Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson model E

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Man do I love this one. I think it’s a good place to hang my hat with the model E. I’ve never had one with a brown base. I pretty much wasted a day staring at it. I won’t spam the board any further, but needless to say I’m happy as a pig in Sh!t!
View attachment 335105 View attachment 335106 View attachment 335110 View attachment 335111 View attachment 335112

This was a really nice one Tony! Do you still have it around? I have never seen an "E" with the nickel hardware, as well as teacore leather such as your has here.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Saturday this jacket arrived to my door. It's an early E as per the tag, leather and the zippers (Talon main zipper). This is a size "46" and as such, it's a bit large. A layering piece. I picked it up to be a good daily driver through the spring & fall, it's plenty warm for most of the winter's we have recently had.

This jacket does not have the large leather lined interior pocket found in newer E models. It exhibits a "teacore" effect to the Comp weight steerhide. The leather was quite dry when I received it. In the photos, I ahve already applied Urad Tenderly twice and it's still pretty stiff. Fortunately not cracked. or flaking at all. @iknowleather (Dena) do you have any further suggestions, aside from more applications of the Tenderly?

While Dena looks at this, I may ask her to the main zipper, it's pretty difficult to get started at this point. My understanding from the seller on ebay was this was used for several years, then put away for ~ 20 years due to illness. I suspect being in a forced-air heated home un-disturbed was how it got so dry.

Otherwise it's a great jacket. The side laces need taken in a bit, there is a belt and a fur collar as well. I have a patch to remove off the belt, then I will provide fit photos full "dressed up".

DSC_0868.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG
DSC_0870.JPG
DSC_0871.JPG DSC_0872.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0873.JPG
    DSC_0873.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 49

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Saturday this jacket arrived to my door. It's an early E as per the tag, leather and the zippers (Talon main zipper). This is a size "46" and as such, it's a bit large. A layering piece. I picked it up to be a good daily driver through the spring & fall, it's plenty warm for most of the winter's we have recently had.

This jacket does not have the large leather lined interior pocket found in newer E models. It exhibits a "teacore" effect to the Comp weight steerhide. The leather was quite dry when I received it. In the photos, I ahve already applied Urad Tenderly twice and it's still pretty stiff. Fortunately not cracked. or flaking at all. @iknowleather (Dena) do you have any further suggestions, aside from more applications of the Tenderly?

While Dena looks at this, I may ask her to the main zipper, it's pretty difficult to get started at this point. My understanding from the seller on ebay was this was used for several years, then put away for ~ 20 years due to illness. I suspect being in a forced-air heated home un-disturbed was how it got so dry.

Otherwise it's a great jacket. The side laces need taken in a bit, there is a belt and a fur collar as well. I have a patch to remove off the belt, then I will provide fit photos full "dressed up".

View attachment 504124
View attachment 504125 View attachment 504126 View attachment 504127 View attachment 504128
Love this jacket. Oozes old quality.

View attachment 504124
View attachment 504125 View attachment 504126 View attachment 504127 View attachment 504128
Perfect fit Randy! Good to see the model E getting the attention it deserves!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Nice Randy! The jacket fit you well. For conditioning the leather I use my own formula that I have shared in the forum. Many skepticism from some members because of the tallow. Tallow happens to be used is most of the leather conditioners. However, there is Skidmore's conditioner that works but takes time to fully absorb the conditioner.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So that rather oversize "E" is gone, sold and shipped out, and a 44 has taken it's place.

Before I go any further, I find that these Highwaymen are nearly as difficult to grasp the sizing on as the Aero Highwayman jacket. Perhaps it is the timeframe these particular E's were made in, as this one also is early 80's or maybe even later 70's. Or maybe the amount of use and the number of times it got soaked on a rider, especially if the owner attempted to dry it out quickly. In any case, this "44" is much tighter than the "46" above. Such that I can only wear it with a Tee shirt. The "46" from April was much closer to a "48" and easily fit sweatshirts, etc under it. This one is more like a "42" in real life.

That aside, this jacket was one I picked up off ebay. I noted the high-quality belt, the very well kept leather, and the amount of graining that is present in this jacket. The belt itself has snaps into the jacket body to hold it in place. So it's always ready for use, but simple to un-snap all of it to remove or clean the belt. Such a simple but effective idea! Also there are snaps in place for a fur collar, but it not present with this jacket.

It has truly been well pre-loved and cherished by it's former owner (s). The seller was honest enough to admit it had a "light, sweet tobacco smell" and I would affirm, it does. (I did not know such a description could exist, but this was a pipe smoker's jacket). However it's not obtrusive, and is only lightly noticeable with the jacket on. Normally I would not consider such, but given the quality of the rest of the jacket, I decided to take a chance.

Overall the sleeves are shorter than I prefer, and the whole jacket is a touch too small of fit. That said, with a quilted lining, it's not such a big deal to be about 1 size too small, since it keeps you pretty warm all by it self. Removing the side laces makes no difference at all from where the laces are now as far as sizing.

Dimensions are:
Pit to Pit - 23.5
Shoulders - 18.5"
Waist - 21.5 (fully let out)
Sleeve - 25"
Back - 24.75"

One factor to keep in mind is these E's have a thick quilted lining, so that likely takes up 3/8" thickness in each dimension.

