Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used Jacket Wrinkles

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
So, I recently posted about trying to find my grail jacket: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/schott-x-3sixteen-grail-jacket.104212/

And lo and behold, I did enough digging to make it happen. I was able to find a used one, but the sleeves have done some heavy creasing. Obviously, over time, creasing is naturally going to happen, especially with a leather like horsehide. Even if I bought one brand new, there's a good chance it would reach this state eventually anyhow.

But, I'm curious to get your gut reactions. If this was you finding your grail jacket, and the measurements looked great, and the price was a bit high but cheaper than if you were buying new (it is your Grail jacket, after all), what would you do?

Attachments

• D8387488-C09-F-4606-AADD-7-B89370-D113-B.jpg
    D8387488-C09-F-4606-AADD-7-B89370-D113-B.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 384

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
you mean you'd prefer to develop those awesome wrinkles yourself? :) for most people here, this is a highly desired state of wrinkling, so you should buy it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Screenshot_20210514-143913_Chrome.jpg
google ad does it again.

Put on L'oreal anti wrinkle creme on the sleeve.

That's a good looking creases and if you have been waiting for it as your grail then buy it, but if your view is to break in the jacket yourself to make your own creases, then half the fun is already spent. That's my view on it.
I like to wear brand new stiff leather armor to break in myself I personally enjoy it, make pictures of it to see progress etc. While i like picture of great looking patina but for me i like to make my own. Using pictures as motivator.

Last edited:
Huh, I'm also not sure what the issue is. Sleeves crease. If you bought a new jacket, it would look pretty much exactly like that and it wouldn't even take considerable wear to get there. It's inevitability. Beautiful jacket, too.

I used to want to break in my leather jacket before but have totally since given up on the idea as it doesn't really make a difference to me. New or already worn in, all the same.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Worn in all the way!! I'm all for creases and patina!! for me the hard work has been done for you.
It takes years to get those natural creases and wear.

I've bought a few new and it sucks breaking a jacket in.

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
I don't understand the question, are creases a problem?
Not aesthetically. But I’ve never bought a used jacket with heavier creasing. Just wasn’t sure if that would present any challenges down the road, just since my body is obviously going to fit a bit differently in it.

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
View attachment 334511
google ad does it again.

Put on L'oreal anti wrinkle creme on the sleeve.

That's a good looking creases and if you have been waiting for it as your grail then buy it, but if your view is to break in the jacket yourself to make your own creases, then half the fun is already spent. That's my view on it.
I like to wear brand new stiff leather armor to break in myself I personally enjoy it, make pictures of it to see progress etc. While i like picture of great looking patina but for me i like to make my own. Using pictures as motivator.
This is hilarious. Creepy google, never subtle these days…

I feel what you are saying. That’s definitely my own experience with raw denim. But, I don’t feel too strongly about it with this jacket. Like in a perfect world, I would start this jacket at square one. But, I’d rather have this jacket broken in than no jacket at all.

mjunderw00d

Familiar Face
Huh, I'm also not sure what the issue is. Sleeves crease. If you bought a new jacket, it would look pretty much exactly like that and it wouldn't even take considerable wear to get there. It's inevitability. Beautiful jacket, too.

I used to want to break in my leather jacket before but have totally since given up on the idea as it doesn't really make a difference to me. New or already worn in, all the same.
Check my response to @Carlos840. That’s really my only potential hang up. I think it looks sweet. Just curious about future aging and whatnot.

@mjunderw00d Ah, I see what you mean now. It's a valid concern and luckily, irrelevant as other than the visual aspect, creases don't have any effect on how the jacket wears. In the long run, this Schott might have some folds right now that would not have appeared were you the only person to have worn it; Just as you might punch in some of the new ones where it didn't already have them which, to me personally, is actually a good thing as the more creases, the better.
So nothing to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB