Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hello Loungers.

I just bought a Greenbrier N-3b, with it's fake fur hood trim removed as a field mod.
In order to understand the purpose of removing it, I have to understand what it's function was in the first place- but I don't.
I can understand putting a brown fur trim on an OD jacket, but the white fake fur ones just seem like sniper bait to me.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The fur does an excellent job of keeping snow and ice from getting to your face in blizzard-ish conditions when the hood is fully snorkeled.

I had two Army-Navy store-purchased N-3Bs that I wore through high school and college - this was the 70s, they had real fur (coyote on the first, rabbit on the second) that wasn't removable - and I can testify that the fur worked beautifully through the nasty upstate NY winters!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The folks who thunk up N-jacket may have looked to proven designs for guidance.

eskimo-and-his-kayak_zpsc49110ac.jpg

AF

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Big J said:
I can understand putting a brown fur trim on an OD jacket, but the white fake fur ones just seem like sniper bait to me.
I'm pretty sure those heavy USAF parkas were only intended for the worst weather and after you bail out of your B-52 above the Arctic Circle you will find there aren't any snipers hanging around looking for someone to shoot.

These are the conditions those jackets were intended for:

BI_2631_H.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
These are the conditions those jackets were intended for:

BI_2631_H.jpg

And for Old Southern Rebels to wear so their behinds won't freeze off while they're snow tubing in upper Wisconsin. That silly grin started because I snow tubed for the first time in my life that day. But then my face froze, so I had to keep on grinning until we got back to the house.

winterdec09085.jpg

AF

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Wolf fur is the best for parka trim because frost and ice won't stick to it. This can be a problem in the high arctic if the moisture from your breath creates frost and icicles around your face.

This may be why someone cut it off, or maybe they didn't need it because they never wore the coat in extreme cold.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Gentlemen, thank you for all your help.

Does anyone know where I can score a replacement NOS/repro fur?

Deacon211

One Too Many
You know, way back when in my Army Surplus hunting youth, there was a detachable hood in one of these jackets. If you could find one, it would be a relatively inexpensive way to get your pelt back...so to speak.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Deacon, that's awesome! Thank you for your help!

I hope I'm not allergic to real coyote fur...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great stuff Deacon, I can vouch for the quality of Fishtail Parkas product. Had them trim up a M65 version for me...not cheap but very nice fur and work.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I just looked at Atticus Finches photo- he's the same size as me.

So, which sized did you go for, and what are your measurements?

I am 6'2, 180 lbs, for leather jackets i usually aim for 20" shoulders, 42 chest, 26" arms.

Not sure if i would fit a medium or a large...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm 5.10 with a 46" chest and my Masland XL N-3A fits well, there is plenty of room for a bit of layering without it looking like a rent-a-tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch