Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF Cap Devices

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I have been looking online and watching the movie "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" and have found that some guys wear crushers with devices that depict an eagle with straight wings and others wear the device with curved wings. This has baffled me for quite some time now.

Anybody have an insight on what this means? Is there a difference between them?

The Garcia Aviation cap that I am going to purchase has the curved wing device.

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/gearservices/6582b25e0.jpg

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/gearservices/6584302c0.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I notice my for caps all have curved wings, but to tell the truth, I really don't know the answer to why
the difference. But I'm willing to bet we'll all know the answer in a very short time! See below:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Not an expert mind you but...I have seen three types of USAAF officer hat badges. There is a large V shaped badge with the straight wings. Then a smaller V shape with straight wings, and then there is the one with curved wings. I would have to think that the curved wing badge came out mid to late in the war as the curved wing is still used by the Army in gold and the Air Force in silver. The larger V shaped badges are the ones that the Air Corps guys really go nuts over. It really helps the crusher look. IMO
JZ

KilroyCD

One Too Many
US Army Officer's cap devices were made by many different manufacturers, which resulted in numerous variations. Of these, the straight-winged eagle was very popular with USAAF Officers. In your first photo (reproduced below), the middle cap device is highly detailed, and more than likely made in England by Luxenberg.
A good resource for research on uniform items is the book, "Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens" by Jon A. Maguire.
CapDevices.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here I've posted a number of 'crusher's from the same era - note the slight differences in the 'cap device' of each hat - some similar - some same - including some embroiders eagles most likely from the Philappines.

1knox_brand_crusher.jpg
2dobbs_fifth_ave_service_cap.jpg

3bancroft_flighter_olive_crusher2.jpg
4bancroft_flighter_brown_crusher.jpg

6pentibone_brothers_service_cap_eng.jpg
5knox_brand_olive_crusher.jpg

post-182-1205952939.jpg
post-2609-1206233822.jpg

-dixon cannon

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Looking at the caps with the embroidered devices on them really makes me want a cap with a real device on it. It doesn't look authentic at all.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
USAAFAcePilot said:
Looking at the caps with the embroidered devices on them really makes me want a cap with a real device on it. It doesn't look authentic at all.

Don't you just hate it when the real thing doesn't look real?

Matt

KilroyCD

One Too Many
USAAFAcePilot said:
The embroidered (bullion) devices are quite authentic, and somewhat rare. They are far more valuable than the metal cap devices.

p51

One Too Many
USAAFAcePilot said:
MPicciotto said:
Don't you just hate it when the real thing doesn't look real?
Hee Hee Hee... lol :p
Remember, MacArthur's visor hat had all embroidered insignia on it, too. But I agree, that winter hat looks odd with the embroidered insignia. The summer weight one looks great with it, in my opinion!
But as for the eagle styles, the “pointy” one is what most collectors like best because it’s not nearly as mistaken for the modern one. Still, they made the pointy pattern into the 50s, as I have a USAF blue crusher with an eagle with exactly that pattern, but made in AF silver (now badly tarnished).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany