Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Cobra 2 with "ProPerf"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
With the return of My "Ike" from Vanson it's now time to review the two jackets purchased during our Vanson Road trip last spring. Today I'll start with the riding leather. My Bosses Boss, whom I shall affectionately call "Jim" is the proud owner of 4 Vansons. He uses em to ride, mostly classic Ducatis and a few (like 6 or so) "rice rockets". In his own words:

" I bought my first Vanson 25 years ago (a size 44!). I gave to my nephew when it (ehem) "shrunk at the dry cleaners," a euphemism for "my mid section got too big to zip the jacket up." The jacket is a quarter century old now. It's softer than new (you can actually move your arms) and has some permanent bug stains, but otherwise looks pretty much brand new. I have another Cobra (Size 50) that I wore for ten years and is also still in great shape and also "shrunk at the cleaners." It's still in the closet as motivation to get back down to "racing weight." I also have a "Relaxed Fit Sport Rider" jacket (size 52) that I still wear all the time, mostly when commuting to work. It weighs less and is much softer than the Cobras, and has some pockets on the side for keys and a wallet. I also have a Vanson textile jacket, I believe it's an "Odyssey" that I use primarily for dirt biking. "

IMG_1118_zpse9416c93.jpg

Interior shot... notice the grain.

IMG_1120_zpsbcf9efdf.jpg

Right Oblique. Jim prefers a tight form fitting jacket when riding.

IMG_1121_zps3786dc48.jpg

Rear. No face shots.... Big Jim's shy (awww).

IMG_1122_zpsdb4195c7.jpg

Side shot.

IMG_1123_zps69e63f0c.jpg

Left Oblique.

On the question of "crash worthiness" Jim adds:
"But for spirited street riding, some vintage racing and the odd track day, I doubt any company out there can claim to perform better than the Vansons I've owned. I've unfortunately had the (thankfully infrequent) opportunity to test the safety features of my jackets several times now over the years, and I can assure their abrasion resistance holds up to asphalt, gravel and even some off-corner forest floor. In every case the jacket survived, requiring no more than some black shoe polish to cover over the scuffs. The occupant (me) walked away unscathed every time, with the only long term damage the requisite and well earned derision from my colleagues."

IMG_1125_zpsb08cc74a.jpg

ProPref close-up.

"As for the new jacket, the ProPerf is amazing, allowing a great deal of cooling air to reach the rider. I have not had the opportunity to see if the zip up lining works for colder weather riding and I'd doubt it's much good at keeping you dry in the rain. But as a hot weather jacket it's the best I've owned. You can have safety and comfort!"

Jim's Final Thoughts:
"My only nit pick is the zipper. The velcro flap at the bottom of the jacket makes it darn tough to start the zipper, pretty much impossible if you are wearing a full face helmet and can't see the bottom of the jacket. The constant searching ultimately resulted in the failure of the zipper on my Size 50 Cobra. Vanson fixed it. I'd recommend these jackets (and the company) to anyone, be it serious rider or poser."

Jim's still alive and seems "happy" and well so the jacket must be working. Tomorrow a review of my "Ike".

Worf

PS: Here's a list of Jim's "Mounts":

1965 Yamaha YDS-3
1966 Yamaha YDS-3 (nearly a basket case)
1981 Suzuki GL 1100
1982 Honda CB-450
1989 Honda NT 650
1993 Ducati 900 SS
1996 Ducati 900 SS SP
2001 Honda VFR 800
2008 Honda 650 XR-L

Worf

I'll Lock Up
What's with the pipes on the wall?:D

Ahem... Ahem ah says... Jim replies to your query thusly:

"If so inclined, you could tell Sloan 1874 (a Glasgwegian !) that although 100% American I am three quarters of Scottish descent (Clan Keith, Sept Austin) and took up the pipes at a tender age. Those are my first set of pipes, although they are Pakastani-made and barely deserving of the title and thus relegated to what they do best."

Also they just had the FireFighter's Memorial Service downstairs on the Empire State Plaza. So I just got through being serenaded by massed Pipes and Drums. Being ex-military I don't mind them at all. They tend to get my "blood up".

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I thought they looked 'a bit small' and wandered if they were Northumberland Pipes or something. Personally, I think the pipes work best when they're massed together, you get that 'weight of sound'. As romantic as the image of the lone piper is, walking back and forth past one on Princes Street in Edinburgh - usually slightly out of tune and struggling for breath - is not good for the hearing. Thank Jim for his kind reply!

IXL

One Too Many
Great write up. I have a couple of the Vanson Hurricane ProPerf jackets. They are the only reason I can wear leather in the Oklahoma summer.
You might suggest to the boss-of-boss's that a small piece of velcro pushed against that bottom tab would prevent it from being a problem while trying to zip the jacket, and while the tab won't at that point really do anything, it isn't really needed. Or, he might, just might, consider (I feel foolish for even suggesting this) try zipping the jacket prior to donning the helmet. :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Errrr my Bosses Boss is monitoring this thread... Having years of practice listening to some of the.... shall we say... "amazing" things he's done to himself, his vehicles, his property..... I don't think he'd take your/my suggestion too kindly. I've 9 months to retirement... help like dat I don't need. LOL! I personally think the most interesting part of his discussion is how many times he's fallen off his bikes and lived to tell the tale!

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
Errrr my Bosses Boss is monitoring this thread... Having years of practice listening to some of the.... shall we say... "amazing" things he's done to himself, his vehicles, his property..... I don't think he'd take your/my suggestion too kindly. I've 9 months to retirement... help like dat I don't need. LOL! I personally think the most interesting part of his discussion is how many times he's fallen off his bikes and lived to tell the tale!
Worf

Oh, you meant THAT boss...the one whose uncommonly good business acumen you have oft stated is reason for awe? The one we should all be so lucky as to work under? I think I remember the gentleman now: smart, sharp, competent, confident, a real "hard charger in the business world" is how I think I remember your description, some time back.
So this is the soaring eagle whom you wish to pattern your own life after, and by extension, I do as well, based on the way you have described him. I can see how the next nine months could possibly be the most rewarding of your career.
Any man who, after being unseated several times, gets right back up and in the saddle, is ALL MAN in my book: and a Vanson jacket wearer to boot! ;);)

(Pssst, Worf , is he still watching?)

t-ray

New in Town
I have a couple of the Vanson Hurricane ProPerf jackets. They are the only reason I can wear leather in the Oklahoma summer.

Nice write up and photos. I own the Cobra in pro-perf too, and agree that it makes a great jacket for hot summer riding, while maintaining the fit and crash resistance of all good leather Vanson jackets. All the Aerostitch be-suited leather haters gonna hate, but I still prefer to ride in leather ;)

As for the zip up interior nylon lining, the only real benefit I've found is that when unzipped it creates a couple of handy temporary interior pockets. Personally I'd rather do away with the lining and just pack a thin windproof shell to throw on underneath when the evening gets chilly.

Awesome jacket and built like a tank, like all Vanson competition weight leather jackets.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Oh, you meant THAT boss...the one whose uncommonly good business acumen you have oft stated is reason for awe? The one we should all be so lucky as to work under? I think I remember the gentleman now: smart, sharp, competent, confident, a real "hard charger in the business world" is how I think I remember your description, some time back.
So this is the soaring eagle whom you wish to pattern your own life after, and by extension, I do as well, based on the way you have described him. I can see how the next nine months could possibly be the most rewarding of your career.
Any man who, after being unseated several times, gets right back up and in the saddle, is ALL MAN in my book: and a Vanson jacket wearer to boot! ;);)

(Pssst, Worf , is he still watching?)

LOL! I'm crawling here! Phew... Jim's a good egg. He's taken all of this in his usual good humor. He's actually honored to be featured and mentioned here. He's kinda shy. I personally think he should've gone a size larger in that he LOVES his grub and single malt like a good Scot would. But thanks for the belly laugh. "Hard Charger" Hah... if there was another bike or a samich at the finish line maybe. Man.. I got tears in my eyes!

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
Personally I'd rather do away with the lining and just pack a thin windproof shell to throw on underneath when the evening gets chilly.
Awesome jacket and built like a tank, like all Vanson competition weight leather jackets.

The Hurricane jacket if fully perfed and has no windproof liner. We purchased the Patagonia brand "Nano Puff" jacket to wear under the Vanson, when the weather turns cooler. The Nano is very thin and compressible, as well as being completely windproof. Also, it will easily slide into the jacket. It is a great match for any close-fitting motorcycle jacket.

IXL

One Too Many
LOL! I'm crawling here! Phew... Jim's a good egg. He's taken all of this in his usual good humor. He's actually honored to be featured and mentioned here. He's kinda shy. I personally think he should've gone a size larger in that he LOVES his grub and single malt like a good Scot would. But thanks for the belly laugh. "Hard Charger" Hah... if there was another bike or a samich at the finish line maybe. Man.. I got tears in my eyes!

Worf

:):)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
IXL!!!! What I tell ya!!!! Here's "Big" Jim's response to you...

"If so inclined, you could pass along to IXL that I do generally zip my leathers before donning my helmet, but the zipper can still be difficult to find/start. Part of this problem may be the result of the very same obstacle to my sight line that has resulted in so many of my Vanson jackets "shrinking at the dry cleaners." As for being Worf's "Bosses Boss" (sic), if he spent half as much time working as he does thinking about, buying, modifying, blogging about and modeling leather jackets we could all retire. It's therefore a good thing that he accomplishes with half his attention what most of us do with the full contingent. "

See... told ya he was a snoopin'!!!!!

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap "Big Jim,you sir, are truly a good sport. All BS aside, it sounds like you guys have a pretty good work environment. I doff my cap to you both!

IXL

One Too Many
Worf, I feel I must tell you; my wife is now quite concerned for my safety. She said that "bosses" in New York can get a person killed for committing any perceived slight. She saw something on the Discovery Channel concerning how they conduct their affairs, and suggested that I offer to do a favor, any favor requested, to try and square things up. This, it seems, is how things are done in New York.
Also, she wants me to convey that she really, really loves her horse and would like for it's head to remain attached to the rest of it, if at all possible. She further states that we would never, ever, blame "Big Jim" for the sight-alignment problems we all know are caused by irresponsible dry cleaners: bastiches. Oh, no!!...not you, "Big Jim!!"....we meant the dry cleaners...they are the bastiches......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit