Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
jimmer_5 said:
Pushrod - Fantastic looking jacket! Would you be able to put up a larger image? Or if you'd like, you can e-mail them to me and I would be happy to put them up.
I'll give it a try:
VH1.jpg

VH2.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
As someone who prefers brown leather, that's a Vanson I could wear - for me, it really is the business :)

On their website they list a hide called "Reddish Tan" - would this be the same?

A very nice jacket anyway - thanks for posting the photos, this is the first brown Vanson I've seen.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Pushrod -

Thanks for the pictures! That looks like it was an amazing jacket (sorry for rubbing salt in the wound!) I love the color, and the fit looks spot on!

You said that one was Horsehide, right? I have to admit, I have never been impressed with Vanson's Horsehide, but yours looks fantastic. Most of the Vanson HH jackets I have seen of late have had the appearance of crumpled cardboard.

May I ask if you added any custom features to this jacket? The collar looks a little larger, and the points of the collar look sharper - I think it looks better than the standard collar. Also, what size was it, and what size do you normally take?

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
jimmer_5 said:
Pushrod -

Thanks for the pictures! That looks like it was an amazing jacket (sorry for rubbing salt in the wound!) I love the color, and the fit looks spot on!

You said that one was Horsehide, right? I have to admit, I have never been impressed with Vanson's Horsehide, but yours looks fantastic. Most of the Vanson HH jackets I have seen of late have had the appearance of crumpled cardboard.

May I ask if you added any custom features to this jacket? The collar looks a little larger, and the points of the collar look sharper - I think it looks better than the standard collar. Also, what size was it, and what size do you normally take?
Yeah it was horsehide, super thick, It truly was the the thickest heaviest hide I have ever seen, it felt like a suit of armor. I loved the quality of it, It's a different tanning process than Vansons black horsehide, I think it was called oil pressed horsehide and had a different look and feel that the black horsehide they used. I can't remember the name of the color, they also had a darker brown in the same oil pressed hide. I don't think Vanson offers horsehide anymore, maybe on special order but I don't think so. You could call Vanson and maybe they might have one left in stock It was a standard size 42 enfield with no special features. It fit me perfectly and I usually take between a 40 long to a 42 standard.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
As someone who prefers brown leather, that's a Vanson I could wear - for me, it really is the business :)

On their website they list a hide called "Reddish Tan" - would this be the same?

A very nice jacket anyway - thanks for posting the photos, this is the first brown Vanson I've seen.
I forget the name they used for that color, I don't think Vanson sells horsehide anymore. I think it might be an old website out there your seeing but I could be wrong. I'd give them a call, email seems fruitless with Vanson.

juan

New in Town
Pushrod said:
I forget the name they used for that color, I don't think Vanson sells horsehide anymore. I think it might be an old website out there your seeing but I could be wrong. I'd give them a call, email seems fruitless with Vanson.
I think you can get it, but it has to be specially ordered and may take a while. I know a few of the Vanson Wolverine jackets that Logan's Closet sells have popped up recently in horsehide.

Peacoat

Bartender
Pushrod said:

When I talked with Vanson back in December, they were in the process of obtaining horse hides from a new supplier. Couldn't tell me when the hides would be in their possession or even when the deal would be finalized. I decided not to wait and went with what they are noted for doing best--competition weight cowhide.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
When I talked with Vanson back in December, they were in the process of obtaining horse hides from a new supplier. Couldn't tell me when the hides would be in their possession or even when the deal would be finalized. I decided not to wait and went with what they are noted for doing best--competition weight cowhide.
Yeah the competition cowhide is real nice. I'm impressed with the leather in the Comet I just bought.

In the process of ordering an Octagon Vanson Enfield thru Thurston Bros.
Wade sent me a Model B as a fit jacket, waiting on the Octagon sample swatch before finalizing my order.
Is the Enfield a Model B with a collar or a different cut altogether?
Model B 44 fit me like a custom = chest, sleeves, length, etc.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yeah the competition cowhide is real nice. I'm impressed with the leather in the Comet I just bought.

I wore my Vanson Enfield (competition cow) on a ride yesterday. Couldn't help but notice how well the leather has grained out. It really looks a lot like FQHH graining in some areas. So, almost 4 years later, my Vanson Competition cow is well broken in and looks great. Not completely soft yet, but that is only because I have had several jackets to break in since then. The Vanson competition hide is very nice. It looks good, and is thick enough to provide protection in the event of an involuntary dismount.

In the process of ordering an Octagon Vanson Enfield thru Thurston Bros.
Wade sent me a Model B as a fit jacket, waiting on the Octagon sample swatch before finalizing my order.
Is the Enfield a Model B with a collar or a different cut altogether?
Model B 44 fit me like a custom = chest, sleeves, length, etc.

Anybody = Is the Enfield a Model B with a collar or a different cut altogether?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Dean ole Bean... I'll be VERY interested to see how similar your Octagon is to my hide since they're sourced from different tanneries and different runs. I assume the samples met with your approval if you put in your order.

Worf

Hey Dean ole Bean... I'll be VERY interested to see how similar your Octagon is to my hide since they're sourced from different tanneries and different runs. I assume the samples met with your approval if you put in your order.

Worf

It did Dave.
Wade sent me a swatch from the batch since orders used up batch the first swatch came from.
It looks a lot like my russet holster...

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I inquired this morning about the wait for an Enfield from the factory. To my surprise and disappointment, it is 2-6 months.

Does anyone know a dealer who has them in stock?

As an alternative, I am considering a Schott 689h, which appears virtually identical, except it is made of horsehide (which I would prefer) and with a quilted lining (which I do not care for - too hot?). I cannot tell if it has a windflap.

Also, I have found one for almost an identical price to the Enfield. And I could actually wear it this season.

Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21