Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN Deck Jackets period / repop

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A couple of good images of a Deck Jacket & Watch Cap, Seabee style
DSC05979.JPG

DSC05984.JPG

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2013/11/usn-seabees-museum-port-hueneme-ca.html
Images can be found here in the November, 2013 section of the blog archive, scroll down near the bottom. There are some great images of the museum in there. There are a couple of the "Columbia Calls" posters. If you look closely to the poem there is a pre war surprise lurking there.
Took me a little bit to find this blog. Originally found it by accident looking for something else.

Cheers!

Dan

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2013/11/usn-seabees-museum-port-hueneme-ca.html
Images can be found here in the November, 2013 section of the blog archive, scroll down near the bottom. There are some great images of the museum in there. There are a couple of the "Columbia Calls" posters. If you look closely to the poem there is a pre war surprise lurking there.
Took me a little bit to find this blog. Originally found it by accident looking for something else.

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks, Dan!

- Ian

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's funny. I have found a couple of Japanese reproductions of the N1. One has the brown faux fur lining and the other, above, with the grey. Close in price, being about $2 and change of each other. I'm only slightly swaying towards the one with the grey liner because it has an inside pocket. I always like pockets. But I do like the look of the brown liner too. The struggle is real.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
noj581804109_7.jpg

img55632210.jpg

For comparison.

Both are sold through Global Rakutin, so the shopping is easy. Sizing is equal, So I imagine that they are manufactured by the same plant, just branded differently through two different company names on this market place.
Probably the only vast difference, other than the liner, is the zipper. One is Talon, the other is Conmar.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I did state in post #50 that the linings were grey & brown.:) That aside, I thank you for the info on the Houston N1. Interesting indeed. It looks much like the brown lined jacket I posted, right down to the USN stencil. I had been trying to find out who put that one out.:eusa_clap
The other with the grey lining I think is distributed at least, by Military Select Shop WIP. I'm none too worried by the stencil and how it looks. I think my only concern will be on how wither one will hold up. I'm not going to drag myself under a truck or chase enemy submarines across the North Atlantic. This will be a casual use jacket, and maybe used as motorcycle jacket. As long as the fabric is sound, and the stitching is solid, we're good to go.
So for me it will boil down to the liner, and maybe that inside pocket.
Wished that the sites had reviews on these particular jackets to see what actual people that have purchased them have to say.

Cheers!

Dan

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
If you're going to go with one of these two N-1's, the one on the bottom looks best to me. That being said, the information is limited.

- Ian

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The bottom one does look better. Having said that, I would be concerned that the brown faux fur may fall off whilst the grey lining seems more durable. I have bought quite a few things from WIP. Given that their stock are in multiple locations, they do take longer time to ship and there are discrepancies in the stock level and I have at times been told that they ran out of certain item even though it is not reflected on Rakuten.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Rakuten's done this to me a few times recently. Three times on the trot in the past week, I've ordered stuff, the order has gone through and then next day I've been told it's out of stock. That said, I then bought a Toys McCoy top, and it was sent out without charging me! Swings and roundabouts...

breezer

Practically Family
Bit of a silly question, but what is Rakuten? Is it simply an online market place and how does one navigate in Japanese?
Code:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The bottom one does look better. Having said that, I would be concerned that the brown faux fur may fall off whilst the grey lining seems more durable. I have bought quite a few things from WIP. Given that their stock are in multiple locations, they do take longer time to ship and there are discrepancies in the stock level and I have at times been told that they ran out of certain item even though it is not reflected on Rakuten.

That was one of my concerns as well. While the brown faux fur looks really good, I would wager that it sheds. Not so much that it goes "bald" in a short amount of time, but all the loose stuff that wasn't cleaned out during the manufacturing process may slip. I recall some similar fabric that my Mom had purchased to make a faux fur cape (wound up making a few teddy bears insteadI. For the most part it was a very nice fur, but it did shed a bit. Like I said, it didn't go bald, but could make a mess of a lighter colored fabric.

A little more research last night yielded that the one N1 with the brown lining is sold through Hobby Mart on Global Rakutin. They go by another name on Amazon, but they are the same company.
What I may need to do is e-mail both companies and bombard them with questions. Ask both the same exact questions and see what answers I can get. Probably won't be easy, but I have time and patience. I'm in no great hurry to purchase. I've purchased items on eBay that came from Japan & China before. Reproduction WWII military clothing. All were very well constructed and are durable to wear in tough conditions. On top of it they were the least expensive item out there. I like what I see with these two jackets. Both have what they call a "Vintage Finish". Basically a pre-distressing of the fabric to soften it up and make it look like an old friend. Beats that look of fresh off the assembly line crisp.

Anyway, I will keep researching and if anything interesting pops up I will post it here. Thank you all for your input.

Cheers!

Dan

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Rakuten is a one-stop market place for Japanese clothing etc. It translates into English (with hilarious results at times) and sort of acts as a proxy buyer for the various stores. Basically, you order through the website, Rakuten confirms the order, then passes it on to the store, who then contact you directly with postage costs, after which you confirm that you want to buy, and then the purchase is processed. You have to factor in the hateful £23 handling and import charge, but I've found that with the likes of Buzz Rickson etc, the costs come in around 30 per cent under UK costs.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner