Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Wings making a Temple of Doom?

Doug C

Practically Family
Has anyone heard if US Wings ever finished production on the "Temple of Doom" version of the Indy jacket, that they were supposedly working on? I think it was going to be produced in their heavy duty vintage lambskin (vegetable tanned New Zealand sheep I believe).. I'm interested to see what the outcome is.

Doug C

HDRnR

A-List Customer
They have postponed it till the fall due to lack of orders. COW was a few orders short of getting the minimum to start production. The design was complete and ready to go.

Doug C

Practically Family
Hmm, well I was thinking that would be a pretty good jacket. Hope it doesn't fall though completely... but in reality I suppose there really aren't a ton of folks who consider themselves hardcore Indy fans (relatively speaking), especially one's who don't already have a few Indy jackets. The quota is the hard part. Besides, I don't know what that jacket was slated to sell for, but I was just looking at the Wings site and their regular Indy jackets are no longer the great value they used to be, price has increased significantly since I last looked.

Doug C

HDRnR

A-List Customer
The price was 300 bucks, they were going to make a hundred of them. I think it will still happen.

Doug C

Practically Family
Well then all the better, because their normal Indy is around $450 now. I just wished they'd use the older "vintage lamb" instead of the newer stuff... it had so much more character, but even the newer VL is nice because of the vegetable tanning.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Yea, and the $450 is the Sale prices, they're actually around $500.. Man, they've stepped up into the big leagues I guess.

Doug C

bobjones

A-List Customer
The G&B Expedition is a superb jacket, IMHO it is the best option for an Indy jacket, and is an excellent Spring/Fall lighter leather jacket. The goat is to die for...and at $448 is a very reasonable price for such a great jacket.

I love both my Expo and my Aero jackets, different jackets for different purposes and different weather, but both are very highly recommended.

Doug C

Practically Family
bobjones, I know everyone who has the Expo raves about them and probably rightfully so... but my problem with Indy jackets in general is that they're almost always made with too smooth a hide and they lack surface character. I've had many an Indy jacket in my time and refuse to get another one that is not vegetable tanned at the least, but preferably will have lots of grain. I want character in the hide and most don't have much of it, even the G&B ones regarless of hide/skin. However, I've owned two US Wings Indy's that were made from their awesome Vintage Lambskin and it's in a different league IMHO. Well it's actually very similar to the mega expensive stuff that Tony Nowak is using. Both of my Vin.Lamb US Wings jackets had their problems, one had a seam down the middle of the back and the other's fit was way off and the sleeves were made from more pieces than a true Indy jacket should have been - but the point is that the leather was great on both. So, that's really why I'm excited about the Temple of Doom project - supposedly they were going to be made from this leather. JMHO.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn