Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN G-1 experts needed! Assistance identifying. BUAER U.S.Navy

jsforthewin

New in Town
Good day to you all,

This is my first actual post and after reading posts about G1's and A2's I thought this might be the best place to seek expertise.

I'm looking for any information about the jacket; date, make and purpose. I'm thinking about purchasing but am wondering if $280 is too much for it?

I've acquired a few USN G-1's and AF A-2's over the past few years of thrifting and vintage hunting. I was on a random hunt and came across a store I hadn't been to in a while. Looking through the leathers I found a G-1 that I had never seen before. Specifically, I had never seen this type leather used and hand-warmer pockets. I was able to take a snap of the tag as well as part of the hang tag, for colour and material ref, but unfortunately I couldn't get pic of the actual jacket.

Here's the info about the jacket:

-Not regular goat skin like most, but it looked to be kidskin/lambskin in a caramel brown colour

-Not smooth leather but with a nap, almost a like suede

-Real horn buttons on collar and flap pockets

-Also had hand warmer pockets behind flap pockets***Never seen a contract jacket with handwarmer pockets

-Tag states (Buaer-U.S. Navy) which I understand is the Bureau of Aeronautics-not too sure if jackets made for them differ in material or if this is a special case?

-Not as heavy as regular G-1s, but lighter. Almost the weight of my Cooper A-2, so I think it may be a summer jacket-

-Wind flap stamped USN, mutton fleece collar, articulated shoulders, Scoville zipper with leather pull.

-Lining looks to be cotton

Please take a look at the photo:
28w1mhx.jpg

With the detail listed, this leads me to believe that this was possibly a contract ordered jacket that was never used in the field but possibly made for an official? I could be completely wrong, and that is why I'm seeking any G-1 experts out there!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jsforthewin

New in Town
Much appreciated HD, thank you!

Any other experts out there that may be able to shed some more light on this? Date, types of leathers used, etc?

It had no rips, tears or stains on the leather. The cuffs and hem webbing was in tack with no holes and it fit like a glove. Considering all of these factors, would $280 be considered too high a cost?

thor

Call Me a Cab
Flightsuits changed their company name to Gibson & Barnes about 10 years ago. They used to offer jackets made in a russet lambskin which might be what you have found. They no longer offer the russet lambskin but they do have a vintage cowhide that isn't as dark as seal brown goatskin. They have the Civil G-1 (with side entry pockets) brand new priced at $418.
The jacket you found is possibly an old Civil G-1 custom made of russet lambskin.
If that size 36 fits you perfectly, you should be able to find an actual military G-1 in your size for not much more then that $280 replica jacket. The smaller sizes come up for sale pretty often.
Good luck.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Original G1s from the 1960s onwards occasionally come up cheap, Usually they have a white label and a synthetic collar rather than the mouton on the earlier jackets. I had trouble selling a larger sized one of these for £100, eventually let it go for around £45. Would have been a good deal for someone, then got aero or Eastman to put a proper collar on it for a few quid.
Am I correct that the 60s-70s G1s were a rolled patterned steer/cow rather than the preferred goat.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I believe that the cowhide G-1's with faux-goatskin pebbled finish made their ignominious first appearance in the early 1970's; the 1960 G-1's were all goatskin.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cow hide was first used in the MIL-J- 7823E series of G-1s from 1969 through the 1970s, although goatskin was still used. I suspect the Flight Suits jacket dates from the 1980s/early 1990s.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cow hide was first used in the MIL-J- 7823E series of G-1s from 1969 through the 1970s, although goatskin was still used. I suspect the Flight Suits jacket dates from the 1980s/early 1990s.

The first E-series G-1s were made in 1971. In fact, Star was still finishing the last of their D-series jackets in that same year. Cowhide was first allowed in the E-series G-1s, but it wasn't required. Many makers continued using goatskin well into the seventies.

AF

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My US Navy G-1 issued to me in 1967 was goatskin with mouton collar. It was lightweight but warm with the genuine mouton collar. It was one of my all time favorites up to the day that it was stolen almost three years later, an incident that makes me extremely cautious where I leave a leather jacket that is out of eyesight. I plan to P/U a G&B AN-J-3 when I am in San Diego later this year (I already have a Cooper G-1). The San Diego Trolley (light rail) goes from downtown San Diego almost to the doorstop of G&B factory in El Cajon. If there is a nicer city than San Diego, I have yet to see it!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Fanch... sorry you got robbed. The only thing that makes me less cautious of having a jacket out in public is that none of my stuff would fit the average "crack diet", scum thief. Also they know that if I caught them at it, there'd be a bit of a discussion about who's property they were handling.

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fanch... sorry you got robbed. The only thing that makes me less cautious of having a jacket out in public is that none of my stuff would fit the average "crack diet", scum thief. Also they know that if I caught them at it, there'd be a bit of a discussion about who's property they were handling.

Worf

Well all I know is that nice middle class kids at University also steal stuff. I had a jacket stolen at a party full of them.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Well all I know is that nice middle class kids at University also steal stuff. I had a jacket stolen at a party full of them.

Tell me about it. Over a decade ago, I had a motorcycle tank bag stolen when I went into an upper class house to look at a motorcycle. They got my original Harley factory racing jacket. I looked around, and saw some rich kids, I knew they didn't do it. What made me even madder was the fact, that I bet the kids that stole it, all drove better cars then me!

jsforthewin

New in Town
Much appreciation to all that have posted.
I think I may pass on this, and with all of your help and knowledge I know a little more about this mystery jacket I encountered.
Thank you all again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum