Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
So, which sized did you go for, and what are your measurements?

I am 6'2, 180 lbs, for leather jackets i usually aim for 20" shoulders, 42 chest, 26" arms.

Not sure if i would fit a medium or a large...

I'm a size 48R in suit jackets; 186.5cm, 112kg. I bought a Greenbrier size XL N-3b a few years back, fit is perfect. So that's how I knew that the Greenbrier XL I just bought would fit, truth be told.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Look, You can learn to identify furs, and find your own in the Thrift store for CHEAP!

just buy an old Ladies Fur coat or something, cut your own pattern from another Jacket, and Stitch it on by hand or get someone to do it for you.

Ive Just waited and bought a modern Day Army Parka for a whopping Ten dollars in the Sally anne with Sheepskin for the hood liner, and cut that out and used it on an older 70s Bomber Jacket before.

no one can tell the dif between wolfs Fur and Racoons fur as far as I can see. If you want to wear it down to minus Freezing!!! in a blizzard of Oz go for it and use the high powered Wolf fur stuff, but I think you could get by on something found at the thrift store cheaper as long as your willing to cut it up and use the rest as scrap...theres places that will accept Used Furs for scrap and make your project happen for you even!

That Jacket in the photo Looks Excellent BTW! Great to see on the slopes! :D

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Should quickly Add that I picked up an oldschool Repro Parka similar to the one in the photo, It was about 25 bucks, and had real Sheepskin around the hood, You could buy something like that and use the fur liner off another parka, and thats easy and cheap.

Just get real Creative!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Good advice.

Now I'm toying with the idea of replacing the fur with correct fake fur replacement, if I can find some NOS.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Good advice.

Now I'm toying with the idea of replacing the fur with correct fake fur replacement, if I can find some NOS.

Hm, you got it *that* bad for this Jacket eh...really...

I would have felt the same way too, should be lots of Similar Matches if you really know what youre looking at, especially second hand materials are cheap cheap compared to ordering NOS, same difference except you spend time and resources to source yours down on foot.

The fake fur should not be hard to find, I would love to see it when you find it!

bon chance!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hm, you got it *that* bad for this Jacket eh...really...

I would have felt the same way too, should be lots of Similar Matches if you really know what youre looking at, especially second hand materials are cheap cheap compared to ordering NOS, same difference except you spend time and resources to source yours down on foot.

The fake fur should not be hard to find, I would love to see it when you find it!

bon chance!

I'll keep you posted mon amis.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I just had a genius idea.

I like the idea of a real coyote trim (thank you Deacon!), but I think that it might be too nice for my coat. If my coat was from the 50's, it'd be ok I think.
I want to try and keep the look of the original. I can't find NOS trim on the net, and whilst I could indeed strip the trim from another coat, I feel kind of weird about doing it unless I can find one that is unwearable, unrepairable, but has a good trim. The search for that coat could take years. So....

I will go over to IKEA at the weekend, and buy one of their sheepskin rugs! I'll cut a strip off that, and use it as replacement trim. It will be white enough to pass as the fake fur original, and should get nicely matted over time, just like the fake fur ones do.

With the left over hide, I'm gonna try making a pair of Inuit mittens. I'll keep you posted.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
official sizing for the N3B recent issue parkas... look at those chest sizes!

n3b_size_chart.png

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Big J said:
Yeah, that's massive! I guess it has to fit over a flight suit, life jacket, survival vest, and the ejection seat by the looks of it!
Perhaps they're made for two persons - shared bodily heat and all that!

It does create a challenge re what size to buy. I'd like to get one of the late model ones but those chest sizes are huge, while the sleeve lengths seem short by comparison. I think with the raglan shoulders, however, the shorter arm lengths are to be expected.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's some comments on the N2B history, don't know how accurate it is, but interesting all the same. http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_clothing_n3b.php

In 1945, the U.S. Army Air Force issued the Jacket, Aircrew, Heavy, Type N-3, the first of a long line of very successful N-3 style parkas. The N-3 evolved into the N-3B by 1958, described as "for aircrew members in extremely cold environments." The N-3B was a single breasted, four pocket, 3/4 length parka with an outer layer of nylon twill (typically sage green), insulated with a layer of wool pile fabric and lined with nylon cloth. The integrated parka hood was fur-trimmed, mouton lined. The N-3B is also known as a "Snorkel Parka" because the hood can be zipped up, leaving only a small opening (the snorkel) for looking out.

