Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using natural beeswax as a waterproof/protective finish???

Phillips88

Familiar Face
Has anyone ever heard of or used 100% natural beeswax as a waterproofing/protective finish?

Iv read several places online about people applying straight 100% beeswax to their leather jackets/boots (either heating it up and making a paste or just rubbing it on like a bar of soap). Some seem to use it as a conditioner and some also use it as a sole finish to a unfinished/naked leather jacket?

I personally use Pecards for conditioning and tend to stick with it for my jackets but was just curious if anyone has tried this? Just thought it might make a good waterproofer to add occasionally when conditioning isn't needed? Any thoughts?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone ever heard of or used 100% natural beeswax as a waterproofing/protective finish?

Iv read several places online about people applying straight 100% beeswax to their leather jackets/boots (either heating it up and making a paste or just rubbing it on like a bar of soap). Some seem to use it as a conditioner and some also use it as a sole finish to a unfinished/naked leather jacket?

I personally use Pecards for conditioning and tend to stick with it for my jackets but was just curious if anyone has tried this? Just thought it might make a good waterproofer to add occasionally when conditioning isn't needed? Any thoughts?
I use a product called sno-seal on my leather boots, and have used it on a baseball glove. It is a great waterproofing agent and protects and preserves the leather.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
Pecard and Skidmores both are mostly beeswax I think, but I've only seen pure beeswax used on bowstrings and as a lubricant on zippers. And I just remembered reading an article about leather workers using it to lubricate stitching threads. Pure beeswax would be a problem to work into leather, there's probably always something thinner mixed in so it spreads.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I recently purchased a leather conditioner by Bee which consists of beeswax and some oils. (I wanted Lexol but they didn't have that, so I was stuck with picking and trying out an unknown product.) I rubbed a very thin coat of it onto one of my jackets and it got a little bit softer, still very stiff though (the jacket in question is a showroom piece for sizing and hasn't been conditioned in 5 years). The jacket so far has neither ex- nor imploded, so I guess I will try and dare to apply a second, thicker, coat of the stuff next weekend. If the jacket shows any problems that I think are related to this conditioner, I will report about it.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
I am so happy with this particular pecard for motorcycle leather. I've done almost all my jackets that haven't already been professionally cleaned and the outcome is just as good in my opinion.
9d61de4dfd3cffa3fc104045cdbc1ddd.jpg

JVanBro

Familiar Face
I'm waiting on an order of Pecard's now. When it arrives the conditioning shall begin!!
Haha yep it began for me a few days ago I have two left to do. It looks wet and shiny when you apply it but once it dries the leather is clean and beautiful.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Do you use the one with black in it or just the dressing?
This will be the first time using Pecard's. I ordered the antique dressing and the black motorcycle leather dressing. The black will be used to cover up some blemishes. Hope this stuff is as good as everyone says!!

JVanBro

Familiar Face
This will be the first time using Pecard's. I ordered the antique dressing and the black motorcycle leather dressing. The black will be used to cover up some blemishes. Hope this stuff is as good as everyone says!!
Please show the before and after if you can. I noticed some scratches disappeared using the Pecards I bought but I'm wondering if I need the black stuff too.

pak

One of the Regulars
I have several pair of White's boots. I have treated each pair with bees wax. I use a hair drier to heat the wax, and leather. I let the leather absorb as much as it will take. This process makes the leather more abrasion resistant and scuffs can be buffed out. The bees wax will buff to a nice shine and will allow polish to be applied. I also treat all of my belts, holsters and other heavier leather items. I would not treat a jacket.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
This is a Korean War era (50s) Nelco horsehide I'm currently saving for a friend. Hasn't seen daylight in years. Bottom of photo is back of the collar I just applied Pecards to. Above there is untreated.
c15ba6bbae745185ab70e2d8b383313d.jpg

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
This is a Korean War era (50s) Nelco horsehide I'm currently saving for a friend. Hasn't seen daylight in years. Bottom of photo is back of the collar I just applied Pecards to. Above there is untreated.
c15ba6bbae745185ab70e2d8b383313d.jpg
It looks definitely looks darker. Is it softer ? Did it soak up the Pecards?

JVanBro

Familiar Face
It's a shade darker but it looks like it should I think. Definitely much better. The Pecards soaks in and dries and the jacket is now a lot softer. It was practically crunchy.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Phillips88

Familiar Face
I'm gonna tell ya, ya can't go wrong using Pecards! I started using it not long ago thanks to @Monitor and some others here at TFL and haven't looked back. Just to show ya, I added it to my naked cowhide schott 141 a month or so back and it's done nothing but make the jacket that much better. Even with the naked cowhide not having that lacquered topcoat that comes on Schotts steerhide, the Pecard makes rain just shed right off of it, It's amazing. So far it seems I now have the best of both worlds, iv got the protection of a lacquered jacket but still get to enjoy the beautiful qualities of the naked cowhide.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
I'm gonna tell ya, ya can't go wrong using Pecards! I started using it not long ago thanks to @Monitor and some others here at TFL and haven't looked back. Just to show ya, I added it to my naked cowhide schott 141 a month or so back and it's done nothing but make the jacket that much better. Even with the naked cowhide not having that lacquered topcoat that comes on Schotts steerhide, the Pecard makes rain just shed right off of it, It's amazing. So far it seems I now have the best of both worlds, iv got the protection of a lacquered jacket but still get to enjoy the beautiful qualities of the naked cowhide.
Yeah I have a naked cowhide 141 also, and Pecards did a great job on it.

JVanBro

Familiar Face
Here's the old HH Nelco with one application of Pecards. It's now got much nicer color (was nearly black with white dust) and is a lot softer. I still think it should go to the professional leather cleaner but it'll be OK until I get it there. The main zipper is broken so they can replace it too.
6bd42ea098f5ec990ca9096661081185.jpg
aa48477f0969d79df4b2a75893175fee.jpg
3b3a43a9e1c1aabbce0836ed9f21ea44.jpg

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Here's the old HH Nelco with one application of Pecards. It's now got much nicer color (was nearly black with white dust) and is a lot softer. I still think it should go to the professional leather cleaner but it'll be OK until I get it there. The main zipper is broken so they can replace it too.
6bd42ea098f5ec990ca9096661081185.jpg
aa48477f0969d79df4b2a75893175fee.jpg
3b3a43a9e1c1aabbce0836ed9f21ea44.jpg
Looks like it might need a second application. Still appears to be a little dry. I just got my Pecards delivered today. I have an old CR that has been hanging up in the garage for years.....i'm giving it a dose of the antique dressing now!!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have several pair of White's boots. I have treated each pair with bees wax. I use a hair drier to heat the wax, and leather. I let the leather absorb as much as it will take. This process makes the leather more abrasion resistant and scuffs can be buffed out. The bees wax will buff to a nice shine and will allow polish to be applied. I also treat all of my belts, holsters and other heavier leather items. I would not treat a jacket.
Absolutely on the money. I ordered some pure bees-wax on ebay some time ago and use it on all of my dress shoes now, and it works beautifully. As for jackets, i wouldn't use anything on one unless it was very old and dried-out. If it's a decent jacket it already has oils and waxes processed into the leather: any maker will tell you to leave it alone.

Willybob

A-List Customer
Staight bees wax would not be advisable on a jacket. It must be heated to apply and gets hard again when it cools so not good for a flexible garment like a jacket. It would need to be cut with a fat or oil. You would then need to add an essential oil scent to hide the bad smell. Good for boots and book covers but not jackets. Picards and other similar products does it all for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24