Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US NAVY “Intermediate” Leather Flight Jackets size ranging 38-44.

w1rc

New in Town
I have collected a number of these wonderful US Navy Jackets over the years in search of the “perfect fit”. Sizes range from 38 to 44. However I have now reached the age where it is a good idea to “downsize” my worldly goods mainly to spare my future executors with the task. Prices depend on condition and age.

Currently I have a beautiful size 38 G-1 on eBay. This will give you all the details of the G-1 jacket and you may check my feedback as I am not known here although I have been a member for two years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232885783351

It is priced at USD $325 but I will reduce the price to $300 for forum members who purchase direct. Shipping and insurance is at my cost.

My email is w1rc@near-fest.com. I visit this forum sporadically so messaging me here is subject to delays in replying.

Here is some general information I wrote in another thread on the G-1

Personally I prefer the US Navy G-1 “Intermediate” flight jacket to the USAAC/USAAF/USAF A-2 jacket which is far more iconic and better known but in my opinion not as good. The difference in appearance is the G-1 has a mouton collar where the A-2 collar is leather. G-1s made prior to the 1980s are goatskin. Those made after can be either goatskin or cowhide, probably as a cost-saving measure. Goatskin is preferable. The date is usually shown as two digits in the contract or spec number. Labels are either woven which indicate earlier production or printed which indicate post 1970 production.

The main advantage of the G-1 in my opinion is the pleated “bi-swing” back that offers far more freedom of arm movement than the A-2. In fact I always wondered why the A-2 didn’t offer this feature. I find when wearing my A-2 I definitely notice that my arm movement is restricted by the jacket.

There were several contractors who made them, including Star Sportswear and Brill Brothers. Wikipedia has a very good article on the G-1.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-1_military_flight_jacket

Since WW-II the G-1 has been pretty much continuously issues to US Navy, USMC and USCG officers and enlisted personnel on active flight status. There was a brief gap in the 1980s when they were not issued. They are relatively easy to find on eBay. Be prepared to replace the knit cuffs and waistbands as you would with any vintage jacket that has them.

Go for one with the woven label and you will be very happy.

Attachments

• B9F803E3-2769-40C5-8202-1BA9B4AC644D.jpeg
    B9F803E3-2769-40C5-8202-1BA9B4AC644D.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 900E4424-7B84-4895-8052-0B8F51ABAA4D.jpeg
    900E4424-7B84-4895-8052-0B8F51ABAA4D.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member