The N-3 Parka evolved through a series of specification changes, starting with the original 1945 issue. The first model of "Jacket, Aircrew, Heavy, Attached Hood, Type N-3" was labeled "Specification No. 3110" and had an olive green nylon outer, wolf fur rim on beaver lined hood, and was wool mouton insulated with a nylon inner lining. Around 1950, after the U.S. Air Force separated from the Army, the model became N-3A, the specification became MIL-J-6279 and the nylon outer was USAF blue in color. By 1958 the parka was known as the N-3B, under specification MIL-J-6279A and was grey in color.

The specification continued to evolve from MIL-J-6279B and by the 1970s the color changed to Sage Green under MIL-J-6279F. By then the insulating layer was changed to a warmer, lighter polyester padding. The nomenclature also eveolved, becoming "Jacket, Flying, Man's Nylon Twill, Sage Green USAF 1511, Type N-3B" by the time of MIL-J-6279F in 1964. The FSN for this version was 8415-269-0421 in size Extra Large.

The Jacket specification became a Parka specification, called MIL-P-6279, and continuing to evolve to MIL-P-6279J in the 1980s. The nomenclature was then "Parka, Extreme Cold Weather, Type N-3B." The hood fur had changed slowly from the original wolf and beaver, to coyote, and finally to synthetics. The NSN range appears to be 8415-00-376-1657 to -17xx. In size Large, the NSN is 8415-00-376-1710.

As of 2009, the specification for Parka, Extreme Cold Weather, Type N-3B is MIL-DTL-6279M, published 9 Dec 2003, a very long run for an item of military clothing. For the Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS), the N3B Parka can be replaced with NSN 8415-01-228-13xx, the Gortex "Parka, Cold Weather, Camouflage" along with its liner.

The N-3B Parka is usually worn with the matching F1B trousers, which evolved along with the parka. Later versions of the trousers are known as "Trousers, Extreme Cold Weather" (MIL-T-6284) with NSNs in the range 8415-00-394-3598 to 8415-00-394-3619.

In the same period as the N-3B developed, the N-2B "Jacket, Flying, Man's Heavy" was also fielded, similar to the N-3B but waist length. Both jackets are worn by U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy aircrews as well as others who may acquire them for cold weather duty.

Several of the more recent mil-specs mentioned can be found with a quick internet search.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I picked up a new mil spec sage green Alpha N-3 for £73! It said small but runs larger, but still looks good and by god it's perfect for when it's tipping down or snowing.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I'm kind of struck by how short these parkas are on some wearers, for example the man on the right in the photo below (with Gucci loafers!). I'm used to Canadian Forces parkas which typically come down to the knees.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for making the thread title a bit more general, Paddy. The cold weather is coming soon and N3B parkas will soon be on everyone's mind.

Here's the official USAF guide to wearing them:

parka_1.png

parka_2.png

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I like the final command. Basically, it's a case of 'If you've stuck this thing on, you're going to sweat it out, no matter what.'

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I find the GI N3B from the last several years is a better jacket than production from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I discarded a couple older ones recently after getting a new one by DJ Mfg. It has a lighter shell of tightly woven windproof 100% cotton, insulated with Primaloft in a ripstop lining. The fake fur ruff is nowhere near as nice as real fur but it is soft unlike the scratchy earlier ones. The green fake fur in the hood is the same. Overall a much lighter and more comfortable jacket that is just as warm.

I've got two Greenbriers, one has 80/20 cotton poly mix, the other 100% cotton. Both are a lot less 'sweaty' feeling than 100% nylon. Wouldn't want to wear even a nylon one in heavy rain though.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm kind of struck by how short these parkas are on some wearers, for example the man on the right in the photo below (with Gucci loafers!). I'm used to Canadian Forces parkas which typically come down to the knees.

They are shorter than a lot of other parkas but that guy on the right is surely wearing a size that is too small for him- the sleeves look short to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk