Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model E - 46 /XL early 80's

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Catch & Release here is a well broken in, teacore-effect Competition Weight Vanson "Highwayman" or Model E. This jacket has the fixed quilted lining, Talon main zipper (appears original), full detached belt, snap-on mouton collar, lace up sides, action back, and hardened kidney belt area in back. It does not have the leather lined Left-side interior pocket that is on newer E models.

Jacket is in very nice shape, especially after some Urad Tenderly treatments. Still quite firm of hand, the seller indicated it was used quite a bit then put away for ~ 20 years due to the first owners illness. It's ready for more road time, and this jacket is free of odors, stains, cuts, rips etc. It does show edge wear and some teacore effect, however the sun was at a low angle as I took photos this evening, so some areas may be exaggerated slightly, it's still really a true-black leather jacket.

Tagged size 46, this nearly fits longer and larger than it is, the sides can be snugged up, but he action panel back makes this jacket feel roomer than it's 24" pit to pit would suggest.

*Update 4/7/23 - Sale on Hold due to failed belt buckle. :oops:

Asking $375 Shipped CONUS - Pay Pal only please. International shipping at actual cost...

Dimensions -
Pit to Pit - 24"
Shoulder - 20"
Back - 26"
Sleeve - 25.25"
Waist - 22.5 (Adjustable)

Photos -

DSC_0893.JPG
DSC_0895.JPG
DSC_0896.JPG DSC_0899.JPG DSC_0901.JPG
DSC_0903.JPG
DSC_0906.JPG

Here's some fit photos for reference - I am 6' 1" tall, 195 lbs and wear size 36 waist jeans:

DSC_0871.JPG DSC_0872.JPG

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I thought about you with the related thread on the "42" E. I think I'm in the same boat as you, the 46 is genuinely too large, a 44 would be spot-on.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
An update - I was checking this jacket out again this morning and *broke the belt buckle.* It's odd as that was the one thing that didn't match. It's just pot metal, and was oddly silver, compared to everything else being brass.

So when I can get over to Des Monies, I will have the Fontenelle brothers put a new brass buckle on the belt.

abone

A-List Customer
Yeah, I thought about you with the related thread on the "42" E. I think I'm in the same boat as you, the 46 is genuinely too large, a 44 would be spot-on.
I’m probably between a 42 and 44 … a P2P of 23-23.5 would work…22 would be too tight.
According to Vanson’s site the 42 will have a P2P of 24.25 but I don’t believe it.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Wow, this one might be 24.25" in a stretch.
That's the only dimension keeping it from being comically too large on me.

Have you asked Carrie At Thurston's if she could order one in a custom size? They carry Vanson and can do a fit-jacket with that too I believe.

Last edited:

abone

A-List Customer
Wow, this one might be 24.25" in a stretch.
That's the only dimension keeping it from being comically too large on me.

Have you asked Carrie At Thurston's if she could order one in a custom size? They carry Vanson and can do a fit-jacket with that too I believe.
I’ve got a custom Oxford on the go with Carrie so was hoping to find a used E. I’m in no rush, something will pop up. I just bought the Raid so I’m good to take my time.
Yeah on Vanson sizing, as soon as I think I understand, I don’t.
A size 42 has 6.5” of ease. So 42+6.5=48.5/2=24.25
Is that the way it works? My 42 Raid is exactly 24.25

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
VansonRider - your timing literally could not be better!

I had just taken new photos this mornign intending to "bump" this back up. It has a new Vanson-branded solid brass buckle on the belt, and is all ready to go. Still just asking $375 with shipping CONUS - PayPal

New photos...showing the very substantial fur collar also attached as well.

DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ It's less "large" to me now, as I have a Langlitz or two that are similar in size. Sweatshirts fit under this no issue. Having the belt back allows me to snug it down and I could certainly tighten up the side laces.

On edit - I just tightened up those side laces and it transformed the fit. It's still for sale technically, but I put it in the closet where my warmer coats are kept with the sweatshirt collections, and it may just be staying there. :)

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yep -= 100% agree.

Ask me about my collection (of 2) Down filled parkas. Haven't used either rf them in ~ 3 years except one week in December alst year when it got to -15F the week prior to Christmas with 40 mph winds. At that point one of them was broken out and came in really handy. Only for a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk