Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day. What's your view?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TOMORROW!

--.--
2007_02_06t141048_450x369_us_italy_embrace.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'd probably care a lot more about Valentine's Day if I could see Ryan from Wyoming again...

"Jimmy Mack, when are you comin' back?" :whistling

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Love is awesome.
Celebrating that love is awesome.
Designating a day made and fueled by how to 'out love' in the open with the largest what ever you can buy for significant 'x' is silly.

Why not a happy bill paying day?

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Love is awesome.
Celebrating that love is awesome.
Designating a day made and fueled by how to 'out love' in the open with the largest what ever you can buy for significant 'x' is silly.

Why not a happy bill paying day?

LD

Only if someone else is gonna pay those bills for me....

Anyone? Anyone?

Hondo

One Too Many
I know, I Know, I know, I know...

Right the whole Hallmark moments, but...I tend to be the romantic type, things haven’t been going well for me over the last 10 years, some real deep seated depression from a verity of things about a year ago my new flame pull me out of tail spin before I crashed, she has cast her magic spell upon me so much I am going out with both guns blazing.
I mean I had 12 fresh cut roses (one for each month since that fateful day) in a red vase all delivered nicely to her office from a near by florist, this I shelled out $180 bucks cash, just felt you got to do this once in a life time, if this doesn’t work, it will teach me a lesson, had the money what the heck! she has a dental appt. chocolate gets a bum rap, wouldn’t be appropriate, still I’ll leave her a box of chocolate to share with her gal-pals, plus a song by Frank Sinatra “I get a Kick Out of You” and my favorite song by The WHO from Tommy. “See me/listening to you” It should be interesting when she returns from the dentist. I am the best when I am goofy.
BTW: I’m also a lunch buddy at local school, for a kid from troubled home, so Valentines Day gift of a heart shaped box of Sees chocolate from Buddy the Elf lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
My absolute best valentine this year.

Will be from a gal-pal's 9 year old daughter. I gave her this little teddy bear pin I got for free from some charity thing in the mail a long time ago, and she was thrilled because she had a valentine all made up for me already. Valentine's day is about kids I think because they are such sweethearts. :) Adults just can't seem to appreciate it like we are supposed to. Remember when you were a kid in school and celebrated the day?

Elaina

One Too Many
Yup. My son's school doesn't do treats and he was so excited over these cheap little pixie stix. Then he came home today and said "What are you and I going to do for Valentine's day?" No dad, no step dad, no other guy, as he requested, we are going for a sundae and coffee and cocoa on Friday (payday) after school. He's so excited, makes it worth the it.

GOK

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
Me: "Sweetheart, instead of getting you flowers for Valentine's Day this year, I decided to look out for your future and give you a cleaner environment, instead."

Wife: *WHACK*

Marc Chevalier said:
Funny thing is, my wife would kiss me for that. For Christmas, I gave a micro loan in her name to a poor family in Ecuador that wanted to start a restaurant in their village. Veronica told me it was the best gift I'd ever given her. :) (And the Ecuadorian family is already paying back the loan, Lord bless 'em.)

Your wife sounds like a wonderful humanitarian, Marc. K and I buy things for the Third World (toilets, clean drinking water, training, educational books, trees etc.) or donate to Action Aid in each others' names instead of buying presents. We both strongly believe that we should help each other - we wouldn't see our neighbours struggling, so why should we ignore those thousands of miles away?

Back on topic....

Valentine's Day - I am a hopeless romantic but I do not need a special day to express my affections. In fact, I resent being told I have to be romantic on a certain day and if I'm not, I must be a curmudgeon. It's the same with Mother's Day, Father's Day (I never subscribed to them when I had parents, I certainly don't want my children to either), Christmas and Easter. OK, Easter and Chrimbo are different because I'm not a Christian, so I see no reason to celebrate them. In actual fact, that is the perfect excuse not to celebrate V day! Yay! :D

Birthdays are slightly different because they are personal and all too often it is easy for those we love to get bogged down in the ordinary and mundane. A birthday is a good excuse to feel special and extraordinary IMO.

So in a nutshell - Valentine's Day....bah humbug! lol

BTW, what's with the carnations? Is this an American tradition? We have red roses over here....it's all very passé, dahlinks! Oh, and I am amazed that over there, children in school celebrate it. This never happened when I was at school and I have never worked in one where it did. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that having never experienced it, I am surprised.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Valentines Day is not such a big deal over here. Anyway: When I was single I was getting depressed about those that did celebrate it (and once I got depressed when in a relationship). Now that I´m happily in love I don´t really care cause to me every day is Valentines Day to me. Me and my sweetie will give ourselves a treat anyway with ordering some yummy Indian food today - but that´s not really Valentine-ic right? lol

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
For the most part...

You boys and girls seem to be reacting not to the IDEA of the day itself but the EXECUTION of the celebration.

I've got to tell you that I had a TERRIFIC day yesterday picking out things for my wife, Helen. I bought her a small box of Godiva truffles, some D&G Light Blue perfume (which is the brand I bought her when I traveled to Sevastopol for her birthday in 2002 and which STILL makes me weak in the knees), a sentimental card, and a nice mixed flower boquet with lots of red roses.

In addition, several months ago I bought her a vintage Hermes scarf with a Mozart theme. (Our first date was five years ago this month when we went to see The Marriage of Figaro at Statsopera in Vienna.) I've been saving it JUST for today!

I am a hopeful romantic, and I'm not going to apologize to any of ya'll who aren't! Okay? ;) Besides, I think she bought ME something from Victoria's Secret!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
I don't know what's wrong with Valentine's day. I like it although it is not such a big thing here in Germany. I have a friend who always sends me a Valentine's email (he has done it today). But he always forgets my birthday. lol

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Today, I am home with a bad cold. I don't feel like being fussed over or going out to dinner. :(

Normally, we would wait until after Valentine's Day to celebrate, regardless, as it always falls right before payday.

--Leslie

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I use to detest Valentine's day...it seems as if every year around this time the strangest things would happen...strains in relationships, or breakups..never ever leaving a romantic impression on me. However, now I have my little girl who is two years old and she inspires me to make tons of paper hearts.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Originally Posted by Spitfire
Like Mothers Day and Fathers Day Valentine Day is a sad excuse for people who are unable to show love and affection to their loved ones the rest of the year!!!

I have to agree with Spitfire. We are not doing much today, I like to decorate (like my thread in the Powder Room),for holidays but I don't buy cards and such. We're cooking dinner at home, (as we always do but we did splurge on shrimp and scallops)... and hubby got me some flowers but never gets an expsensive premaid florist thing. I've told him before not to get them all the time, but he likes to.

Our anniversary is the 24th so we never worry much over Valentine's Day. Who wants to go out to dinner when EVERYONE else is anyway?

I think I just like the name, valentine... and it is a cute holiday for the kids.

On the holiday note, I think Christmas has gotten WAY out of hand. My husband and I agree it should just come about every 5 years now, that would be nice! Of course, the stores would still have their junk out three years in advance!

Davis that is sweet of you to give the gals a flower.

Nikki

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24