USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Big J, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

I have 2 of these in storage. I really don't wear them day to day, as they were issued as uniform and I am no longer assigned to those specific details. I don't remember feeling cold. But that was a long time ago, and I was also wearing many layers of clothing.

For my assignments, civilian, not military, it was okay. Very good that it protected from the elements. Not so good because it wasn't waterproof breathable, just water resistant.

I was not in Alaska, or Antarctica, or Siberia....... NYC, Sierra Nevada Mountains, and assignments in the deserts of the Southwest...... Yes, the desert got cold at night. There was wind, temperatures dropped, flash floods do happen, and lightning storms. Although the only time I was ever in a desert flash flood, I was out drinking in Las Vegas Chinatown.

Since we are suppose to shelter in place, I have time. Local temperature is 50°F, and windy. Not really fair, so I only wore jogging pants and a t-shirt. I step out, and yes, I felt the cold. That's my baseline. Now I can go for walks around the block to see how the jackets worked.

1st, I went out with an MA-1. It did the job. My torso was warm. Head and legs were cold. I should have worn a hat.

Then I went out with the N-3B. Just as warm. Top of my legs were warm until the wind blew up the hemline and through the front opening. Open the zipper, stick my hand inside, and I could feel the heat inside the coat. The hood worked well. My head was warm.

Now I wear the MA-1, with the N-3B over it. As Doctor Damage described. Raised my arms and swung them around. No restriction. Good range of motion. I wasn't just warm. I got hot. It felt like I was inside a room with the heater turned on.

My personal observation is that I can wear, and have worn,an N-3B, and be comfortable. I also agree with Dr. Damage that modern uniform has more size range options, is better fitting, and the technology just doesn't compare. Even Alpha offers a slim fit, and other insulation options in the civilian market.

Great that people still enjoy the way that they look. And for what it is, I think that it works, in the sense that I am warm wearing it. Although I wouldn't want anyone to think it's a great coat; because people on an online forum like them, or a Japanese ad makes it look great. It's still obsolete.

Doctor Damage likes this.
  2. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Linda Zall.jpg

Cornelius likes this.
  3. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

4. Fifty150

Since March, I have worn the N3-B coats several times. In my climate, 50 degrees Fahrenheit, it's more than I need. Within a few hours drive of home, temperatures drop to freezing and below freezing in the winter. There is snow in the mountains. As I recall that the coats were issued for assignments in an open top Jeep, helicopter flights, and on the deck of patrol boats; I will affirm that it's a good top coat. A coat you wear on top of other layers. A coat which is sized to fit over many bulky layers, and a jacket. I was never cold when actually wearing the N-3B.

5. Kestrel452

Kestrel452 New in Town

Howdy y'all. I was reading somewhere that the N3B is (or at least at one point) was typically paired with what's known as the "F1B trousers". Is that still the case or what matching sage green pants are worn now with it?

6. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

I haven't seen anything specific, and haven't tried to research it, but I'm 99% sure the N3B parkas are no longer used by the military, except perhaps as "shared" coats borrowed for short times by visitors or VIPs visiting bases or getting USAF rides in cold conditions. Same for the F1B pants.

Peacoat likes this.
  7. Fifty150

Pretty sure that by now, active duty is using ECWCS.
    Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 21.46.28.png
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  8. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ Practically Family

I kind of went on a military kick lately acquiring three N series jackets and two field jackets. Hoping the lounge can help identify my two unknown soldier N3B s that are tagless. Both are coyote fur rufs so these are within the same decade.
    First one - Scovill zips, matte satin shell, olive color, larger buttons, horizontal lines on hood stitching
    9442F40C-72DE-46F3-B137-A9AE5F1DFD94.jpeg 97744049-AE7B-4BB4-A2D9-DA8D5BB2BB46.jpeg 383C5029-D9EA-44A8-91F4-2E5E879769CB.jpeg FA7B6AB0-DCA8-481E-B06E-497145A228AA.jpeg

Harris HTM and alfyman like this.
  9. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ Practically Family

Second jacket

Connar zips, shiny satin shell, smaller buttons, diagonal stitch on collar, dark sage color
    D8F08EAE-92A2-490E-8D88-1399124CEDAE.jpeg 0B4883A1-F1C2-475E-8887-20DEF5E23AB5.jpeg 94770DA1-361B-4EBF-BE9A-37D6715556D5.jpeg BEADBF97-D3CC-40A3-B711-24F2AEB9E539.jpeg 4A7FDE77-8135-48CE-8C9A-0F6030285F9A.jpeg 3EB5E062-5A6D-44B6-9B91-F07D7A8702CA.jpeg

Harris HTM and alfyman like this.