Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day. What's your view?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Frankly, it stinks. Seeing all those merry couples flaunt their happy meaningless relationships with massive bouquest, stuffed animals, and candy in front of us the sentimentally bereft is sickening at best (At least that's how it is in a school environment).

Besides, of all holidays, this one's by far the bloodiest of them all! I mean, arrow-struck hearts everywhere? Might as well have gouged eyeballs, severed limbs and smoker's lungs to complete the picture.

S

Samsa

Well, as I just started seeing someone after being more or less single for the last couple years, I have a rather optimistic view of the holiday.

Even when single, though, it never particularly bothered me when Valentine's day came around. I'm not (and never have been) one of those people who must be in a relationship at all times, so the Vanentine's days that I spent alone never bothered me; solitude suits me quite well.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
My wedding anniversary.

Happy Anniversary to you and the lovely Mary Ellen:)
My grandparents were married on Valentines day and they had a very long and incredibly happy life together.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the holiday. But I'm single. My view might be different if I was in love. However, I do have a first date the day after Valentines day, so maybe next year my sentiments will be different!

Sachet

Familiar Face
It depends on who I am thinking of....

For my kids there is a special sweetness associated with the memories of homemade glitter-laden Valentine's, cookies, those necco like hearts with messages on them that they love, even to this day as teens. Many traditions were began and I hope they will be continued with their own children.

With my husband there are also traditions of long standing....mine for him always makes me grin when it's time to go shopping.

For me I know there will be chocolates to savor and a few other things that I've been hinting for. Who wouldn't enjoy a long massage in a quiet place where everything is about your comfort and relaxation?

At work it means smiles, giggles and precious words as the kidlets embrace the essence of the day which is love and hugs.

With friends it means cards and smiles.

For every holiday we can find our own things to celebrate and make them uniquely our own or let the world dictate to us. I prefer the former.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Valentine's day to me is a day like any other, generally. I like to look for an excuse to celebrate anything whether there's an occasion or holiday or not (i.e. if a day was shabby I like to set it right by doing something out of the ordinary), which is a little self-indulgent. But, oh well. :D

I am also not that big on chocolate! I have been told this is strange.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
In high school, I made heart shaped cookies for anyone who wanted them. I handed them out to people I knew, mostly. Too bad they were undercooked. I got sick after eating a couple.

Oops...

I'm also glad I didn't give one to my culinary teacher! :eusa_doh:

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Most of my colleagues are females so I am going to try to pick up a bunch of carnations on the day and pass them out to the lonely PhD gals that don’t have a beau. I figure it will give them a lift.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
CharlieH. said:
Oh, but smooching and canoodling can drown out even the noisiest films!

I thought you could only do that in a canoe?

I personally do not go in for a lot of romanticist nonsense but some of the women at work just seem so sad this time of year. I just hope that this does not make them sadder but if figured it might be nice. They always shove cookies in my desk for me to find on various holidays.

Elaina

One Too Many
Don't care. Falls between payday and my anniversary was 9 days ago My mini-Cassonova, aka 8 year old little boy, loves it. He already got the 13 year old across the street a box of candy and placed his order at the store for a carnation for her to be picked up after school. Did the same thing for a 11 year old sister of his friend too.

Elaina

One Too Many
Mmm...wait till your 8 year old is chasing girls 3-5 years older. He paid for his treats, so I don't get in it, but I got a bad feeling I'm going to have to watch him closely.

(And no, not one of you can say ANYTHING about me and the fact I've always dated younger men. ;) )

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Like Mothers Day and Fathers Day Valentine Day is a sad excuse for people who are unable to show love and affection to their loved ones the rest of the year!!!

Plus a grand marketing event.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'm with Spitfire on this one. A lot of people treat Valentine's Day as a chore. The girls force the guys into acting like they care about romance. It winds up being a lot of people acting out watered-down pop culture clichés.

Not that I mean to sound bitter, because there's really nothing wrong with the holiday. I'm a perenial single, so sometimes it can be a bit of a downer because of the profusion of happy couples, but I don't begrudge them their happiness or anything. The only reason I get down is because it sort of drives home my loneliness. I don't let it ruin my day or anything, though.

I'm a bit of a romantic in some senses, and if I were in a relationship, I don't think I'd make a big deal out of Valentine's Day; I'd rather make every day romantic instead of skating by with the barest minimum of effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy