Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model B Compared to Schott 141 (sizing and other observations)

inspiribomb

New in Town
Hi everyone, first post here. I recently acquired a lovely Vanson Model B, and wanted to share my story, especially since it seems many people consider this jacket along with the Schott 141 and 641.

TL;DR - Both are terrific jackets, but have different cuts/fit.

Rewind several years, and I recall falling in love with the Schott 141 at a local leather shop in a little town called Osceola. The thick, soft leather, the fit, and the way it transformed my look when I put it on. My wife surprised me with one for my birthday, and I wear it to this day, mostly on the motorcycle, but also whenever I can out and about.

Somewhere along the way, I think I stumbled across this forum, and started looking at similar jackets. The Schott 641, Vanson Model B, etc. Having a muscular build, I thought maybe the 641 or B might have a more tailored fit to my body type.

Neither of these jackets are easy to come by locally, so trying to figure out my size was a challenge. I wear a size 44 Schott 141, but recall requiring a size 48 Vanson Comet when I tried it on. I read and read and read, trying to figure out which Model B size would be best. Maybe if I read long enough the internet would tell me which size I needed...

The opportunity came up to buy a Model B in competition weight cowhide. I decided to take a chance, and had the assurance that I could return the jacket if it didn't fit. As I started putting on the jacket, I was expecting to get it on about half way before it got stuck and wouldn't go any further (I had this expectation firmly in my head, so that I wouldn't be TOO disappointed when it didn't fit). Much to my surprise and glee, it slipped on like it was made just for me.

Being accustomed to the typical very STIFF Vanson jackets, I was surprised at how soft and supple this one felt. Reaching out to Vanson proved to be a worthwhile and quite pleasant experience. They informed me that the jacket is indeed competition cowhide, and was produced in 1996. I suppose that is why it's so well broken in - its about 24 years old! I did get some of the Vanson leather balm, which seemed to make the leather even softer.

So, which do I like more - the Schott 141 or Vanson Model B? Tough call. They are both stellar garments. I think the Vanson wears better off the bike, and has a slimmer, more fitted look/feel/fit. It could be a sizing thing, or the way they are cut. I think the Schott would be better for someone with some extra pounds in their belly. I expect both would last multiple lifetimes if taken care of.

So, I want to provide some sizing information that may be helpful to someone else trying to decide. And of course, will end with some pictures :) Will post more with some better lighting to show fit and comparison between the two.

Me - 5'11", 230 pounds, muscular build, 43.5" chest

Schott 141 Size 44 - Fits well with room for a sweatshirt underneath. 42 would likely be too tight in the shoulders, but may be good for someone with a smaller build or who likes the "second skin" fit (I do not). 46 would be too big. Leather is buttery soft brand new, with little break-in necessary.

Vanson Model B Size 46 - Fits very well, more fitted than the 141. Has room for a light sweatshirt, probably not anything too bulky or would be tight. I think a 44 would be too small, and 48 would be too big. Can't speak to the new leather, but Vanson is notorious for being extremely stiff, and taking a lot of time/effort to break in. Once broken in (like mine) they are incredible.

9hbv1fk.jpg

hcqGRA5.jpg

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations and welcome.
Consider posting fit photo’s.
Fit photo is worth a thousand words

SinSir

A-List Customer
I have to agree 7 out of 10 times (arbitrary ratio for sake of argument) Vanson is a better jacket than Schott. I feel much more secure and trust Vanson on the bike more by a mile. I do find my 671 to be one of my most comfortable jackets on the bike though. I don't feel like I'm wearing a suit of leather armor like Vanson or have the support but it is very comfortable.

After handling countless examples of each there are a lot of Vansons I still want and very few Schott. This wasn't always the case. I like Schott, but I'm a huge fan of Vanson.

I have to agree 7 out of 10 times (arbitrary ratio for sake of argument) Vanson is a better jacket than Schott. I feel much more secure and trust Vanson on the bike more by a mile. I do find my 671 to be one of my most comfortable jackets on the bike though. I don't feel like I'm wearing a suit of leather armor like Vanson or have the support but it is very comfortable.

After handling countless examples of each there are a lot of Vansons I still want and very few Schott. This wasn't always the case. I like Schott, but I'm a huge fan of Vanson.

Yep, same. Vanson, in general, will make you a better jacket but Schott isn't far behind and when they truly try, they'll make an equally impressive product.

Schott CXL stuff is very, very impressive.

SinSir

A-List Customer
Yep, same. Vanson, in general, will make you a better jacket but Schott isn't far behind and when they truly try, they'll make an equally impressive product.

Schott CXL stuff is very, very impressive.

I agree 110% the CXL is on a whole different level than the rest of Schott. I need!

inspiribomb

New in Town
After wearing the Vanson for a while, I switched back to the Schott 141, but cinched up the side buckles. It now fits a bit more like the Vanson, but does not quite have that tailored look and feel that the Model B has. Having said that, I enjoy both immensely :)

inspiribomb

New in Town
How do you compare B and 141's sleeve lengths?

I tried both on back-to-back, jacket zipped up half-way, sleeves zipped about half-way.

The Vanson sleeves come down to right about my first thumb knuckle (where thumbs attach to my hand) with my arms relaxed at my sides. With my arms raised perpendicular to the ground (simulating riding position), the sleeves pull back right about to my wrists.

The Schott sleeves come past my first thumb knuckle, and a bit past my wrists in the same positions mentioned above.

From a fit perspective, the Schott sleeves are slightly longer. I have not measured them to compare, this purely based on how the jackets fit my body.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
I tried both on back-to-back, jacket zipped up half-way, sleeves zipped about half-way.

The Vanson sleeves come down to right about my first thumb knuckle (where thumbs attach to my hand) with my arms relaxed at my sides. With my arms raised perpendicular to the ground (simulating riding position), the sleeves pull back right about to my wrists.

The Schott sleeves come past my first thumb knuckle, and a bit past my wrists in the same positions mentioned above.

From a fit perspective, the Schott sleeves are slightly longer. I have not measured them to compare, this purely based on how the jackets fit my body.
Thanks.

If you have time, Would you please measure both's sleeve lengths?

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
Hmmm well this is certainly interesting.

Schott 141 - 26"
Vanson Model B - 26.5"
Thanks, this is really helpful. seems vanson's sleeve lengths wore shorter than schott. Do you feel the 141's sleeve more straighter and roomier? Is 141's wrist opening as tight as model B?

inspiribomb

New in Town
Thanks, this is really helpful. seems vanson's sleeve lengths wore shorter than schott. Do you feel the 141's sleeve more straighter and roomier? Is 141's wrist opening as tight as model B?

Actually, the Model B sleeves appear straighter to my eyes, while the Schott 141 sleeves appear more curved. The Model B sleeves definitely cinch down tighter. I can feel it in my wrists, and my MC gloves/gauntlets are easier to slide over the sleeves of the Vanson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