Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day. What's your view?

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
Like Mothers Day and Fathers Day Valentine Day is a sad excuse for people who are unable to show love and affection to their loved ones the rest of the year!!!

Plus a grand marketing event.

Hear! Hear!...I agree with what the gentleman just said:eusa_clap

Phil

A-List Customer
czack said:
Dare I remind everyone it's actually St. Valentine's Day and St. Valentine was a bishop martyred in the 3rd or 4th century.

It's debateable who the actual St. Valentine is (I think there's 3 or 4 possibilities) but there is a bloody side to the day. As said before, shooting an arrow in someone's heart.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
That's what Valentine's day is all about, Charlie Brown.

Merry.jpg

Chanfan

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
I does not.
I disagree totally with that quote. ;)
Love is a very good thing. :D

It is, it is. Still, one of my favorite quotes on love is:

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. - Matt Groening

lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't mind Valentine's Day at all.

However you have problems if it's the only day in the year when you make a fuss of your significant other.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
A Reason to Celebrate!

"One February evening in North Chicago, seven well-dressed men were found riddled with bullets inside the S.M.C Cartage Co. garage. They had been lined up against a wall, with their backs to their executioners and shot to death. With the exception of Dr. Reinhardt H. Schwimmer these men were mobsters working under the leadership of gangster and bootlegger, "Bugs" Moran. Within a few seconds, while staring at a bare brick wall, these seven men had become a part of Valentine's Day history: the St. Valentine's Day Massacre."

http://www.mysterynet.com/vdaymassacre/

CharlieH.

One Too Many
redavis001 said:
"One February evening in North Chicago, seven well-dressed men were found riddled with bullets inside the S.M.C Cartage Co. garage. They had been lined up against a wall, with their backs to their executioners and shot to death. With the exception of Dr. Reinhardt H. Schwimmer these men were mobsters working under the leadership of gangster and bootlegger, "Bugs" Moran. Within a few seconds, while staring at a bare brick wall, these seven men had become a part of Valentine's Day history: the St. Valentine's Day Massacre."

Sounds like a better reason for a holiday than that for the original Valentine's Day. We can have a perfectly good excuse to dress like gangsters, and tote tommy guns!

In other news.... Today, a teacher with a rather lusty voice made this announcement on the school's PA system:
"Dear thtudenth, one thith Valentineth Day, I shal give y'all a motht looovely exam. I love you all!"

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Valentine's Day is little more than a love letter that Big Business writes to itself every year on February 14. And you, the consumer, are stuck with the postage bill.

Phil

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
Can somebody explain me please what is this ice weasel thing ?
I don't understand a word of it! [huh] :)

In the first contect of the Matt Groening quote, they're icy little animals made to represent problems in a relationship.
It is also a free program from the same company that makes the free internet browser FireFox.

Phil

A-List Customer
redavis001 said:

I guess it goes with the arrow through the hearts. I mean, at least one bullet had to have gone into someone's heart, right?

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
What a waste. Just another excuse to go out and keep the economy going.
My wife tells me " Please don't buy me flowers, they're so overpriced and its a waste because they dont last ". We eat out about 3/4 times a week so going out to dinner is no big deal.
So now what do I do ?
It could have been so easy.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
CharlieH. said:
Sounds like a better reason for a holiday than that for the original Valentine's Day. We can have a perfectly good excuse to dress like gangsters, and tote tommy guns!

Well, the original reason has to do with guys getting killed as well. So, St. Valentine's Day is about death either way you cut it. ;)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Speaking of cutting it, the ancient Aztecs had a way with hearts ...

Yes, but they also favoured a strong shove at the top of a very high staircase.:)

Mine is looking particularly unpleasant this year, I get to write a mid-term exam, so my gory movie is out of the question:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy