Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF Uniform Info Needed - Insignia type and placement

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Hi, all. I suspect this has been discussed previously on TFL, but I can't seem to find any threads concerning USAAF insignia. I'll be going as an Air Corps pilot for Halloween, I've got everything except the insignia. So who knows what I need? What collar devices and badges were hiding there under the A-2? Any specs. on proper placement?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi, all. I suspect this has been discussed previously on TFL, but I can't seem to find any threads concerning USAAF insignia. I'll be going as an Air Corps pilot for Halloween, I've got everything except the insignia. So who knows what I need? What collar devices and badges were hiding there under the A-2? Any specs. on proper placement?

It is a little hard to see, but the collar insignia on this guy's left collar is the winged prop of an USAAF pilot. Also, I've seen photos of my father in uniform with a 2Lt. Butter Bar on his right collar as opposed to the "US" seen in this photo.

2179888436_ff592c45bc_o-1.jpg

AF

Bingo

New in Town
As far as I know. IF wearing an A2. You wear the winged prop on the left collar. The rank goes onto the right collar. Wings go on the left breast pocket. The medal bars (if they wore them on the shirt), would go under the wings above the pocket. I believe that the wings were the smaller 2 inch ones on the shirt. If you were wearing class A's, there would be nothing on the collar or breast pocket.

I'm sure if I'm wrong one of my fellow 'loungers' will correct me. Have a nice party.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
It depends what timeframe you're representing.

The photo above is correct for pre-September 1942. Wing & prop on the left, US on the right, 2-inch "shirt size" wings just above the left breast pocket. Rank bars on epaulets of shirt.
Example: http://digicoll.manoa.hawaii.edu/hwrd/Libraries/imagelibrary/903-1800low.gif

Anything later war, wing & prop on the left collar, rank bar on the right, wings above left breast pocket.

I'd avoid medals, you rarely see them on shirts anyway.

Last edited:

cco23i

A-List Customer
Yes NO medals on shirts, YES on your class A's AND you WILL wear devices on your jacket collar but NOT on your shirt when you wear your class A's.

Scott

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes NO medals on shirts, YES on your class A's AND you WILL wear devices on your jacket collar but NOT on your shirt when you wear your class A's.

Scott

Hi

No "I was there" medals on the uniform during the war. Dad wasn't issued his until October 1945 when he was let go. I don't know about the Silver Stars etc. "I was there" includes American Defense, Pacific Theater medal, WW2 Victory Medal and good conduct medal.

Later

cco23i

A-List Customer
I only wear what was worn during the war, ETO, American campaign, Army good conduct (as I have 2 BUT as it was a new medal I wear one). No valor medals UNLESS you earned them.

Scott

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only wear what was worn during the war, ETO, American campaign, Army good conduct (as I have 2 BUT as it was a new medal I wear one). No valor medals UNLESS you earned them.

Scott
Hi Scott

I have Dad's discharge papers (had to find them for his Veteran's tombstone). His papers state that he was eligible for the PTO, American Defense (Campaign?) and Victory Medals. These (especially Victory) weren't handed out until the war was over were they? I've been unable to find out. From what he said, he NEVER lined up and got anything pinned on.

Later

cco23i

A-List Customer
Usually when on leave the PTO and American theater would be worn. No one got them "pinned on" they were like our "national defense" ribbon now it's just given to you if you were in during a certain time. So for a uniform I would have a PTO and American defense ribbons on my jacket. Also, see about getting your dad's records, some of his ribbons may not be on his discharge paperwork.

Scott

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Fact remains, if he is wearing a shirt and A-2, no ribbons of any kind would be worn. Other than that, Fort Worth Gal is right on with what would be worn - and it did change, as she stated.

Tom

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Yep, I'll be wearing the shirt with the A-2. Rank on shirt collar right, wing/prop pin on collar left. 2 inch wings above left breast pocket. Thanks again, everyone, for all the valuable info. Now, does anyone know where I can by some repro wings of the correct size for the shirt?

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
I personally don't know anyone who repops shirt size wings. If push comes to shove, there are plenty of original photos showing guys wearing their full-size wings on their shirts - the ones that didn't have a chance or the funds to buy the extra wings.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24