Overall quite a nice jacket, just was a little surprised/disappointed it came out smaller than I had hoped it would be. I'll work with it for another week or two, maybe it will be incentive to loose ~ 10-15 lbs. If not, I will likely move this beauty on. That may be difficult however, as the Competition weight steerhide is magnificent on this one.

Photos below...

DSC_0108.JPG
DSC_0105.JPG
DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0110.JPG DSC_0111.JPG Overall

Last edited:
So that rather oversize "E" is gone, sold and shipped out, and a 44 has taken it's place.

Before I go any further, I find that these Highwaymen are nearly as difficult to grasp the sizing on as the Aero Highwayman jacket. Perhaps it is the timeframe these particular E's were made in, as this one also is early 80's or maybe even later 70's. Or maybe the amount of use and the number of times it got soaked on a rider, especially if the owner attempted to dry it out quickly. In any case, this "44" is much tighter than the "46" above. Such that I can only wear it with a Tee shirt. The "46" from April was much closer to a "48" and easily fit sweatshirts, etc under it. This one is more like a "42" in real life.

That aside, this jacket was one I picked up off ebay. I noted the high-quality belt, the very well kept leather, and the amount of graining that is present in this jacket. The belt itself has snaps into the jacket body to hold it in place. So it's always ready for use, but simple to un-snap all of it to remove or clean the belt. Such a simple but effective idea! Also there are snaps in place for a fur collar, but it not present with this jacket.

It has truly been well pre-loved and cherished by it's former owner (s). The seller was honest enough to admit it had a "light, sweet tobacco smell" and I would affirm, it does. (I did not know such a description could exist, but this was a pipe smoker's jacket). However it's not obtrusive, and is only lightly noticeable with the jacket on. Normally I would not consider such, but given the quality of the rest of the jacket, I decided to take a chance.

Overall the sleeves are shorter than I prefer, and the whole jacket is a touch too small of fit. That said, with a quilted lining, it's not such a big deal to be about 1 size too small, since it keeps you pretty warm all by it self. Removing the side laces makes no difference at all from where the laces are now as far as sizing.

Dimensions are:
Pit to Pit - 23.5
Shoulders - 18.5"
Sleeve - 25"
Back - 24.75"

One factor to keep in mind is these E's have a thick quilted lining, so that likely takes up 3/8" thickness in each dimension.

Overall quite a nice jacket, just was a little surprised/disappointed it came out smaller than I had hoped it would be. I'll work with it for another week or two, maybe it will be incentive to loose ~ 10-15 lbs. If not, I will likely move this beauty on. That may be difficult however, as the Competition weight steerhide is magnificent on this one.

Photos below...

View attachment 557283 View attachment 557281 View attachment 557280 View attachment 557282 View attachment 557284 View attachment 557285 Overall
Superb E Randy! I suspect it was built in the 80’s or 90’s. If you remove the belt are there two snaps holding the belt loops in place? This method was used to fasten the belt loops during the 80’s and 90’s and these years produced the best Vanson jackets in my opinion. Best cuts and the absolute heyday for comp weight.

Jasonissm

Practically Family

Dimensions are:
Pit to Pit - 23.5
Shoulders - 18.5"
Sleeve - 25"
Back - 24.75"

Photos below...

View attachment 557283 View attachment 557281 View attachment 557280 View attachment 557282 View attachment 557284 View attachment 557285 Overall
I have a similar one from ton also size 44 and it's glorious, I just wish it were a touch shorter. I went from about 44" chest to 43" after dropping around 30 lbs. It still fits me really well and super comfortable, feels roomy in the chest but doesn't look roomy. Vanson pattern magic!

Hey J:
4+yr old post.
You still have this one??
B

Hey B. No, it’s been gone a few years now. And sold off another more recently in more recent CW too. You likely remember, the one you posted had a more vintage fit and had a grainy but thinner hide. Perfect for more casual wear. Aaaand guess what, I’m sort of after a C now though the right E may work. You know how that goes.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Well I guess I'll soon have my say in this topic as well as I've won a Vanson Model E in auction in Japan.
https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/japan/en/auction/yahoo/input/d1122466491
180eu seems like a good deal, jacket looks in fantastic shape.
I'm pretty sure the sleeves will be too long, but that's one of the easier modifications.
The the rest will hopefully fit fine.
Lot's of firsts for me with this one : mouton collar, full belt, full action back, full waist laces, epaulets...
1707484057954.png

1707484070294.png

Khilij

One of the Regulars
That Model E looks great, Tartuwolf! I think you've got a real winner there.
Well I guess I'll soon have my say in this topic as well as I've won a Vanson Model E in auction in Japan.
https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/japan/en/auction/yahoo/input/d1122466491
180eu seems like a good deal, jacket looks in fantastic shape.
I'm pretty sure the sleeves will be too long, but that's one of the easier modifications.
The the rest will hopefully fit fine.
Lot's of firsts for me with this one : mouton collar, full belt, full action back, full waist laces, epaulets...
View attachment 588745
View attachment 588746

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner