Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
This is one of my favorite threads on the board, but I have to admit a lot of the shorthand makes it difficult to follow. As a friendly request, when you folk start talking about a brand or model, could you type out the entire name and not abbreviate? Just the first, and maybe second, time you mention them, and then move to abbreviations. Maybe I'm a dunce, but as an example, it took me a bit to figure out what Alaska meant. I still haven't picked up a military version, but I have every intention of doing so. I appreciate when you folks talk about sizing, because quite honestly, I don't foresee using it as a layer. I'm not going to have a jumper, a field jacket, and then the parka on at any moment. I plan to use it as the sole layer, with maybe a wool shirt underneath. I'm inbetween a 38-40 sportcoat, so I've been under the assumption a size small would be what I want.

Last spring, I picked up a navy blue Spiewak Titan fabric N-3B derivative for $12 or $15. It has quilted synthetic insulation with real fur on the snorkel. The pictures made it look like faux fur, so I was surprised when it arrived. I have no experience with titan fabric, but it makes this jacket very heavy. I can tell the fabric is very thick and hardy, but if you've ever seen it in pictures, it does give it an ugly sheen. It was so cheap that I couldn't pass it up, and it also quenched that impatience of wanting a parka sooner than later. I never got a chance to use it this winter, so it remains untested. It's fitted true to size. If they say size 40, they mean size 40.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It took me some searches too. But I believe Alaska is refering to the Alpha Industries Alaska extreme cold weather parka.

Coyote furs wasn't really a bit deal years ago. But when the celebrities made Canada Goose popular people started to look at them under the microscope, and then it's goodbye coyote fur.

ECWCS

New in Town
This is one of my favorite threads on the board, but I have to admit a lot of the shorthand makes it difficult to follow. As a friendly request, when you folk start talking about a brand or model, could you type out the entire name and not abbreviate? Just the first, and maybe second, time you mention them, and then move to abbreviations. Maybe I'm a dunce, but as an example, it took me a bit to figure out what Alaska meant. I still haven't picked up a military version, but I have every intention of doing so. I appreciate when you folks talk about sizing, because quite honestly, I don't foresee using it as a layer. I'm not going to have a jumper, a field jacket, and then the parka on at any moment. I plan to use it as the sole layer, with maybe a wool shirt underneath. I'm inbetween a 38-40 sportcoat, so I've been under the assumption a size small would be what I want.

Last spring, I picked up a navy blue Spiewak Titan fabric N-3B derivative for $12 or $15. It has quilted synthetic insulation with real fur on the snorkel. The pictures made it look like faux fur, so I was surprised when it arrived. I have no experience with titan fabric, but it makes this jacket very heavy. I can tell the fabric is very thick and hardy, but if you've ever seen it in pictures, it does give it an ugly sheen. It was so cheap that I couldn't pass it up, and it also quenched that impatience of wanting a parka sooner than later. I never got a chance to use it this winter, so it remains untested. It's fitted true to size. If they say size 40, they mean size 40.
I did post a few times that the coat was an Alpha ALASKA by ( Alpha Industries ), The ALASKA model has a very solid outer shell and if you buy the Sage Green version it will be colour correct being a lighter shade similar to the underside of a Leaf, The Military N-3B Versions that every one thinks or called Sage Green are in fact OG / Olive Green with the Colour Codes being 107 and the slightly ligher shade being 507, The colour Sage Green is in fact a Pallet range of Greens consisting of between 5 and 11 colours in total, And All the darker Green Parka's are ODG or OG 107 and 507.

The Alpha ALASKA is Sage Green and True to the Colour of this Picture, which is true to the colour you see in the movies, But all the N-3B Parka's with the White Fur Ruff that are darker in Colour are OG 107 and 507 for the lighter shade,

Another thing to Note is that the ALASKA is Not the Shinney material all other Alpha Parka's are made with and it is a lot more heavy duty, and there are some variants of this picture like my own one has Black fur in the Hood as well as Black Buttons and the Badge on the chest is all Black and all the Poppers / Press Studs are also Black, and at the time they also made them in almost pure White as well as a few other colours, But this is no light weight but it will keep the wind and rain out for sure.

ALPHA alaska_n3b_parka_sage_green_m_mjn31015c1_389740117625.jpg

ECWCS

New in Town
I have just joined the club with a Skyline N-3B from 1970, really good condition.
Not sure I will ever really manage to wear it in the UK but it looks awesome!

View attachment 540714
View attachment 540715
View attachment 540713

Sweet, I am in the UK Too, Just don't try and Wear it above 0 to 4*c if you are walking because you will sweat like a pig, They are very Warm, And don't wear them in wet Snow and if you do use a brush to knock the Snow off your Parka and NOT your Hand because your hand will melt the Snow making the N-3B Wet, That info is as per US Army Manual,

Looks like your Ruff is Coyote Fur My CG has the same looking Fur on it, The Build Quality of yours seems very High, Some of the munufacturers were not so caring with their products.

You will find that around 0*c you will have to open the coat when ever you are doing anything like walking etc, In March last year I wore my N-3 Alaska version in -8.4*c with a Windchill of -24.08*c with 80mph winds and I didn't even know it was cold out So you have bought the best Coat on the planet, So weldone.:cool:

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
Sweet, I am in the UK Too, Just don't try and Wear it above 0 to 4*c if you are walking because you will seat like a pig, They are jvery Warm, And don't wear them in wet Snow and if you do use a brush to knock the Snow off your Parka and NOT your Hand because your hand will melt the Snow making the N-3B Wet, That info is as per US Army Manual,

Looks like your Ruff is Coyote Fur My CG has the same looking Fur on it, The Build Quality of yours seems very High, Some of the munufacturers were not so caring with their products.

You will find that around 0*c you will have to open the coat when ever you ca doing anything like walking etc, In March last year I wore my N-3 Alaska version in -8.4*c with a Windchill of -24.08*c with 80mph and I didn't even know it was cold out So you have bought the best Coat on the planet, So weldone.:cool:
Thanks for all the useful information!

The parka looks amazing, I am really looking forward to those winter days now!

ECWCS

New in Town
Thanks for all the useful information!

The parka looks amazing, I am really looking forward to those winter days now!
Even the Alpha Re-Issue N-3B (N) Parkas are extremely warm when worn with the correct Kit So if you where what is in this list in this Video you should be good for -60*f/-51*c and Below, Even the Alpha N-3B's work at those temps,

The Spec for these parkas was to work at -20*f OR -28.88*c but when worn with the Kit they are Military rated down to -60*f OR -51*c and Below, So don't be fooled because they don't have 3"/75mm of Down stuffed in them because the Parkas actually work in those Temps if you keep moving As a Platoon would in those conditions as part of their daily Duties.

Here ya Go, they tell you that info in this 1974 Training film, Enjoy,

Hope that helps.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recently purchased a DJ Man Corp N-3B from 2003, very well made parka if somewhat lacking the vintage feel of earlier coats. It’s certainly wearable here in the UK from ‘chilly’ on down the temp scale…

ECWCS

New in Town
Recently purchased a DJ Man Corp N-3B from 2003, very well made parka if somewhat lacking the vintage feel of earlier coats. It’s certainly wearable here in the UK from ‘chilly’ on down the temp scale…
Yeah the DJM N-3B's are nice, I bought 2 then I sent em back Just to re-Order them again and the I Ordered another 2 and one of them turned out to be a 1990 Greenbrier in Sage Green where the DJM N-3B's are 2003 OD 107/108 ( Sage Green ), The Greenbrier is a lot Lighter Sage Green and Is a 50/50 blend of Cotton and nylon and feels thicker and tougher than the DJM which are 100% Cotton but the DJM is just as tough and are perfect when it comes to the finish product, But warmthwise there is no differance, The Greenbrier had about half a dozen tiny moth holes in the Cuffs which I Darned So it's all Good now,

People always say that when companies like Alpha their Parka's are Sage Green and people say the Colour is wrong, BUT the truth is Sage Green is a Pallet of 5 to 11 shades of Green,

Many also don't realize that the Original N-3B's were the shinney Flight Nylon that the currant Alpha N-3B's are made of and thinking they are not warm when they are actually confusing Weight with Warmth, The Nylon Parkas are a lot lighter and the Original Nylon N-3B's were Shinney also there are quite a few differances when comparing the DJM and the Greenbrier and Lancer Type Parkas to the Alpha, In brief the bottom line is the Alpha Flight Nylon N-3B's are the Original 1958 Patten, NOT to be confused with these Later Cotton variants we are talking about,

The Alpha Nylon N-3B's have a few advantages over the Cotton Variants, But the Cotton Vintage variants just look the part and have that feelgood factor it terms of that they are nice to own and look differant from any other store bought parka, One thing for sure even though the Alpha's are now made overseas they are still made to the exact Military Specs and no matter if your choice beit an Alpha or one of these Cotton Canvas Variants it is almost impossible to get cold wearing one when they are worn with the correct Military Kit or the modern day equivilents.:cool:

Peacoat

Bartender

bn1966

Just scored an Alpha N-3B Civvy in black (USA made). Waiting for the post now, hopefully it will be an improvement on the thin ‘cosplay’ Alpha I landed earlier in the year and can’t seem to sell …looks like an N-3B but without the insulation :)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Just scored an Alpha N-3B Civvy in black (USA made). Waiting for the post now, hopefully it will be an improvement on the thin ‘cosplay’ Alpha I landed earlier in the year and can’t seem to sell …looks like an N-3B but without the insulation :)
I've been looking to replace an MA-1, but I've been hesitant for this very fact. Because they're now a standard fashion item for both men and women, they're no longer really a jacket. It's now a top piece, like throwing on a cardigan. Many of them appear to have no insulation. I guess for the California market, where there's little need to warmth?

bn1966

I've been looking to replace an MA-1, but I've been hesitant for this very fact. Because they're now a standard fashion item for both men and women, they're no longer really a jacket. It's now a top piece, like throwing on a cardigan. Many of them appear to have no insulation. I guess for the California market, where there's little need to warmth?

I‘ve got 3 MA-1’s all USA made Civvy copies dating from 20 / 30 years ago. 2 Alpha that are robust (Vintage Series) with a decent amount of the polyfill type insulation. These jackets appear fairly regularly on eBay..often being touted as ‘originals’. Greenbrier version has thinner nylon and less fill but still does the job. I have an old 70’s L-2B when I want a cardigan. The N-3B I’ve referred to has virtually no insulation at all to the point of being pointless. The best Alpha jackets I’ve ever owned were from their early Replica series where they used great textiles and wool mix insulation as per early service issue..took a while to dry out if they got wet though :) had an MA-1 & N-3B…a bit over sized which is why I no longer have them.

bn1966

Black civvy USA made Alpha N-3B arrived today, has better insulation than the recent ‘cosplay’ Alpha I acquired but not as warm as my DJ Man’ service issue version. Black Alpha should be fine for chilly UK weather but will need the DJ if it gets cold.

bn1966

Actually getting to wear the DJ MAN N-3B with our current temperature drop..perfect as a throw over parka which keeps me toasty whilst walking the dog. Worth the £50 I dropped on it. Works well too whilst static E.G sat drinking coffee outside Costas because they won’t let me in with a Dawg :cool:

Vaughn2867

New in Town
Hey guys. So I've done a lot of research on N-3B's. I actually just got my hands on a nice 1969 one with wool insulation. My question is, is the fur coyote or wolf? I've heard both and I cannot find any info on which ones have wolf and which are coyote. Thanks

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys. So I've done a lot of research on N-3B's. I actually just got my hands on a nice 1969 one with wool insulation. My question is, is the fur coyote or wolf? I've heard both and I cannot find any info on which ones have wolf and which are coyote. Thanks
There is notoriously little official information available for old USAF nylon from that period. Anyone who gets keen on old USAF nylon has to accept that there's a lot of stuff we will never know. The official USAF specs probably specified "fur" and manufacturers probably (promiscuously) used whatever fur they could get their hands on at the time. The only way to be sure is to recognize the type of fur by sight and touch, which means someone who knows fur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner