Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
BN1966's dark blue N3B appears to be in spectacular condition. I remember him mentioning it before, but I didn't realize it was so good. Lucky man!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Gentleman

You are right Doc about the N-3A's condition, it is very good, Knopf N-2A needs a good dry clean (have recently sourced appropriately skilled dry-cleaner), minor knit darning & a replacement button (MASH).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Anyone wearing their N3B parka? Today is the first seriously cold day (mostly due to wind chill), about a month late, but someone among our members must be wearing their parkas already.

bn1966

Trotted the M-65 Parka out in the damp (nice and lightweight) certainly no-where near N-3 temperatures though :) Irvin isn't seeing any action either & my D-1 is getting concerned.

CBI

One Too Many
I have a Lancer Clothing Corp N-3B (circa early 70's) in a box wrapped under the tree for me right now. Like pictured on page 365 in "Suite Up"

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
No. It needs to get to below 0 Fahrenheit before I drag it out! Interestingly, last year I was shoveling two of my neighbors driveways and sidewalks along with mine, even when it was below Zero, I would get to hot under my 70s N3B. Now that I am just doing mine, I will be nice and warm in February, shoveling away. ;)

Edward

Bartender
I've been wearing the Silvermans N3B I bought this time last year a lot over the last two or three months, though last night it was so mild I went out in my Dustbowl. My N3B was jut a cheapo option to get me through a cold Winter when I was too big for any of my existing overcoats, but it has certainly proved its value and earned its place in my wardrobe long term - not least in November when the weather turned bitter on us in Rye!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've always liked the N-3B, how it looks and the history that goes with it. I even considered buying one not too long ago but I've got a modern winter parka (a Canada Goose Citadel model) which is quite simply the best made and best specced piece of extreme winter clothing I have and so I really can't justify getting an N-3B now - even though I like the look I just know that I would never pick wearing it over my CG if the weather was terrible as it usually is here over winter. But I love seeing the pics as they are stunning looking coats so please keep the the pics coming!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I've always liked the N-3B, how it looks and the history that goes with it. I even considered buying one not too long ago but I've got a modern winter parka (a Canada Goose Citadel model) which is quite simply the best made and best specced piece of extreme winter clothing I have and so I really can't justify getting an N-3B now - even though I like the look I just know that I would never pick wearing it over my CG if the weather was terrible as it usually is here over winter. But I love seeing the pics as they are stunning looking coats so please keep the the pics coming!
Keep in mind that N3B parkas are military which means they're pretty basic. Buy one for novelty or history or if you live somewhere it doesn't get too cold, but don't buy one for extreme performance.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind that N3B parkas are military which means they're pretty basic. Buy one for novelty or history or if you live somewhere it doesn't get too cold, but don't buy one for extreme performance.

Thanks DD. That's exactly the reason I can't justify getting one - it would just be for novelty value and wouldn't get picked to wear over the CG so it'd be a wardrobe hero. I'm in the process of trying to get rid of jackets and coats now to be honest and narrow everything down to just a few select ones which I like, are functional and will get worn, and that goes for leather, nylon and other fabrics. Might sound strange round these parts but I'm starting to think less is more.

ingineer

One Too Many
Smithy; that Canadian Goose seems superb , but too dear for me.
no need for anything else if you have that
can't wear the N3B until the temps fall into sub-zero.
but i love this USA made one found couple years ago, esp w/ wool jumper
basic= kiss keep it simple s***d
wearing the Gloverall toggle as of late
and the seals navy gortex type 3 parka if it is wet

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy; that Canadian Goose seems superb , but too dear for me.
no need for anything else if you have that
can't wear the N3B until the temps fall into sub-zero.
but i love this USA made one found couple years ago, esp w/ wool jumper
basic= kiss keep it simple s***d
wearing the Gloverall toggle as of late
and the seals navy gortex type 3 parka if it is wet

Great photo ingineer!

Nothing wrong with those N-3Bs, great jackets. I love my Canada Goose but if I didn't have it I'd get a N-3B in a heartbeat ;)

CBI

One Too Many
not sure I agree about being military and getting what you get (meaning maybe not so good???) My 50-s era N-2 is REALLY warm and VERY well constructed. Its got to be very cold for me to wear it!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The biggest problem with the N3B is, it's way over built! It's to long, to heavy, the hood is impossibly big and the wind flap buttons are a real pain when it's cold. Having said that, when it is -20 Fahrenheit (-29 Celsius) out side, it is a nice and warm coat!

Skyhawk

Vendor
I have an 80's Greenbrier N3B. I got it in remembrance of the one I acquired while I was in the US Navy. The USN Flight and ground crews use them in the Artic regions in the P-3 Orion squadrons. I got mine from a departing squadron mate for $10. I was stationed in Japan and used it on the flight deck on the days when we had ops during the winter in the North Korean Sea. That is one cold place!!

As far as aircrew go, you could never wear it in a fighter. It would be unsafe for ejection seats and just is too cumbersome for the tight quarters. Also the fighters have climate control so you wouldn't need it anyway. I think the USN pilots could not even wear their G-1s in the fighters, only the CWU Nomex Jackets. However, G-1s were authorized to be worn in the USN Prop planes. The E-2, C-2, P-3. No ejection seats, in an emergency you bail out..... hopefully.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've got a couple of nice N-3Bs in my collection. And a N-3A. Not sure why I bought them, though. Today, in the third week of December, it's 80 degrees outside. I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I have the air conditioner on. I can hear thunder in the distance and we were under a tornado warning until 11:00 this morning. And I'm wrapping Christmas gifts.

I can't imagine wearing a long sleeve t-shirt or socks, much less a N-3B.

AF

bn1966

Warm & wet over here still.....haven't known a Winter / Fall like it....only two frosts so far & my cold wear is getting very concerned :) Over-dressed in an L2-B today (on the warm side). I remember a few years ago when my Irvin saw the most Fall wear. The N-3A...no chance @ the moment.

I've got an Alpha that I bought because it reminds me of Solo's coat in the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back...and Chicago can have Hoth like winters. That being said its 62 and cloudy today

Edward

Bartender
I've got an Alpha that I bought because it reminds me of Solo's coat in the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back...and Chicago can have Hoth like winters. That being said its 62 and cloudy today

I was only saying the other day I wonder why someone like Alpha has never optioned the rights to do a direct repro of that Solo one. You'd think there'd be a bigger market for that than a USAF repro these days?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner