Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using a Fountain Pen

kabuto said:
I recommend the book, "Better Handwriting" in the Teach Yourself series, by Rosemary Sassoon and a co-writer. It aims not to teach pretty handwriting, but rather mature, legible cursive handwriting that doesn't deteriorate at speed. It's the only handwriting book I've found with the adult in mind.

They don't prescribe a specific style, although they do offer a model alphabet for drills, which they recommend you do. Guess what? -- you can't learn how to do something unless you practice, duh, but it actually doesn't take that much time, the odd ten minutes in a notebook here and there for a couple of months.

One thing that Ms. Sassoon stresses is that you need to find the pen type, nib size, paper substrate, letterforms, letter slant, surface hardness, grip, and posture that works for you. One size doesn't fit all So, for better or worse, just as not every hat style or fashion style works for every face and body type, not all pens work for everybody, and a fountain pen might not be right for you.
Most people were taught writing correctly, but when we are are forced to write quickly here is where the errors of form come in trying to shorten the time per letter. When writing for pleasure it is good to slow down a bit and put the effort back into penmanship.

shortbow

Practically Family
After writing with a fountain pen for several years now, I would never use anything else. As for penmanship, if you want to irretrievably ruin it, work as a print reporter for a while. Half the time I can't read my own scrawl anymore.

shortbow

Practically Family
Yep to the shorthand thing in Jolly Olde, but over here in NA I've never met a reporter who uses it. And yes, it was in college that the ruination of my penmanship began. More and more the Ink Stained Wretch uses a recorder:rage:

I can still write legibly if I take the time and concentrate, and I use home-made ink, heavy rag paper, a quill and wax seals to write letters. It is a very pleasant exercise and forces one to slow down and enjoy the tactile and mental aesthetic. But for marching about the neighborhood, a fountain pen is the bee's knees. I really enjoy just holding the things, and writing with them is a dream.

D

DeaconKC

I have discovered that using my fountain pens does cause me to slow down and take a little more time when writing. My handwriting is still rotten, but better.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shorthand and UK reporters

GwenLake said:
I believe to be a reporter in the UK you have to have 100 w.p.m. of shorthand.

I had to pass a test of 100wpm shorthand using 'teeliine.' I got upto 120wpm. Also there are exams in law relating to journalism to be passed too. All my shorthand pads had to be kept for four years before being destroyed, as they could be called upon as evidence in court.

shortbow

Practically Family
Higher standards for sure Paddy. Not too familiar with Fleet Street, but over here, if what I read in the papers is any indication, a good many reporters are getting their credentials out of Cracker Jack boxes. There is plenty of good reportage, well written, out there but some of it,:eusa_doh: .

Edward

Bartender
shortbow said:
Higher standards for sure Paddy. Not too familiar with Fleet Street, but over here, if what I read in the papers is any indication, a good many reporters are getting their credentials out of Cracker Jack boxes. There is plenty of good reportage, well written, out there but some of it,:eusa_doh: .

The law is, I would say, a bit friendlier to the press in the US; here in the UK, we have more rigid data protection and privacy standards (and a potentially landmark privacy case just decided last week, re Max Moseley). Also, all three UK jurisdictions are much more plaintiff-friendly when it comes to libel than is the case in the US. Strict rules on evidence attach to that...

D

DeaconKC

This one just arrived today. A well used, but obviously well cared for Sheaffer Balance from 34 or 35.
005-5.jpg

SCPCC will meet Saturday, September 6th in Covina. The Southern California Pen Collectors Club has been seen on Huell Howser's Visiting Program on California PBS TV stations state wide. See Events section for more info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy