Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day Plans

kath

New in Town
I usually make a nice dinner...well a dinner that my hubby wants, so this year (and I think last year) it is meatloaf! hahha, oh well, at least he loves it. With mashed potatoes and corn & steamed broccoli, how romantic. I am trying deep fried ice cream for dessert with a homemade chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I am looking forward to dessert! Mmmm...

Same as some of you, I always thought Valentine's Day was fun and a good excuse to eat candy, and to also tell friends and family I love them. Usually I make cards and little packages for my special people, but this year I ran out of time (and money, since all my favorites live on the other side of the world).
valentine05.jpg

Here is a card I made one year, using a copy of a vintage Valentine.

kath

New in Town
oh, I forgot to mention, I used to live in North Vancouver (1.5 hours south of Whistler), and it will be fantastic! Even if the snow sucks (which it rarely does) it is unlike other mountains in the area. I absolutely love Whistler. It has a fun and romantic atmosphere too, especially in winter. Have fun!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I've never had a Valentine. :(

I'm thinking this year will be no different from other years, i.e. I will treat it as any other day.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicolettaRose said:
Me and and some of my girlfriends are going to really live it up! We are going to rent a large suite at the Ritz in SF, have spa treatments/mani/pedis and wake up in the morning and hit Union Sqaure for some major shopping!

The guy I am stuck on lives in LA, and is currently on the east coast taping a show :( ( He's not famous, just a host on a cable TV show)

I Love the San Fran Ritz:) Do you know which part you are staying in? I have family in the area, and have stayed there. This particular location has some of the coolest amenities of any hotel I've ever stayed at. Although, IMO, the Ritz NYC has a better view:) and, again IMO, nothing beats NYC :)On my most recent visit to SF I was thrilled by one of their newer amenities, iPod docks! They also have iPods that you can use, but I didn't like any of the songs that they offered. If you stay in the Club Executive Suite (you don't have to be an executive to stay in them) you have access to the executive bar (go there, you might meet a handsome business man!), a concierge that only helps people staying in that area, and other fun things like high tea. I think I remember them giving us lots of free drinks, but I could be wrong. The mini bar is packed, and you don't have to worry about needing a drink of water and having to use the sink, for they supply endless bottles of bottled water. It's a great place to stay, you should ask for a room with a fireplace, that makes me feel at home. I know NYC has 24 hour room service, I think this is pretty universal at this particular chain. It'd be fun to have a girls night there and order anything you want at 1am. The price difference between the smaller and the larger suite isn't that huge, so I'd go for it and get the bigger one. I think the smaller ones have the same access, but I'm not sure if they have the fireplace.
You and your friends will be in the lap of luxury for the night, have fun and enjoy it!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Barbie, that sounds fantastic. Whistler is an incredible mountain, although I haven't been there in quite some time. What I do know is that the snow is always perfect, the place has great summer skiing (that's when I would go), so I'd imagine that the winter snow is incredible. Also, with such thick and powdery snow, it's much easier to stay in control, so it's great for someone who hasn't skied in a while.
Enjoy, and let us know how it goes:)

I just realized that I have a first date the day after Valentine's. If things work out with him, I'll have to wait a whole entire year to celebrate Valentines with him. Which basically means that I probably won't be celebrating Valentine's with him ever knowing my luck lol

I will, perhaps I will have some fun interesting romantic news, maybe, I don't know...whatever.

Daisy! You have got to be more positive! Where is your first date to? The man? Come on give us the scoop?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
kath said:
oh, I forgot to mention, I used to live in North Vancouver (1.5 hours south of Whistler), and it will be fantastic! Even if the snow sucks (which it rarely does) it is unlike other mountains in the area. I absolutely love Whistler. It has a fun and romantic atmosphere too, especially in winter. Have fun!

Thanks for all the great skiing encouragement Ladies! I have been trying some new and retrying some old things with the b/f Marv. He bought me a pair of snow boots and we took all the kids intertubing in Tahoe over holiday break.

It was the first time in years my feet had not been in high heels. I wish my snow boots were pink.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I can't believe I forgot to mention chocolate!! A girls night in must include chocolate. Since it is a SAD day, it would be OK to indulge in extra sweets. I'm thinking cupcakes, cookies, cake, more chocolate, none of which is allowed to be in the shape of a heart, cupid, an arrow, or any other symbol of love! No pink and red sprinkles, conversation hearts, red hot hearts (although they are quite yummy!), or boxes of chocolates in lovey-dovey shapes!!
No, I'm not anti-valentines day! Not at all!!lol

As for drinks Champagne cocktails, just like a vintage woman would have drank!

YES!!!!!!! I'm so there!:D

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Champagne cocktails

Daisy Buchanan said:
Your nickname for the day is great!!lol

I can't believe I forgot to mention chocolate!! A girls night in must include chocolate. Since it is a SAD day, it would be OK to indulge in extra sweets. I'm thinking cupcakes, cookies, cake, more chocolate, none of which is allowed to be in the shape of a heart, cupid, an arrow, or any other symbol of love! No pink and red sprinkles, conversation hearts, red hot hearts (although they are quite yummy!), or boxes of chocolates in lovey-dovey shapes!!
No, I'm not anti-valentines day! Not at all!!lol

As for drinks Champagne cocktails, just like a vintage woman would have drank!

That almost makes me want to hang out with the vintage women instead of ski. LOL

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Barbigirl said:
That almost makes me want to hang out with the vontage women instead of ski. LOL

Yeah, come on Barbi, ditch that man and come hang out with us vintage gal!! The more the merrier.

But really, a girls night in that night would be perfect for me. I could have you all try to get my hair in curlers so I'll be ready for Thursday nights date:)

Elaina

One Too Many
Work at home all day (because they're giving one heck of a bonus this week for so many hours worked), dash to the dollar store to pick up cheap Valentines for the boys, dash to get kid, dash to get hubby from work, dash home to make dinner, force kid to eat dinner before we have to leave, go to boy scouts, come home, dash kid to bed, get nekkid, go to bed.

We're celebrating Friday. I need to check my mail to see if the ties I got from the lounge have come in, finish the shirt for the anniversary, make a new outfit, then go to Johnny Carino's (sort of like Olive Garden). Probably splurge and get kool-aid...er flavored wine, for after when we get cheesecake and come home and just hang out.

Not terribly romantic here, I have to say. Hubby will probably get me a gift card for fabric, or if he gets really creative, get something from the Amish catalog I have lying around (for sewing) in the form of a gift card.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, my hubby is working VDay night, so we went to a very nice brunch today, complete with a piano player. Well, actually, we went and decided while there that it could be our VDay dinner(bruch in our case). We had to buy a chest of drawers for him and he suggested that be our VDay gift to each other. Not very romantic but money is tight and I'm not going to complain, although it is our first VDay married. But we had a very nice time at the brunch this morning.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I'll probably be stuck doing homework and domestic engineering :( I would like to see my guy but there is talk of a nor'easter heading our way. Weather permitting, I suppose![huh]

Elle

New in Town
My sweetie and I will be making dinner together and exchanging homemade gifts. My gifts to him include even more food, but it's ok.
I'm really not the best cook, so its going to be a stretch for me (as I only know women who can either sew or cook, not both).
Actually, I think I should start making it now.

Sachet

Familiar Face
Eating out...exchanging traditional gifts....hopefully enjoying a self-indulgent massage at a local spa. And this time I won't let the masseuse talk! Which sounds rude, but last time I mistakenly and naively told her that I wouldn't mind if she talked and people tend to open up to me, which is fine normally. But not when I was trying to de-stress and totally relax. I ended up being so tense trying to be such a good listener and helping her solve her problems.

Lesson learned....that one of the few times I get to enjoy something not related to parenting, teaching or marriage needs to be just for me.

Trickeration

Practically Family
My husband lives about 1300 miles away from me right now. He's in the military. He comes home about once a month, but won't be back in time for Valentines Day. My day will be full of regular activites like getting the kids to and from school and their after school stuff. At night, the big band Rob and I played with will be playing, so I'm going to go see them and dance. Rob will be on his boat that day, and he'll probably just hang out and play guitar at night. We'll talk on the phone though. Oh well, that's military life for you.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Well, I'm single, so unless divine providence steps in that day, most likely I will be at home eating chocolate, drinking pinot noir, and watching something to keep my mood elevated. No since in getting depressed on V-Day. It's just one day a year. Plus (and this is just the optimist in me talking), when I do meet someone special, I'm sure he and I will do our best to make most days romantic. A girl can hope, can she not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy