Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USWINGS Jackets

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I've found two jackets on US Wings that are within my budget.

http://www.uswings.com/ta2.asp

The first two jackets ( US Wings Current Issue and US Wings Black Label Goatskin A-2 Jacket) are what I am considering to purchase.

I need your guys' help. Which one is more authentic to WWII USAAF A-2 Jackets? Which one would be better? Are these quality jackets?
Thanks fellas.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I was going to buy any one of them, the Signature Limited Edition WWII Vintage Goatskin A-2 would be it. The features as listed appear faithful to the historical A-2. I wouldn't put much stock in that supply of WWII era leather stuff.

dean

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I guess it depends on want you want Ace. If you want an type A-2 with generally speaking correct features and if the like the US Wings jacket, then I would say that Dean is right and is giving you a good choice jacket. This is a great looking jacket. Period. If you want an A-2 to run around town,work or dress. These jackets are very well constructed. Better than mall retail junk. Having said that...if you want an A-2 that is a true copy detail for detail etc., then you would have to look at other vendors. Just my 2 cents.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Go for the Black Label. I'm sure it's a decent contemporary A-2 at a very good price. From what I've seen, USW jackets are pretty well made from reasonable materials. (I had one of their Indy jackets at one point; it was an okay jacket but it didn't fit well me at all.) Anyway, USWs are comparable to all the other modern brands - Legendary, Cockpit, etc. (Frankly, I believe that one factory in NJ makes modern-spec goatskin A-2s that sell under a half-dozen different brand names.)

That said, just don't expect it to compare to a reproduction A-2 from (going up the price scale) US Authentic, Gibson & Barnes, Aero, Eastman, McCoys, Lost Worlds, Good Wear, or Rickson...

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys!

However, I am worried about something. The fact that the Black Label Goatskin A-2 is contemporary, I am worried it will detract from the vintage WWII USAAF look I want. Will it?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry: 99% of the world won't notice - it's just crazy folks like us who will!

(And if you catch the bug, chances are, you'll find yourself getting a better repro A-2 before long.)

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
(And if you catch the bug, chances are, you'll find yourself getting a better repro A-2 before long.)

Believe me, I have and have had the bug. The only thing that's stoppin' me is my current budget, although I MIGHT, COULD, POSSIBLY, MAYBE spring for the US Authentic A-2.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
uswings obstacle course

the uswings is a very nice jacket in the signature a-2, which has all the military spec features of a ww2 issue...the cut is a little different, but still the slimmer milspec squared off shape (though their sizing does run large)

the black label is totally not what you want if you want ww2 features as it has civilian slash side pockets behind the front patch pockets, which spell civi jacket, and is a signpost that this doesn't even pretend to be a copy of a ww2 jacket

as for the ww2 signature jacket, from what i've read the only difference between it and the uswings signature milspec a-2 is this fabled story about it being mid-40s leather...i don't put much stock in copywriting glitz, especially from uswings...it's not worth the $79 more than the uswings signature milspec, which is a good jacket at a great price for $250...i know, i've got one

only caveat is you will have to check your jacket over carefully when it arrives...first of these i got from uswings had the label punched right through the leather, rather than punched through a seam where it's supposed to...second one was ok, but i tried getting a uswings g-1 where i had to send them back three times and settle for a refund because each one had a rip, cut in the leather, or something like that

just check your jacket when you get it...but if you get one that doesn't come with some minor damage, the signature milspec is a very sharp and sturdy jacket...i love it

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've said it here many times: US Authentic's goatskin model, at $314, is the best buy out there for a decent repro.

Oh, you may get lucky and do better with a bargain Aero or G&B from their sale pages that somebody didn't like. But for a standard price, the US Authentic is the one. I have one of their horsehide jackets, and just for the cotton lining and wool knits alone, it's a vast improvement on the synthetics of current jackets. I also think the pocket shape is much nicer than the sharp V of the current-model jackets. The fit is trimmer, which helps get the vintage look - US A's sizing is trim but longish. Sure, the zipper and hardware isn't all that accurate, but for the price, these are great jackets.

And one other thing: US A jackets are handmade in a small shop - I was there, it's actually an old carriage house with a handful of work stations. Their jackets have a rough-hewn feel very different from the factory made products of bigger operations like USW.

My advice is to skip the USW and spend the extra $120 now. You'll be happier with the US A... For a while, at least, until you convince yourself that you really need a better repro!

jacksdad

New in Town
I have both wings and us authentic horsehide a-2's and if you want more of the WWII look go Us authentic, I was much happier with that jacket and the horsehide is thicker and it breaks in nice afte wearing it a long time.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
OneEyeMan said:
Hey Doc,
Any idea how their horsehide is?
Lenny

If you mean US A's, the hide on mine is very thick and tough. Apparently thicker than on WWII originals and most of the better repros (apart from Lost Worlds' "bulletproof" horse). The hide is springy and creaky, and some panels developed major creases when it broke in, but some are still smooth.

This thick horsehide is one of the things that's less than authentic about US A jackets, but it doesn't bother me. It's a seriously tough jacket that will probably outlast me!

If you mean US Wings' horsehide model, I haven't seen or handled one. But as I said before, I think the cotton lining and wool knits on the US A trumps any attempt to replicate a 30s/40s A-2 that uses today's standard synthetic linings and knits. I mean, it's just a standard modern-spec A-2 made in horse... Maybe jacksdad can give us some detail.

Fiver64

Practically Family
I agree

But for a standard price said:
I have a horsehide US Authentic A-2, and I have to go with this advice as well. Although perhaps there are jackets made with 100% accurate WW2 details down to the last stitch count and hand assembled by real WW2 veteran workers, in a pre-1945 quansit-hut, etc, most of us can settle for a solid 95% and the old 5-foot rule. I have been very pleased with the cut and finish of my jacket. I also feel that they are the best bet for the money, and they offer quick turnaround. Goatskin is good too, if that's better fits your budget.

As also stated........... VERY VERY few people can ever tell the difference between a $400 jacket and $700 jacket. It's all a matter of how anal YOU are comfortable with.

Many folks on FL are really into the details and the presentation, and that's very cool. You can find tons of great advice............enough to satisfy whatever level of perfection you seek!

Fiver64

Practically Family
two cent's worth

OneEyeMan said:
Thanks Doc.
I was asking about USA's Horsehide.
Lenny

Hi Lenny, If I can jump in here.......... I've had my USAuthentic horsehide for about 4 years now. While not an everyday jacket (by choice.........too many other Aeros to wear!), I do wear it probably about 30 times a year and have to say that it still is not really broken in!

The hides that I've seen, are indeed thicker than most originals probably are (but I challenge anyone to find perfectly standardized hides in ANY era of human fabrication, 100% of the time!) but it doesn't bother me either. I just figure that it can handle more of a beating, but it does take longer to break in.

The lining is among the best I've seen and their stand-up collar actual stands up! I found mine to have a slightly boxy shape in the shoulders until worn a bit, but I suspect that goat might have a better drape if that bothers anyone.

Price-wise, I am just not rich enough to justify the extra expense for an Eastman jacket, where I can't appreciate the subtle details differences that some of our fellow afficiandos look for. I found service, quality and durability and price all to work for me on my jacket.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I've said it here many times: US Authentic's goatskin model, at $314, is the best buy out there for a decent repro.

Oh, you may get lucky and do better with a bargain Aero or G&B from their sale pages that somebody didn't like. But for a standard price, the US Authentic is the one.
The supply of used higher-end repro stuff, say on eBay, is cutting off. I suspect a lot of it was collection-driven: guys who were looking to upgrade now can't afford to.

It's especially tough for sizes greater than 42. More demand and even less supply, which was inelastic to start with. (Sort of like the knits on an Eastman - lol)

RLM

Familiar Face
I've got the US Aunthentic horsehide A-2 also. I've had it for a little over a year and its beginning to break in rather well. I haven't worn it that often, since I got it the weather has been such that its too warm for a jacket one day and too cold for the A-2 a few days later. Anyway, its not a true copy of any specific OEM A-2, but more of a mix of details from different makers. But, other than someone truly into authentic A-2s, who would know, or care? I can't speak on the US Wings jackets, but the US Authentic seems to be very well made.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
The last horsehide from US Wings.

I just got my horseide jacket from US Wings it was the last one they had in a size 50. They have stop selling them (HorseHide) so I thought I would get one for my collection before they were all gone.

Well It is a thick Horsehide and well made. Doesn't have any graining :mad: and the front pockets a larger than I would of liked::( but for quality is is a well made Jacket. But it's NOT a WWII cut. I have been repairing/ restoring jackets and buying jackets for a long time and in order to know more about the business I have bought jacket from various makers. This is a hobby and a passion. My next jacket will be from Goodwear if they can make one in a modern size 48.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24