few new shots. These were taken at Fort Richardson WWII living history weekend in Jacksboro, Texas, February 20.

USMCWR Corporal typing recruitment forms, with Marine Lt.

2mww7pg.jpg

And here is my husband in his USMC impression based on his grandfather, although unfortunately we didn't get any photos taken together! (He also just finished putting together his WWII USMC dress blues!)

11ka2yq.jpg

The neatest part at the event was a lady and her brother who came up to me and recognized my uniform - their mother had been a Platoon Sgt in the USMCWR during WWII! They said she lied about her age to enlist and then left the service when she turned 18 as the Corps found out and gave her the option of being discharged. She was going to get married anyway as her husband was USN coming home from the war, so she left. Her children said she wore no makeup except the bright red lipstick until the day she died.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Couple more, taken last weekend. My husband and our friend Brandon in their USMC dress blues. Brandon's officer blues are originals, my husband is wearing the WWII Impressions blues, with original cap and all original awards, chevrons, etc. I am dressed as US Navy WAVES in these photos.

2m77xxl.jpg

2rmljb4.jpg

8x4zyp.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
EwaMarine said:
brad.hayes2
I was a 2531 with the Marines from 92 till 01...spent most of my time with the force reconaissance community...
Miss the gang!!
I run a small air museum aboard former NAS Barbers Point and MCAS Ewa.
big into living history only bummer is its not big here....

Trying to get US Marine reenactors to come to Hawaii for the 100th Centennial of Naval Aviation in 2011. If anyone is interested, let me know...It might involve getting on a C-17 or a CVN or LHD from NAS North Island..
The plan would be to come over with the naval warbirds and set up shop next to them while here like at the Reading airshow....

SF
Bradster

In my youth I was acquainted with Al Engle, a pioneer aviator who, after learning to fly at Hammondsport in '09. He purchased a Type E "Triad" in early '10, and subsequently worked on and off for Curtiss as a demonstrator and instructor. Mr. Engle was the instructor sent with the first A-1 purchased by the Navy, and was recognised as the first Naval Aviator at the celebration of the half-century of Naval Aviation in 1961.

Mr. Engel told a funny story about the celebration. The Navy had built a replica Type E ( the Civillian designation of the A-1) with the intention of using it in a fly-by at the ceremony. When the unit was tested, the pilot (needless to say an experienced test pilot) felt that the machine was nearly uncontrollable, and was unsafe to fly so near the grandstand full of dignitaries. Mr. Engle allowed as hoe he had probably flown more hours in the A-1 than any man living, and that he thought that he could handle it (this at the age of 81!) Of course the Naval officers present were horrified, and a different pilot was found to take the wheel at the celebration.

Ken"Hollywood"

New in Town
For all you who know me I am a U.S. Marine. So to the ones that dont, I do rate to wear the uniform. Now that the formalities are out of the way, here are the pics. I am wearing WWII Dress Blues and Charlies, I dont have ribbons on the charlies because I just wanted to take a quick pic and its late night. Also I might point out My NCO Sword and the Original WW2 Eye glasses. I am still married to the same beautiful woman that watched me march across the parade deck all those years ago.

This is me fresh out of BOOT MCRD San Diego Ca. back in the 80's.
Semper Fi!

USMCmyblues001-Copy2.jpg

11-28-2009083921AM.jpg
11-28-2009084425AM.jpg

11-30-2009124934PM.jpg

P9250009.jpg

P9250010.jpg

P9250012.jpg

P9250017.jpg

P9250023.jpg

2286-31-7a.jpg

obxgyrene

New in Town
New forum member reporting aboard. Served in the Marine Corps from 1978 to 2001.

I'm currently putting together a WW-II Marine Corps khaki uniform and have some very specific questions regarding the actual uniform regulations from 1943 through 1945. An e-mail or PM from anyone willing to assist me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Burton

One of the Regulars
I guess this thead is made up of older posts that have been now revived. Very interesting photos of historical USMC uniforms. I notice some are being worn by folks that I assume never served. Never understood that.

cco23i

A-List Customer
I guess this thead is made up of older posts that have been now revived. Very interesting photos of historical USMC uniforms. I notice some are being worn by folks that I assume never served. Never understood that.

I have no problem with it and I just retired after 27 years. ANYONE who has a love of military history and DOES IT RIGHT I feel should honor the men and women who served during WW2. Our unit portrays USAAF ground crews and almost ALL of us have or STILL are serving and we all welcome the ones who didn't with open arms.

Tsgt. Scott Dunkirk (RET)

obxgyrene

New in Town
I have no problem with it and I just retired after 27 years. ANYONE who has a love of military history and DOES IT RIGHT I feel should honor the men and women who served during WW2...

My thoughts exactly. I did 23-years in the Marine Corps and have no problems with it--unless an individual uses the uniform to misrepresent their background for personal gain (as in "poser").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner